Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sol Bamba

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Seems like a decent guy actually. Took the blame for conceding the goal - and chanced his arm escaping the card. Well done him. I wish Knocky had taken taken him on a bit more though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think not booking Bambi just backed up what a Wally of a ref Atkinson was on that day...but secondly its reinforced what a stupid rule it is in the first place and should be kicked out.
As an aside I'll be following Atkinson with a bit more interest to see if he asks any players if they thought they were tripped before giving any penalties

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Yes as soon as he took it off i thought , Darn we'll never win now .

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No. I genuinely couldn't care less. If it was one of our players I hope they would have done the same as it's a ridiculous rule anyway.
Its designed to stop players lifting their shirts to reveal political, obscene or advertising slogans.

Its consistency we are all looking for.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Since we're going down this route, Bamba should have been sent off against Leicester
for a deliberate hand ball in front of goal.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Its designed to stop players lifting their shirts to reveal political, obscene or advertising slogans.

Its consistency we are all looking for.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If they do that then fine/ban them. But just for taking the top off in the elation of scoring when I would imagine you're not really thinking straight, I'm not having it. I know how excited I get when I've scored just in Sunday league football and done some pretty stupid things.

Yes if making political statements etc then punish them but who actually cares if someone is topless after scoring?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think this is more about us thinking that we’re too good to lose to team with the likes of Bamba in it, yet from my (failing) memory I seem to recall that he usually gets the better of us. Ok the ref was poor but let’s face it going down to 10 men so early killed us.
Let’s move on.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The officials allowed it by not flagging him offside when he clearly was.

I think he should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute by blatantly lying and then laughing about it. Not carded but a fine to go to charity.

This is what I was going to post. Not tying it up with the Leicester Chairman, and not as sour grapes because we lost, but firstly not being booked for something that he ought to have been booked for, and then lying to the referee and broadcasting the fact so gleefully on the media. If taking a referee for a ride is not bringing the game in to disrespect, I don't know what is.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sadly this is symptomatic of the difficult job the refs have, because players will always try to lie and cheat to get a decision their way. Both players will ALWAYS appeal for a throw-in even when it's blatant who kicked it out and that player absolutely knows he did it. The first reaction in football is to try and claim it should be going their way, to dive, to cheat, to do whatever it takes.

Anyone who is totally immersed in football seems to just accept it, but those of us who watch other sports see that it doesn't have to be that way.

"Yeah, but this is football, it matters MORE" is the nonsense that is often thrown back in response, but that's not true, any sportsman, whether it football, snooker or golf has given their life over to being as good as they can possibly be, and winning means everything. But football is morally bankrupt, and no-one will take responsibility for their own actions. he saw a way to "get away with it" so he did. Why call a foul on yourself, sportsmen don't do that, right?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sadly this is symptomatic of the difficult job the refs have, because players will always try to lie and cheat to get a decision their way. Both players will ALWAYS appeal for a throw-in even when it's blatant who kicked it out and that player absolutely knows he did it. The first reaction in football is to try and claim it should be going their way, to dive, to cheat, to do whatever it takes.

Anyone who is totally immersed in football seems to just accept it, but those of us who watch other sports see that it doesn't have to be that way.

"Yeah, but this is football, it matters MORE" is the nonsense that is often thrown back in response, but that's not true, any sportsman, whether it football, snooker or golf has given their life over to being as good as they can possibly be, and winning means everything. But football is morally bankrupt, and no-one will take responsibility for their own actions. he saw a way to "get away with it" so he did. Why call a foul on yourself, sportsmen don't do that, right?

If he had admitted it to the referee, could the referee have let him off? Is he able to give a caution through his match report after the event? Genuine questions.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This is what I was going to post. Not tying it up with the Leicester Chairman, and not as sour grapes because we lost, but firstly not being booked for something that he ought to have been booked for, and then lying to the referee and broadcasting the fact so gleefully on the media. If taking a referee for a ride is not bringing the game in to disrespect, I don't know what is.

i'd take the twatt for a ride ...end of southend pier.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If he had admitted it to the referee, could the referee have let him off? Is he able to give a caution through his match report after the event? Genuine questions.

I think he was asked at the time, so if he had admitted it, he would have just been booked there and then.

Good question on the refs report. You would think so, but I bet they can't. It probably has some idiot saying "but that's reviewing the incident on TV, and the ref can't do that blah blah blah" but obviously he should be able to say "having seen it on TV he took his short off, and that's an automatic yellow."

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I don't believe it was disrespectful on the part of Bamba.

I do think it is a stupid rule. If someone does have an offensive, political etc shirt underneath then this could be treated as a card offence in its own right if the rule was clarified / changed to specify this. My suspicion is it was actually brought in to try and reduce the chance of any crowd trouble following overly exuberant celebrations.

I do think it was further proof of the officials' incompetence on the day.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
To be honest I thought it was very worrying a referee couldn't notice a man of Sol Bamba's size running around with no shirt on. That said, I loved Sol's cheekiness and funny comments after the match and I've always had a soft spot for Warnock - the game needs characters. Not happy we lost though but life goes on!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
How about if our players made better decisions and then took their chances we could have been 3 up in 25 minutes.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Why?

It's a clear cut offence and can easily be punished after the event. I'm not worried about this instance at all, but it does seem like an easy way out for officials.

if the officials had got it right and given offside for the 'goal' , this subject would not have arisen.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The officials allowed it by not flagging him offside when he clearly was.

I think he should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute by blatantly lying and then laughing about it. Not carded but a fine to go to charity.

Got to be fair to the lino. It was only a few inches, not clear cut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here