Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dynasties

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I love the nature programmes on the BBC but as I said previously about Attenbrough, he ruins it with story telling. Dave & Luther, for goodness sake!
Serious zoologists do not anthropologise animals. They are animals not humans, so attributing human feelings to them is counter productive,
The camera work is superb. Narrate what is happening without getting over sentimental.

Bit OTT. As you've already conceded, DA doesn't give them names. As for feelings, what exactly are you referring to in last nights episode? It was a battle for supremacy with various members of the troop taking sides. It's not about narrating on exactly what is happening, it's about trying to demonstrate why it is happening, ie the king pin gets all the ladies and his genes are the ones that carry on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It was ok, still not worth £150 a year ffs, the licence fee is joke most of what the BBC put on is pish.

Really ? Numerous top dramas every year, decent sport ( MOTD ? ), and nature shows that beat everyone else handsdown. That's before we even include their news, their websites and the multitude of radio stations. Worth every single penny ..... unlike Sky.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I did find the chimp being called David a bit of a puny name, when he was in battle with Luthor, and other randy apes. Overall, it was a cracker though, like a briefer and better Planet of the Apes. Next week's looks a heartbreaker.

Hey!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bit OTT. As you've already conceded, DA doesn't give them names. As for feelings, what exactly are you referring to in last nights episode? It was a battle for supremacy with various members of the troop taking sides. It's not about narrating on exactly what is happening, it's about trying to demonstrate why it is happening, ie the king pin gets all the ladies and his genes are the ones that carry on.

The 'sympathy' from the other single males.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t see this being any different from naming domesticated pets. And what about Johnny Morris? He started it.

Domesticated animals respond to their names. Hand reared animals respond to their names. This series is supposed to be about wild animals in their natural habitat not a zoo programme.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The names were given to the chimps by scientists who have been closely studying them for twenty years.

Yes, I know. I watched the programme. It was purely for their identification of the animals. Attenborough was telling a story as if they were characters from Beatrix Potter.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, I know. I watched the programme. It was purely for their identification of the animals. Attenborough was telling a story as if they were characters from Beatrix Potter.

No, he wasn't.

Attributing names to them just made them instantly identifiable for the viewers throughout the course of the programme. There was a social dynamic going on within the troop to follow, a genuine drama, so having them 'named' just made it easier to follow the narrative IMO. Not sure why you'd have a problem with it.

Absolutely masterful television, I think it might just be the best I have ever seen. They've set the bar so high now, hope the rest of the series lives up to it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Domesticated animals respond to their names. Hand reared animals respond to their names. This series is supposed to be about wild animals in their natural habitat not a zoo programme.

Where was any claim that chimps responded to the names given to them?

I'm intrigued as to what your qualifications are to determine that wild animals are bereft of any emotions!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I thought Dave came across as a bit of a selfish bully. Learn from your beating and let some of the others have a shag now and again ffs!

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I thought Dave came across as a bit of a selfish bully. Learn from your beating and let some of the others have a shag now and again ffs!

But that was a beating and a half - the deep wound on his leg, digits bitten off and his ball sack ripped open. Poor bugger. But read on the BBC website that the next dry season he was killed and Luther took over!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Surely the licence fee represents the greatest value anywhere in the entire history of value.

Staggering levels of quality as predicted from this new show.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here