Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] They shall not grow old

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surprised there's no thread on this.

What an astounding technical achievement this film is: so many young lives walking in front of eyes. It's a film that's got everything: humour, sadness, despair but perhaps, above all, incomprehension. There's been plenty about the war this weekend, but nothing to match this.

Best bit of television this year

The pedant in me says it's a pity they misquoted "they shall grow not old" But the generous streak in me says they maybe they wanted to deliberately do that for artistic reasons which is fair enough.

Either way I look forward to watching it tonight, it looks amazing from the clips I've seen.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Great piece of work except the Title, no idea why Peter Jackson couldn't use the correct phrase...

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Watched this last night and was blown away by it. Amazing bit of tv/film-making.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
What an astounding technical achievement this film is: so many young lives walking in front of eyes. It's a film that's got everything: humour, sadness, despair but perhaps, above all, incomprehension. There's been plenty about the war this weekend, but nothing to match this. Best bit of television this year

Well put Gwylan.

It was a truly masterful use of cinematic technology and production genius to bring WW1 vividly to life, propelling the viewer into the trenches themselves. Going “over the top”, the terrifying marches across no-man's land, hand to hand combat with bayonets fixed, life changing injuries for many and the hardship and squalor of everyday life at the front with its utterly appalling conditions, all under an ear-splitting blanket of constant artillery bombardment.

The sense of camaraderie was humbling, with many young lads leaving their villages for the first time in their lives, let alone their country. The pals’ brigades where mates joined up to fight alongside each other, the unconditional sense of loyalty to one's comrades and the sheer lottery of whether or not a German bullet or a shell “had your name on it”.

And, at the end of it all, a generosity of spirit towards captured and defeated Germans “who were lads just like us”. Equally upsetting was the treatment many soldiers received on their return to Blighty, with mass unemployment among veterans and a lack of public understanding as to what the troops had endured (...how could the general public possibly begin to comprehend hell on earth?)

It is a cinematic masterpiece on the subject and should be shown in schools around the world to (vividly) illustrate the horrors of war.

I agree with you Gwylan; it is the finest programme I have seen in a long time and I doubt it will be surpassed in terms of its content, quality and poignancy.

It’s still on BBC IPlayer for the next 6 days, for those of you who may have missed it. Find 95 minutes between now and then and watch it, with your families. You will never, ever see another WW1 programme like it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
An interesting fact about the poem itself ('For the Fallen' by Lawrence Binyon) was that it was written in September 1914, i.e. just a month or so after the war started! He was 'only' mourning the dead at battles like Mons and Le Cateau. The mechanised slaughter and the horrors of the Somme and Paschendael (sp) were yet to come. Even the first battle of Ypres was in the future.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thanks for the heads up. I knew it had one night at the cinema, but had no idea when else I could watch it. I'll catch it this week - looks fascinating.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Completely realistic and moving piece of work. Those who went to the cinema showing said everyone was stunned and silent at the end.

I found myself angry as much as sad. Such a senseless waste of human life and effort.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Saw it at the cinema a few weeks ago and watched again last night. That part of the film where it slows down and turns to colour is so effectively done and expertly timed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As someone who grew up in the 60s, where I suspect many wanted to forget rather than remember, this track brings me up to date, and at the same time reminds me of the 60s, and how it all seemed back then, war so close yet far away. I haven't see the Jackson yet, just a short clip, but it looks almost too much to watch. I will, though. I hope we English never lose our cussedness. And that couple who named their kid Adolph (no thread on this???) should be exsanguinated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nw30aH7pFc

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Amazing programme, even my teenage daughter was enthralled.
I was really interested to see that many of my postcards from WW1 (I have a lot, bit sad) were in fact stills made from the footage shown last night. Among my collection are about 50 odd cards from a medical officer, and he starts from leaving Dover in 1914 all the way through till 1917 when I presumed he was killed. They start so animatedly, the excitement and all in it together but this gradually fades away as the war went on unit the final ones just have his signature..... just a sign he was still alive.
I have cards from all sides of the war and I need to dig them out again.
Incredible men, at an incredible time doing incredible things. God bless them every one.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Just watched this.
Hard to sum up my emotions, but by God I'm glad I saw it.
(For those with Sky, there is a link to it at bottom left of the 'home page' on your TV)

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Adding colour usually 'warms up' pictures - except here when it comes to adding the colour red, quite the opposite.

Apart from that, the soldiers' comments were very illuminating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here