Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Brazilian Grand Prix - if you haven’t watched, it’s worth it great race - spoiler alert

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It was clear that Ocon and Verstappen do not get on. Pundits were saying they had clashed a few times in lower formulas.

I like Verstappen, but I imagine his attitude pisses off the other drivers, some of whom try to ignore him and keep out of his way on the track, but others, perhaps the younger ones who are more likely to get wound up, may well cause problems for Verstappen on track as they will not cede or give space when as Hamilton pointed out, they have little to lose, and they have a chance to potentially screw things up for Verstappen- who has most likely pissed them off a number of times in the past!

Verstappen himself has used this ‘nothing to lose’ approach to forcing his way past the top drivers in the past, top drivers who have been more cautious as they are fighting for a championship.

Maybe he hasn’t worked out that when he gets into the lead and does have something to lose, he also needs to adjust his approach as there will be drivers coming up behind him who can collide with little consequence.

And maybe it wasn’t the best approach to fall out with so many drivers as quite a few out there may have no fear of ruining his race with dangerous moves.

Maybe he will change his approach next season but if the Honda engine doesn’t deliver, which seems likely, he may well be in for another season of collisions, frustrations, and ultimately failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope that the Red Bull is competitive next season. Be good to three 3 manufacturers competing for the Championship. Max will have to be more circumspect than he is currently. This season he has been able to be gung ho because he can just race on the day without concern about the long game. As Hamilton has shown this season sometimes you just have to accept that another car is quicker on the day and accept that some races are not winnable. Max currently just goes for it which means he can end up with a death or glory drive which is not the way to win the Championship. Vettel lost the Championship due to a similar approach as he probably had the best car in more races. Not sure Max is mature enough to win just yet, Hamilton has matured so much in recent seasons, hence the 5 Championships.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I hope that the Red Bull is competitive next season. Be good to three 3 manufacturers competing for the Championship. Max will have to be more circumspect than he is currently. This season he has been able to be gung ho because he can just race on the day without concern about the long game. As Hamilton has shown this season sometimes you just have to accept that another car is quicker on the day and accept that some races are not winnable. Max currently just goes for it which means he can end up with a death or glory drive which is not the way to win the Championship. Vettel lost the Championship due to a similar approach as he probably had the best car in more races. Not sure Max is mature enough to win just yet, Hamilton has matured so much in recent seasons, hence the 5 Championships.

The rumours are that the Red Bull will probably be the quickest car next year as they are ahead of the game with the performance regulation changes. The 4/1 about Verstappen and the 25s Gasly for next year could like massive come Australia for those of a betting persuasion. Danny Ric's face will be a picture.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The rumours are that the Red Bull will probably be the quickest car next year as they are ahead of the game with the performance regulation changes. The 4/1 about Verstappen and the 25s Gasly for next year could like massive come Australia for those of a betting persuasion. Danny Ric's face will be a picture.

I will be flabbergasted if Honda manage to deliver a fast reliable engine. Red Bull have had a poisonous relationship with their engine suppliers for years, as did McLaren once it was clear that Honda could not deliver on their promises. Add in a volatile driver and it could well be a tumultuous year at Red Bull in 2019.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I will be flabbergasted if Honda manage to deliver a fast reliable engine. Red Bull have had a poisonous relationship with their engine suppliers for years, as did McLaren once it was clear that Honda could not deliver on their promises. Add in a volatile driver and it could well be a tumultuous year at Red Bull in 2019.

I'm not so sure the Honda engine is that bad. Mclaren blamed all ills on it but the Renault engine is arguably worse using a form line through Mclaren. If it wasn't for Alonso that car is consistently one of the slowest one lap cars on the grid. Equally, Toro Rosso have had the honda all year and performed pretty well with it especially in the early part of the year. It's difficult to know how good Gasly is - Hartley isn't a good yardstick - but he's won GP2 and has out qualified the A team at time's this year. I just think a 4% chance of him winning the title is wrong, if, if the Red Bull starts off next season well adapting to the engine and regs which history and the current rumours suggest they might. I appreciate they might not either.

Equally, Verstappen could walk it. If they are quicker, he's only got himself to beat. He's clearly capable of doing that and the people I know in the industry suggest Horner doesn't really help in that regard but the speed is there if only he can engage his brain.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Get 2 drivers who don't like each other that close together and they're going to crash.

MV is a great young talent, most exciting driver to watch since a young LH appeared on the scene. He will win more than the odd race if he has a capable car under him, but he needs to grow up a bit.

McLaren are utterly woeful, the company had been run as a dictatorship for over 30 years, now Dennis has gone they're a bunch of headless chickens.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
F1 is pathetically sterile in this modern era.

James Hunt was a proper racer.

Verstappen should have gone in windmilling and Ocon could then have picked him off with a jab. Then ideally, someone could have gone over and chinned Horner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here