Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attacking intent

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
To be fair, CH has said in multiple occasions that attacking wise we are not playing to our best. We are missing the injured individuals. That's it. This isnt a permanent state, we're only going to get better from here

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Dull as dish water particularly away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did anyone ever hear the story about the football club who sacked their manager because the style of play "was boring" and spent the best part of 35 years regretting it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This . . . in spades

Yes - we do seem to attack less, as the stats show we have had the least shots in the Prem this season. Get used to it. As I've said before we are in the business of survival and if CH thinks that our current style will achieve that then who are we to argue? We are not in the Entertainment business anymore - it is more vital to survive for financial reasons than open up and be entertaining (see Fulham for what can happen with that approach).

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Did anyone ever hear the story about the football club who sacked their manager because the style of play "was boring" and spent the best part of 35 years regretting it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yes I have and something to do with fans showing their dislike for the football being played. They voted with their feet and with the club reliant in those days on pay on the gate finance income suffered. Won't happen now as clubs don't need fans money in the top division all the time Sky money is there,

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It’s boring though ain’t it ?

Compared to last year ?
Last season many of our points were 1-0 wins or 1-1/0-0 draws including at home.
We lost and didn't score away for home for vast swathes of the season with dreadful performances v West Brom, Huddersfield and Palace.
Yes. We beat Man United , Arsenal and West Ham. And this season we've beaten Man United, West Ham and Newcastle.
Yes. Last year Glenn scored a bunch of goals. And this season Glenn has scored a bunch of goals.
I didn't find any of that boring tbc. Frustrating, perplexing, angry, disappointing ometimes. but I loved West Ham/Wolves and grinding out a win. And last minute points v Saints and Fulham , nearly nicking a point at Liverpool and of course Man Utd, but boring and different to last season. Hardly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes I have and something to do with fans showing their dislike for the football being played. They voted with their feet and with the club reliant in those days on pay on the gate finance income suffered. Won't happen now as clubs don't need fans money in the top division all the time Sky money is there,

Performances can be as boring as they like as far as I'm concerned. Except that aforesaid performances are unlikely to provide us with enough points to stop us being dumped on our collective arses back into the Championship. Allowing mediocre teams to pepper your goal with 20 shots a game, as we seem to do every week now, is a recipe for disaster.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Performances can be as boring as they like as far as I'm concerned. Except that aforesaid performances are unlikely to provide us with enough points to stop us being dumped on our collective arses back into the Championship. Allowing mediocre teams to pepper your goal with 20 shots a game, as we seem to do every week now, is a recipe for disaster.

Agreed but is it really that different to last season. we had a couple of performances like against mediocre teams last season but didn't win. (Hudds, West Brom). We had 10 men against Cardiff for well over an hour. its not a surprise. And this time last season, with a similar number of points , we proceeded to go on on a run where we won once in 13 games. And still didn't end up in the bottom three. We lost away last season to several middling teams (Leicester, Everton) and some poor teams (Hudds, West Brom, Palace) and this year we've lost away to middling teams (Watford, Everton) and poor teams (Cardiff).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agreed but is it really that different to last season. we had a couple of performances like against mediocre teams last season but didn't win. (Hudds, West Brom). We had 10 men against Cardiff for well over an hour. its not a surprise. And this time last season, with a similar number of points , we proceeded to go on on a run where we won once in 13 games. And still didn't end up in the bottom three. We lost away last season to several middling teams (Leicester, Everton) and some poor teams (Hudds, West Brom, Palace) and this year we've lost away to middling teams (Watford, Everton) and poor teams (Cardiff).

I suppose you're right. Maybe it just seems worse this season because it was all shiny and new to us last season. Tho I don't remember the performances being quite so poor.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Compared to last year ?
Last season many of our points were 1-0 wins or 1-1/0-0 draws including at home.
We lost and didn't score away for home for vast swathes of the season with dreadful performances v West Brom, Huddersfield and Palace.
Yes. We beat Man United , Arsenal and West Ham. And this season we've beaten Man United, West Ham and Newcastle.
Yes. Last year Glenn scored a bunch of goals. And this season Glenn has scored a bunch of goals.
I didn't find any of that boring tbc. Frustrating, perplexing, angry, disappointing ometimes. but I loved West Ham/Wolves and grinding out a win. And last minute points v Saints and Fulham , nearly nicking a point at Liverpool and of course Man Utd, but boring and different to last season. Hardly.

You must be right Jem as 30k are turning up every other week.
All our group just pray for a result and don’t care about our performances - I mean they went to Cardiff, moaned, but will be at Huddersfield. I’m probably the odd one out in that I get so frustrated to the point I have stopped enjoying it.

You needn’t tell me my next move- I know it.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
just to add to this it was stated that the last home game Bailey was in charge of the home attendance dropped to below 10K. The club reportedly required a 22K attendance to break even. Can you imagine less than 10K for a Premier league game at the Amex? But with season ticket sales the way they are it won't happen fortunately for the club, unless of course we start to slide down the leagues again

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Deluded or club lickers? everyone fancies 3 pts against us and now they are starting to get them. Shocking summer window the championship squad played most weeks after a spend of £100m plus let’s get real we ain’t that good. How can we play on the break with a striker who can’t keep up with play what exactly is our game plan? Defend for our lives? That’s only going to end one way.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You must be right Jem as 30k are turning up every other week.
All our group just pray for a result and don’t care about our performances - I mean they went to Cardiff, moaned, but will be at Huddersfield. I’m probably the odd one out in that I get so frustrated to the point I have stopped enjoying it.

You needn’t tell me my next move- I know it.

Of course not. But i'm not seeing a very different season ...yet. And i remember that there were long periods last season without goals, points or well anything. How others are seeing it - of course its up to them/you.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Deluded or club lickers? everyone fancies 3 pts against us and now they are starting to get them. Shocking summer window the championship squad played most weeks after a spend of £100m plus let’s get real we ain’t that good.

Well yes. We lost away to Everton who are 9th and nearly won away at Chelsea yesterday and Cardiff beat us with what should have been a disallowed goal and with us having 10 men for an hour. It happens.
Yet despite our "shocking" signings and not being "that good" we have still managed to get more points than West Ham, Newcastle, Burnley, Fulham, Palace, Southampton, Cardiff, Huddersfield, and Fulham. Amazing.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Well yes. We lost away to Everton who are 9th and nearly won away at Chelsea yesterday and Cardiff beat us with what should have been a disallowed goal and with us having 10 men for an hour. It happens.
Yet despite our "shocking" signings and not being "that good" we have still managed to get more points than West Ham, Newcastle, Burnley, Fulham, Palace, Southampton, Cardiff, Huddersfield, and Fulham. Amazing.
All absolutely true, but one question, are you really enjoying watching the team play this way especially at home?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All absolutely true, but one question, are you really enjoying watching the team play this way especially at home?

Yes. I went to Watford though and that was terrible. (but that wasn't [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] point. - it was . we've spent badly, aren't any good and look likely to lose most matches)

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

This.

People need to have a word with themselves. This is our second season in the Premier League. We didn't get relegated last season which was a success in itself. We've TRIED to sign smart, but not all of them have worked out. We're trying to give players who got us here a fair crack and, collectively, it IS working out.

It's frustrating watching teams like Bournemouth and Wolves play such exciting, attacking football. But take a minute to recognise where we've come from and what we've got now. We've beaten Man United twice on the bounce and are 12th in the Premier League. As the liklihood that we'll go down decreases, we will become more adventurous.

First things first. Safety. Progress is secondary. Exciting football isn't even on the list. That's how Bloom and Hughton work.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We just got beat by Cardiff they were piss poor and us worse. Let’s see you sugar coat that one and not the 10 men excuse or a dodgy ref.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here