Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viktor Gyokeres, Aaron Connolly and .......Max Sanders?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Must admit that piss poor display this morning hasn't got my weekend off to the best of starts, but given that the inclusion of an up-and-coming youngster in a Hughton league matchday squad is rarer than rocking horse shit, it would be remiss of me not to record the naming of young Viktor Gyokeres on the bench today:-

[TWEET]1061222272147603456[/TWEET]

And, to try and stretch the feelgood factor as far as possible, our feisty little Irish goalscorer was also involved in the travelling party:-

[TWEET]1061218545391017984[/TWEET]

Obviously, the brainless Stephens now isn't going to be available (for 3 matches, presumably?) and with Propper only due to return to training on Monday, it must make the Dutchman's involvement against Leicester City somewhat questionable. With very limited options in midfield, does this raise the likelihood of Max Sanders getting a call-up to the 18? I, for one, would be delighted to see it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All 3 will be nearing their 30s before they get near the first team; and have got match fit; and been bedded in. Getting those 3 stars aligned takes an eternity at our club. It’s why we have 35 & 36 year olds keeping development squad players out the team.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Or - from what I have seen of the U-23s on you-tube - Mathias Normann ??
Too old I think - he would have had to have been named in our 25 man squad.

Of course, this squad is re-nominated at the end of January, and he could play after the transfer window opens if needed.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dont think that any of the 3 will start until the cup game in January. If Gross is fit he will partner Bissouma against Leicester. if not the other option is Bernardo who has played as a holding midfielder, I think.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Dont think that any of the 3 will start until the cup game in January. If Gross is fit he will partner Bissouma against Leicester. if not the other option is Bernardo who has played as a holding midfielder, I think.

In the Argus last month, Bernardo explained that his preferred position is central defence, but whilst he felt he could play there in Brazil or possibly Spain, he felt he was "too skinny" to play there in Germany and especially England. His second preferred position is left-back and his third is right-back (where he spent a season playing at Leipzig). IF Hughton were to select Bernardo there (in what would be his fourth-best position) over a promising youngster who has made that position his own in the U-23s and for England U-19s, Tony Bloom might as well shut down the academy and save his money.

(I am not suggesting that the choice for Leicester will simply come down to Bernardo or Sanders starting; I very much expect the central midfield two will be from Kayal, Bissouma and Propper, if he is fit; but in my humble opinion Hughton has to start putting some trust in our talented young men).

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Not sure, lots of potential but at times makes poor decisions (which is why he’s learning).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first teamers also seem to make a fair number of poor decisions! But I accept that he probably isn't ready yet. He does seem to possess some physical strength, and a good eye for a pass. Midfield certainly seems to be our biggest area of concern at present.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Aaron must have been spitting pips when Gyokeres gets on the bench ahead of him.

Do either Sanders or Barclay play in a DM role for U23’s as the first team squad is lacking cover for Stephens and is one area for me needs strengthening in Jan. ?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Aaron must have been spitting pips when Gyokeres gets on the bench ahead of him.

Do either Sanders or Barclay play in a DM role for U23’s as the first team squad is lacking cover for Stephens and is one area for me needs strengthening in Jan. ?

Sanders, over the last couple of seasons, has played the "Stephens" role in the U-23s (and for England U-19s in the European Championship finals in the summer) better than Stephens plays the role in the first team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
(I am not suggesting that the choice for Leicester will simply come down to Bernardo or Sanders starting; I very much expect the central midfield two will be from Kayal, Bissouma and Propper, if he is fit; but in my humble opinion Hughton has to start putting some trust in our talented young men).

Sky said that Kayal picked up his 5th booking today so is banned for the Leicester game along with Stephens.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sky said that Kayal picked up his 5th booking today so is banned for the Leicester game along with Stephens.

I watched the match on TV today, and didn't see Kayal get booked. The BBC website does not show a booking for Kayal; we will have to wait for the FA website to be updated on Monday for the official confirmation, but I don't think he was booked (if he was, it would indeed be his fifth booking of the season and a suspension for the Leicester game).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here