Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Atkinson

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'll come back to this after having some time/beers.

What a ****ing awful display from Atkinson and his team. Four incorrect calls cost us today, let alone all the niggly shit he gave against us. **** him.

About time referees started being held to account for performances like that.

I'd never really paid attention to his performances til I listened to Steven Gerrard's book on Audible a few months ago, where he rips into him and insinuates he is bent. Gave a shit penalty decision last game I watched him ref ,(can't remember which) then that today. I think he may have a point...

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How the feck did he not notice the shirt was off.....and how did that lineman not notice it was offside!!!! fuk them

A worse officials performance than the complete and utter shyster at Boro. Never thought I’d be able to say that.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Oh come on mate, he really wasn’t that bad and certainly didn’t cost us the game.

Yes he made some poor decisions but no more than any other ref every week and not as many as our manager and players, especially Stephens who should never have lunged in. We should have learnt that he was going to give soft fouls but we didn’t, we kept diving in.

I really admire the fact you will always defend your team, Brighton and England, but today we’ve only got ourselves to blame.

First sensible reply on here.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oh come on mate, he really wasn’t that bad and certainly didn’t cost us the game.

Yes he made some poor decisions but no more than any other ref every week and not as many as our manager and players, especially Stephens who should never have lunged in. We should have learnt that he was going to give soft fouls but we didn’t, we kept diving in.

I really admire the fact you will always defend your team, Brighton and England, but today we’ve only got ourselves to blame.

Offside goal being allowed cost us a point.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I couldn't watch yesterday so can't comment on the overall performance, but watching on MOTD it looked a bad challenge from Stephens.

Stephens does have a habit of tackling with his studs showing. He was a walking yellow card in the Everton game, it's making him a bit of a liability at the moment.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Offside goal being allowed cost us a point.

Putting aside the sending off, the offsides missed and thoughts on the stupidity of the law regarding taking your shirt off, to have missed Bamba’s goal celebrations is complete incompetance by the officials. Surely some action will be taken against them?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I couldn't watch yesterday so can't comment on the overall performance, but watching on MOTD it looked a bad challenge from Stephens.

Stephens does have a habit of tackling with his studs showing. He was a walking yellow card in the Everton game, it's making him a bit of a liability at the moment.
About the only thing the referee did get right!

The definitive homer performance if any aspiring referee wants to learn how to be a ****.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Driving home I was listening to a little bit of post match rugby interviews. As I know nothing about it I'm stuck as to who said what about whom, but.
To manager of national team "that refereeing decision at the end cost you the match, it was a bad decision wasn't it"
Reply from manager of national team "It happened and we move on. I respect the referee and accept his decision"

But regarding Atkinson, something has to be done for not booking the player at the end. He is the ref and he only has one job, watch the game. How could he not see the player take his shirt off?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think I found where Martin Atkinson got his referees kit from yesterday

5381a44ed8066d68e5c1ad3572b33f2e.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But the offside has nothing to do with Martin Atkinson. Refs do not make offside calls.

(I'm assuming the lino didn't flag and get over-ruled)

As I said in first post - should have called the thread ‘Atkinson and his shite bent officials’

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Why wwould you ask a player if he removed his shirt, you either see that he has, or did not see him celebrate with it off. There would be no reason to seek clarification from the player himself. Why ask the player and not one of his assistants, maybe he did not trust them to make that call, maybe he had seen something in the game that the linesman did not see, possible offside maybe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I said in first post - should have called the thread ‘Atkinson and his shite bent officials’

I wasn't debating with you, on this point, I was debating what seemed to be the assertion that Atkinson missing the offside cost us a point.

(I haven't actually commented on the offside yet because I watched the game live in the pub and thought it was a classic modern day non-offside, ie in an offside position but not interfering with play. I then fell asleep before MotD got round to us, but I'm told my she-who-stayed-awake that the MotD pundits suggested it shouldn't have been a goal. I'll watch it back at some point later to see for myself.)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
On a side note, and I refer to this in my original post. When the corner that eventually leads to the goal came in and they have a shot from the edge of the area, did anyone see their player holding ours literally completely stopping him from closing down the ball? As clear a foul as you’ll see - I was shouting for it at the time. So much wrong with that ‘goal’. I’ve not watched MOTD - but doubt it was picked up on etc... joke.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Forget the sending off and the offside goal, I thought it was the most biased performance by a ref against us over the 90 minutes.

He really did give them nearly everything and us very little.

Murray now seems to have had his card marked by the referees and the defenders now know it and get away with murder.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Forget the sending off and the offside goal, I thought it was the most biased performance by a ref against us over the 90 minutes.

He really did give them nearly everything and us very little.

Murray now seems to have had his card marked by the referees and the defenders now know it and get away with murder.

I know. Even forgetting the 2 major incidents the officials got wrong it was a shocker. Absolute homer.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
On a side note, and I refer to this in my original post. When the corner that eventually leads to the goal came in and they have a shot from the edge of the area, did anyone see their player holding ours literally completely stopping him from closing down the ball? As clear a foul as you’ll see - I was shouting for it at the time. So much wrong with that ‘goal’. I’ve not watched MOTD - but doubt it was picked up on etc... joke.

As balance though, did you see Stephens do an obvious block in the box for our goal?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here