Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Atkinson

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Still angry about it now, just abysmal performance from the referee on every level. The free-kicks awards throughout the game were a joke, pretty much every 50-50 to Cardiff and a few that looked clear fouls to Brighton. I think the people on here that are saying we were terrible are being very harsh. We started the game very well. And the moment you hand out a red card after half an hour, the game is over as a genuine contest and becomes something else entirely. The fact that it wasn't a red card makes it a lot worse. I had already decided I would be annoyed with even a point, but I was clearly overlooking the capacity of the officials to award a blatantly offside winner. And to ask Sol Bamba IF he took his shirt off (really? none of the four officials saw it? It will be the picture in all the papers tomorrow) is a sacking offence. Stupid rule as it is, and I'd like to see it scrapped, by booking a bloke for paying tribute to his dead owner one week and then this makes the whole thing and more particularly Atkinson a laughing stock. Bamba should be given a 10-game ban for lying to an official.

Assessor referee mark: 1/10.

And Warnock is a f***ing hypocrite. His players were diving around all game, and swarmed around the referee after the Stephens tackle asking for him to be sent off. If that refereeing display had been against Cardiff, we'd have been hearing about it for months. And while I suspect none of us would swap Chris Hughton's temperament for anyone, just occasionally you wonder if the managers that make more noise DO intimidate and influence some weaker officials. Was Atkinson scared of Warnock? Or just sh!te?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
What utter bollocks. So the ref cost us the game did he?

God, what utter drivel. We were on top when that idiot Stephens made a stupid tackle in the middle of the pitch. We lost because we then had to do our usual defending. **** all to do with the ref.

Excuses excuses.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still angry about it now, just abysmal performance from the referee on every level. The free-kicks awards throughout the game were a joke, pretty much every 50-50 to Cardiff and a few that looked clear fouls to Brighton. I think the people on here that are saying we were terrible are being very harsh. We started the game very well. And the moment you hand out a red card after half an hour, the game is over as a genuine contest and becomes something else entirely. The fact that it wasn't a red card makes it a lot worse. I had already decided I would be annoyed with even a point, but I was clearly overlooking the capacity of the officials to award a blatantly offside winner. And to ask Sol Bamba IF he took his shirt off (really? none of the four officials saw it? It will be the picture in all the papers tomorrow) is a sacking offence. Stupid rule as it is, and I'd like to see it scrapped, by booking a bloke for paying tribute to his dead owner one week and then this makes the whole thing and more particularly Atkinson a laughing stock. Bamba should be given a 10-game ban for lying to an official.

Assessor referee mark: 1/10.

And Warnock is a f***ing hypocrite. His players were diving around all game, and swarmed around the referee after the Stephens tackle asking for him to be sent off. If that refereeing display had been against Cardiff, we'd have been hearing about it for months. And while I suspect none of us would swap Chris Hughton's temperament for anyone, just occasionally you wonder if the managers that make more noise DO intimidate and influence some weaker officials. Was Atkinson scared of Warnock? Or just sh!te?

Well said. But the odd one on nsc likes to go against the grain to criticise BHA - it’s always been the same :shrug:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

God, what utter drivel. We were on top when that idiot Stephens made a stupid tackle in the middle of the pitch. We lost because we then had to do our usual defending. **** all to do with the ref.

Excuses excuses.

So the winner wasn't offside then?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So the winner wasn't offside then?

A proper Premier League team of 11, 10 or even 9 players would have had that game 'put to bed' long long before Cardiff got a late consolation goal.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

Excuses excuses.
Your fishing or your a cock womble

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The most disgraceful performance since the Xfactor still allowed fat kids off council estates to embarass themselves on the auditions.

Red card? Wrong. Stephens gets the ball with the inside of his foot. Goal? Offside. By a mile. Did we really commit three times as many fouls as them? No way. And to cap it off he asked Bamba if he removed his shirt for the goal celebration. ARE YOU ****ING BLIND MARTIN? WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU BIASED BACK TO FRONT?

We were poor today and Hughton has questions to answer. For me, the biggest thing is that last season we barely had injuries and suspensions and this season the team selection is being disrupted on a weekly basis. It's going to be a long season. But I thought we left abject homers like Atkinson back in the Championship :nono:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The most disgraceful performance since the Xfactor still allowed fat kids off council estates to embarass themselves on the auditions.

Red card? Wrong. Stephens gets the ball with the inside of his foot. Goal? Offside. By a mile. Did we really commit three times as many fouls as them? No way. And to cap it off he asked Bamba if he removed his shirt for the goal celebration. ARE YOU ****ING BLIND MARTIN? WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU BIASED BACK TO FRONT?

We were poor today and Hughton has questions to answer. For me, the biggest thing is that last season we barely had injuries and suspensions and this season the team selection is being disrupted on a weekly basis. It's going to be a long season. But I thought we left abject homers like Atkinson back in the Championship :nono:

can't disagree with any of that. Also, every match now we seem to rely on Dunk, Duffy and Ryan. D+D put their bodies on the line and make great blocks, but only because teams are having so many shots at us.

Despite our relatively good defensive record I won't be surprised if we get a good hiding soon and it might not be against a top 6 team. Just hope its not in early December!

ps - Atkinson would never have sent a home team player off for that challenge, and surely he must be censured for missing the Samba booking

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The ref in the palace game just let the game go on while Lamela was lying down with blood streaming from his head. The standard of officiating in England has to be the worst in Europe.

And then the media has a collective hissy fit when FIFA don't employ any English officials at the World Cup like they did this summer.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
A proper Premier League team of 11, 10 or even 9 players would have had that game 'put to bed' long long before Cardiff got a late consolation goal.

Maybe. But we would have got a point had it not been for the officials mistake. "These are the facts of the case and they are.. undisputed".

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe. But we would have got a point had it not been for the officials mistake. "These are the facts of the case and they are.. undisputed".

The team allowed themselves to become the 'victims' of human error.
As said a proper Premier League team would have dispatched that joke outfit long before injury time.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
It was a very poor performance by the ref. ****ing shit to be exact.

I can't say he cost us three points though, it was 1-1 when he sent off Stephens and while I think it's a harsh one I can at least understand why he gave it. He did give a lot of fouls against us, more than I've seen in a long, long time, many of which were dubious(or wrong if you want to be less diplomatic). And he (and whoever the **** of a lino was) dropped a bollock by missing the offside. So he didn't cost us three points but he did cost us one. Not booking Bamba for taking his shirt off was symptomatic of how god awful he was. Not that that had any material effect on the result, but still...

I'd say the biggest contributing factor to us not winning was how we played in the first 30 minutes. We should have smashed them out of sight, they were genuinely the worst premier league team I can remember seeing(certainly that we've played against), instead we went very passive and became increasingly sloppy, allowing them back into the game. If only we'd been more positive in that first half hour we would have been 2 or 3 goals up and Stephens's red card would have been nothing but an irritant.

We did not play particularly well before the sending off. However, remember Southampton away? We were shit in the first half but very good in the second. We did not have that opportunity this time around. Thanks to that cvnt,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Wait (as my kids say). I've just started reading back on this thread. What the **** does that have to do with the referee's performance? They are totally unconnected. If the ref was shit - and he was - that just inflates our shitness. It doesn't excuse his.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wait (as my kids say). I've just started reading back on this thread. What the **** does that have to do with the referee's performance? They are totally unconnected. If the ref was shit - and he was - that just inflates our shitness. It doesn't excuse his.
Exactly and the highlighted bit is the part that many can't come to terms with, instead preferring to hide behind the referee.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly and the highlighted bit is the part that many can't come to terms with, instead preferring to hide behind the referee.

Us being down to ten men for almost two thirds of the game I would say had a pretty big influence on how well/bad we played....a crap decision at the end compounded this by denying us a point....not sure I'm hiding behind him...its all front on

PS ive not said that much about the ref to date but thought I'd chip in

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here