Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] On this performance

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
But we scored after 6 minutes so not sure you can say we took our foot off the pedal - hadn't exactly been all out attack when we scored.
Thought we looked comfortable until a sloppy equaliser and fully believe we would have won if not for the red card.
For whatever reason we are just not keeping the ball well enough at the moment. Gross and Propper returning will hopefully improve this.
Had Izzy's shot gone in (which it very well could have done) people would be saying what a professional performance with 10 men it was.
As you say we scored in 6 mins and at that point I thought Cardiff were there for the taking we did not push enough to turn that early advantage into goals. Say Izquierdos shot had gone in then yes everybody would have been happy but it still would not have hidden the truth about how we played. As I said maybe it was lack of effort maybe it was lack of quality to convert our better position in first 30 mins... We will need to get points from next 3 games if we are to avoid a struggle.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Based on today's performance, if we play the rest of the season with 10 players for an hour every match we will struggle.

We will also need officials who give us nothing to make it work as well as it did today

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So a defeat to Cardiff and all of a sudden we are going down?

Yea I will name them.

Cardiff, Hudds, and one from Newcastle, Saints, Burnley.

Yes I have seen the scores so far today.

Along way to go in my eyes and this defeat won't be the be-all and end-all off our season and won't divine it.

Luckily we picked up 9 points on the trot that allows for results like today. Yea another 1/3 points would've been useful.

We are not playing well at all and it does irk me the way Hughton sets us up away from home but he is paid the big bucks for his decisions and as probably forgot more about football than all of us collectively know.

He knows what he is doing and I trust him.

We all have opinions I suppose and we all see things differently.

The manager may well know what he is doing, but his players are letting him down bigtime. At what point did they unlearn to string two passes together?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It's the coaching not the players

I have to agree. We set up to allow the opposition to have more of the ball. They then dominate and dictate the play leaving us throwing bodies at shot after shot with little attack. We have the lowest shots on target in the league and I cannot help feel it is because we are simply trying to defend without allowing creativity going forward.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
This is our 2nd season in the PL and nothing has changed away from home, the performances are dire. There 's a reason Dung, Duffy and Ryan have got those stats, the rest of the team are very poor at retaining the ball, closing the opposition and switching from defence to attack. Even at home we look too defensive and teams will look to attack us because we can't seem to get rid of this defensive mindset.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I have to agree. We set up to allow the opposition to have more of the ball. They then dominate and dictate the play leaving us throwing bodies at shot after shot with little attack. We have the lowest shots on target in the league and I cannot help feel it is because we are simply trying to defend without allowing creativity going forward.

We set up 4-4-1-1 the same as many other teams in this league.
In what way is this setting up to allow the opposition to have the ball?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
As you say we scored in 6 mins and at that point I thought Cardiff were there for the taking we did not push enough to turn that early advantage into goals. Say Izquierdos shot had gone in then yes everybody would have been happy but it still would not have hidden the truth about how we played. As I said maybe it was lack of effort maybe it was lack of quality to convert our better position in first 30 mins... We will need to get points from next 3 games if we are to avoid a struggle.

Agree to an extent but I don't think we sat back or took our foot of the pedal. I just think we are showing an inability to hold onto the ball at present.
Missing Gross and Propper hugely imho.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
We set up 4-4-1-1 the same as many other teams in this league.
In what way is this setting up to allow the opposition to have the ball?

Because we sit very deep and allow the opposition the ball. We have not had over 50% in ANY game this season and total about 36% across all games. We do not set up to attack teams, we set up to keep other teams out. You must be able to see that?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Very poor against andreadful side. 10 or not!

Ok watching the game on the tv but our passing and more importantly, holding of the ball is woeful and I am very unimpressed with our summer signings apart from Montoya. If andone was worth waiting for, I am not sure he is all that. He struggled to hold the ball up and looked totally clueless.

Now suddenly we are looking at the Leicester game as a must win to get us back on track and Leicester are a far better team than we are.

It's going to be a bloody long season.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
The manager may well know what he is doing, but his players are letting him down bigtime. At what point did they unlearn to string two passes together?
That's a question for the players not me. I'm sure he will get them singing again.

It's one poor result and this will be a long hard slog. I trust Hughton to use the squad to manage the games and would goes as far to say I very confident he will be relying on the new recruits as the season pans out.

Again, I just see it different to others and won't let it ruin my weekend. We have been in far worse position than this and that's why I think positive when it comes to the Albion.

Always see the positive. [emoji106]

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

I think the general tactics are to firstly sit deep and try to shut down any possession the opposition have of the ball giving us the control to dictate the game better .Then we start to work on pushing forward and looking for a goal. The problem is we don't ever seem to achieve getting past the possession bit. We're becoming very out of territory whenever we're going forward. Our possession play has become far too panicky of recent, even with the recent wins. We need a midfielder in January. Bissouma looks like he has potential, but is still very raw. Reminds me of when Rohan Ince first came onto the scene. Hopefully he won't go in the same direction career wise.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Because we sit very deep and allow the opposition the ball. We have not had over 50% in ANY game this season and total about 36% across all games. We do not set up to attack teams, we set up to keep other teams out. You must be able to see that?

I don't think we do ALLOW the opposition to have the ball - I just think that without Gross and Propper we have not kept it well enough or played well enough.
I also think with 2 wingers and 2 attacking players up top we are set up to attack but because we are not keeping the ball well enough we end up getting pushed back.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Ok watching the game on the tv but our passing and more importantly, holding of the ball is woeful and I am very unimpressed with our summer signings apart from Montoya. If andone was worth waiting for, I am not sure he is all that. He struggled to hold the ball up and looked totally clueless.

Now suddenly we are looking at the Leicester game as a must win to get us back on track and Leicester are a far better team than we are.

You watched the opposite game to me. Montoya was poor against their wingers who had the beating of him every time and Andone looked like the only attacking player who could control a ball and bring others into play. We improved after he came on and Murray went off.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Disagree entirely I thought he was a major plus point

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You watched the opposite game to me. Montoya was poor against their wingers who had the beating of him every time and Andone looked like the only attacking player who could control a ball and bring others into play. We improved after he came on and Murray went off.

Each to his own

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't think we do ALLOW the opposition to have the ball - I just think that without Gross and Propper we have not kept it well enough or played well enough.
I also think with 2 wingers and 2 attacking players up top we are set up to attack but because we are not keeping the ball well enough we end up getting pushed back.

You can have 10 attacking players start, but if they all sit on the 18 yard line then they’re just attacking players who are being asked to defend all game. Izquierdo spends most of every game in Bong’s shirt they’re that close!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Very likely I'd had too many beers, and Cardiff were definitely bobbins and I despair of our approach to away games, but I thought we set up sensibly and defended resolutely when a man down on the road in a Prem game. It all kinda feels irrelevant given the farcical refereeing. Felt like sticking a pen through my chest when I saw that Stephens sending off at half-time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here