Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Road traffic poser - what would YOU do ?

who goes first ?

• Neither has priority

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 12 to 6 has priority

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 9 to 6 has priority

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • First one there has priority

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There is a junction near me with 4 roads at 12,3,6 & 9 o clock. The right of way is from 3 to 6 and 6 to 3. The other two roads both have give way markings (no other signs).

If two cars are waiting at the give way signs, one wanting to go straight on from 12 to 6 and one wanting to go right from 9 to 6, who has "right of way" ?

junction.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ride straight across the junction.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Going 9-6, I would go down Eversfield Road instead. HTH. :D

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unusual junction.

I would go for roundabout rules. They should both be looking for oncoming traffic to their right.

If they are both at a complete stop, then they can go at the same time in theory, so there is no right of way... but as they will be looking to traffic to their right, it will likely be 9 o'clock who moves first.

Same here. Following roundabout rules, with care.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Same here. Following roundabout rules, with care.

Absolutely this, I use this road on a regular basis and have used all entrances to this junction ( mainly looking for rat runs or parking) and have never had a problem or encountered other road users being confused or not realising who has priority.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Unusual junction.

I would go for roundabout rules. They should both be looking for oncoming traffic to their right.

If they are both at a complete stop, then they can go at the same time in theory, so there is no right of way... but as they will be looking to traffic to their right, it will likely be 9 o'clock who moves first.

I'm guessing here 9 to 6 has right of way, the other had to give way to the right!

This.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Who ever is the friendliest and waves the other on .... if no one gives way then just go full throttle :p

Personally I would think the one with the clearest view would be the best judge and should wave the other on , but lets face it there are not that many 'good mannered' drivers about

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
There is a junction near me with 4 roads at 12,3,6 & 9 o clock. The right of way is from 3 to 6 and 6 to 3. The other two roads both have give way markings (no other signs).

If two cars are waiting at the give way signs, one wanting to go straight on from 12 to 6 and one wanting to go right from 9 to 6, who has "right of way" ?

junction.jpg

Is that Carew Road. It is a right bugger that junction at times. The amount of people that Just keep driving from 12 to 6 when cars are coming from 6 to go round the bend to 3.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Is that Carew Road. It is a right bugger that junction at times. The amount of people that Just keep driving from 12 to 6 when cars are coming from 6 to go round the bend to 3.

I used to work in an office with highway guys who would spend all day designing road junctions on their computer screens. Who on earth thought this was a good idea must have been having a bad day.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It's not obvious and I don't disagree outright with the folk holding the roundabout - give way to the right - mantra, but here's another thought.

In the example the main road [flow] has a 90 degree bend - and there are two junctions off to the left if you were travelling from 6-o-clock - lets call them j9 and j12 to keep it in order - if the example were a straight road [no 90-degree bend], with two junctions on the left very close together. If there were two vehicles both wanting to turn right [to head 12 to 6 direction, the vehicle leaving j12 would have right-of-way and j9 must yield.

As others have said - extreme caution and courtesy must be the order of the day as there is plenty of room for interpretation and debate ....

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's not obvious and I don't disagree outright with the folk holding the roundabout - give way to the right - mantra, but here's another thought.

In the example the main road [flow] has a 90 degree bend - and there are two junctions off to the left if you were travelling from 6-o-clock - lets call them j9 and j12 to keep it in order - if the example were a straight road [no 90-degree bend], with two junctions on the left very close together. If there were two vehicles both wanting to turn right [to head 12 to 6 direction, the vehicle leaving j12 would have right-of-way and j9 must yield.

As others have said - extreme caution and courtesy must be the order of the day as there is plenty of room for interpretation and debate ....

Yes - now you put it like that, I realised that the junction just down the road from me isn't dissimilar, but it's less of a right-angle, more like the two side roads j9 and j12 coming in at roughly the same place.

Capture.JPG

I often exit from 9 o'clock (or 10 o'clock in my specific case, but let's use the original terminology), and there is often a car exiting from 12 o'clock - and it's almost always the j12 car that goes first whichever way either car is turning, mainly because the road at j12 is a 'more important' road as such. But it's a bugger of a junction, because coming out from 9, to be able to see properly to the right, you have to edge over the white lines - which annoys drivers coming from 6 wanting to go to 12. And what I absolutely hate doing is turning right from 12 to 9 - because you can't pull out into the far lane to turn right again, and it simply feels wrong going on the wrong side of the road, even for such a short distance!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think it depends on the age and gender of the driver.

Hope this helps.

And make of car.

Remember folks... Audi and BMW drivers ALWAYS have right of way over the rest of us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here