Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cardiff City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dunk & Duffy the only real quality in their roles, with Andone looking the real deal.

Maty Ryan was a bundle of nerves throughout, and his height at times really was a problem.

Bong so awful in decision making for most of game; Rosenoir highlighted at H/T two critical mistakes by Bong in the equaliser.

Other than his drive on goal, Izquierdo was so poor for 95 minutes.

I was shocked at how bad Cardiff were, playing at home, devoid of ideas and confidence with a man advantage. Clearly the worst team in the PL. Then we hand them 3 points.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
We were just unlucky today. Bad day at the office. It happens. Very harsh red, lucky deflection for the equaliser and fortunate winner. Cardiff are very poor and will be relegated. Had we had 11 players we would have won comfortably.

But we didn't and lost to them, far too many bad days at the office and we weren't winning comfortably with 11 players either

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It doesn't help

The issues we have are also contributing, the problem is we lack the players we need to effectively counter against away teams, (Murray's lack of pace isn't a threat and he is only really effective when we are pushing around their penalty area which is why he is more in the game at home where there is more support around him - all home teams are more adventurous at home),

We also don't have the breaking players who can getup there quickly to put numbers in their penalty area when we do break quickly so it means the whole attack is easily countered and we lose possession and it comes back at us again

We lack the players to force teams back and make them defend for most of the game (that may come with time as the side evolves over several seasons) and often find we play teams that can break quickly, so we are forced to play in this more solid style as that is the one that suits our resources

What i have found a little disturbing so far this season is how badly we seem to be passing the ball around when we do look to attack, it's all very disjointed, poorly weighted passes and nothing like i know we could play - we are lacking any fluidity atm, and that's where our problem lies, (if you are unlikely to hurt the opposition when you do counter attack, they can push further up knowing tat the danger is less, the more effective you are at countering, the more they worry and adjust their tactics to this threat and tend not to push up as much - this also means that we have less space to pass the ball around because the players are closer together and we have more opposition players closer so we don't get the time on the ball, meaning we have to force things (which makes it less likely to work) or we hit it longer and then have the problem again with our disjointed countering (including a lack of support to those countering players which means they are less effective

The problem is not with the usual suspects who are make the scapegoats (like Bong)

I still believe we will be fine this season

With a £120m squad, we should be more than just fine.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That old **** of a ref protecting his mate now

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This squad is better than this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very much this. We have very decent, very exciting attacking players but we seem totally reluctant to play to their strengths.

My personal feeling is that the board and backroom staff have agreed that we stay up at all costs this season, and effectively written off any attacking, entertaining play. But you can't help but feel, given the lack of quality in the bottom half this year, we'd stay up taking a few more risks too.

Gonna be a long old season.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Poor result, mediocre performance. We've beaten better teams than us, and now we've lost to worse teams as well. Still believe there are three worse teams in the league. We'll fight another day.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In terms of positives, Andone looked sharp IMHO

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I went out for the second half, hoping that not looking would be a change in fortune. I looked when I thought it would be over to see what was happening. It was 1-1 with 90 minutes gone. I'm so sorry.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure I agree entirely. At 1-0 before the red card, and with Cardiff looking rattled we did what everyone on here knew that we'd do - start the attempt to defend the 1-0 for 84 more minutes.

Can get a bit frustrating.

Cardiff scored with their first shot on target and that was because of a deflection by Bong. I thought we’d hit them on the break again as the game wore on. Not complaing about the equaliser, as we have had a big dose of luck so far this season.

I was quite enjoying the game until the sending off, maybe my sights are set low these days :lolol:

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
We're not Man City - We will always have games where shit goes against us or we **** it up. That's football for 90% of teams in the universe. Enjoy the ride like we always have/haven't.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don’t agree with the red at all, but I can see why it was given

One VAR would over turn on replay

From the refs position it would look dangerous and a red

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
We can all come on here and moan. But we’ll all be there next game biting nails, wearing lucky pants, whatever you do, Not good today, but 10 v 11 nearly a point gained.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very much this. We have very decent, very exciting attacking players but we seem totally reluctant to play to their strengths.

My personal feeling is that the board and backroom staff have agreed that we stay up at all costs this season, and effectively written off any attacking, entertaining play. But you can't help but feel, given the lack of quality in the bottom half this year, we'd stay up taking a few more risks too.

Gonna be a long old season.

Some of those very exciting attacking players are letting CH down. Izquierdo had several opportunities today to rip them apart and pass .... fluffing his lines every single time apart from his strike. Way off form I'm afraid.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We've played ugly football all year. Believe it or not it's supposed to be entertaining for the fans, That's what fans deserve for handing over their hard earned.

But we're not in the Entertainment business any more. The club want to survive and they think our negative approach is the way to do it. Entertainment is only a bonus. We've got to get used to this attempt to try to grind points out with dull performances. I see nothing changing any time soon to be honest.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The most annoying thing about today is that this was a very winnable game, and that smug shite Warnock will be saying how Cardiff deserved the win and are now showing their true potential.....

Bollox they are shite, and everything about today was avoidable, we have the squad and players to have done so much better....

Yours

A very pished off bunny....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here