Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Do you still have a black and white TV?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I only pay the TV license because I don't like the idea that I am breaking the law. With a bit of knowledge it's entirely possible not to pay and never end up in court.

Evasion rate is estimated at about 6-7% below other countries that have a licence scheme.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Over 75, it is free, and under that age, registered blind get 50% reduction.

I was talking of before she was 75 when she was told she had to pay the full rate because other people could watch her TV so she just paid up. I think that rules have been relaxed since then as I am over 75 and get a free licence at the moment although I read that the BBC want to scrap that scheme..

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
“ Griffiths is snookered on the brown, which, for those of you watching in black and white, is the ball directly behind the pink.”

— Ted Lowe

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I worked in a house last week and the homeowners were watching an old film in the afternoon on a very modern looking black and white TV. Very good picture too.... :D

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I had a black & white tv until a few years ago and had a visit once from the licence detectors to check I wasn't watching a colour tv.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I've got a Sony black and white portable from the 1970s which accompanied me in many dodgy flats and bedsits in my youth. It doesn't work with a digital signal but I couldn't bring myself to throw it out, so it is up in the roof.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I was talking of before she was 75 when she was told she had to pay the full rate because other people could watch her TV so she just paid up. I think that rules have been relaxed since then as I am over 75 and get a free licence at the moment although I read that the BBC want to scrap that scheme..

There have been free tv licences for over 75s now for 17 years.

Unfortunately you were wrong about having to pay the full rate. The 50% blind reduction is regardless of whether you have able sighted people in your household as long as the licence is in your name.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've an old colour TV. It was bought in 1996 from I think it was Granada who had a warehouse in Brighton selling old ex rental TV's. Originally my bedroom TV I know that it was working when the death of Lady Di was announced, so it may be 25 years old. It's on 24 hours a day as a monitor now for my CCTV. It has out lasted 4 flat screen TV's so far.
I had a TV in my shop that was a portable B/W and thus purchased a B/W license.
I also have one of those 6" B/W portables from Woolworths with AM/FM radio that I still use. Obviously the TV bit is no good now as it has no AV inputs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here