Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Two day break in Rye...any tips?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With aimless wandering? Yes, agree, it is a good thing but just want a few pointers so I don’t get back and go “doh! Wish I’d seen that”. Don’t get much time off work or get away often so wanna make the most of it.

Edit: just read your edit, haha! There will be pubs. Of course!

:thumbsup:

There will be pubs - is that the follow-up to There Will Be Blood ? :lolol:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The Gallivant is also quite good for food in spite of the fact that it backs onto Pontins!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
and here's a map of the nature reserve...gives you some idea...

small-map.jpg

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
FWIW on my visits to Rye, the Standard Inn is my favourite pub and does decent food too

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Haha! What’s the local brewery, strikes me as a place for good ale?

No idea chap, you're asking the wrong bloke. I generally only drink Coors and Kronie, I don't have a big enough beard for anything else.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
We stayed in Jeake's House in Mermaid Street a few years ago.
Spent a morning taking photos of all the antique front doors in the town.:rolleyes:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Bend down in the pubs.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
It's lovely there.
Recommend taking in the Nature reserve during daytime.
We ate at Hoof and drunk at a cider house just down from the 'castle entrance'. Eclectic mix of clientele and all the furniture inside available to purchase.
The little cinema in the town centre is worth a look too. Cosy screenings and a 'chic' bar to boot.
Nicest place I've visited in the last few years. Enjoy!

the cinema only opened a few years ago, I know as I had to backfill a substation within an old air raid shelter at the back of the building before it could be converted from the art college building it was before, about 30 tons of muck taken out by machine had to be shovelled and wheel barrowed back to where it had came from this was after we had to wheelbarrow the sand from the my transit tipper on the college entrance driveway through the high st round to the excavation site, worst job the board had given me and wont go back to Rye again in a hurry??:shootself

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Good day. I’m taking a two day, midweek break in Rye next week. I’m going solo on this trip. I’ve had a look online obviously and there’s a few things I’m going to do for sure but does anyone have any recommendations for hidden gems? Breakfast is covered where I’m staying (bang in the centre) but I’m looking for a good cream tea place and some restaurant recommendations please. Plus things to see , museums, houses etc.

On my second day I plan on doing a good walk in the surrounding countryside , between 6 and 10 miles that may take in a few sights if anyone can advise?

Seen lots on line but I’ve never been before so any personal gems would be most welcome.

Cheers all!

TC

*Weather supposed to be dry and fair but not interested in Camber Sands.

I can make the following recommendations:

1. Cream tea's - Fletcher's tea rooms at the top of Lion Street.
2. Evening meal - The Union (should appeal to you) Steak House on East Street.
3. Pubs - The Globe Inn Marsh on Military Road.
4. Places to Visit - The Rye Castle Museum on East Street will kill 1 hour.
5. Breakfast - If the breakfast in your hotel is not up to much, you might want to try Hayden's on the High Street.

Hope you have a great trip.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
As your on your own why not pop in and see naughty Maureen near the harbour - I ve heard she has a lovely fishy supper ....

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
The Mermaid Inn is nice for a drink, very olde style, and allegedly haunted - well, 'Most Haunted' went there. We stayed in one of the rooms they were in, and we had a strange goings on with a kettle that wasn't turned on. Johnny Depp has been there too. One of the Cheeky Girls lives in Rye, we saw her on the shopping street. Don't let that put you off though.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can make the following recommendations:

1. Cream tea's - Fletcher's tea rooms at the top of Lion Street.
2. Evening meal - The Union (should appeal to you) Steak House on East Street.
3. Pubs - The Globe Inn Marsh on Military Road.
4. Places to Visit - The Rye Castle Museum on East Street will kill 1 hour.
5. Breakfast - If the breakfast in your hotel is not up to much, you might want to try Hayden's on the High Street.

Hope you have a great trip.

Cheers!

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Stayed a few weeks back. The staff at the Mermaid have a list of guest ghost experiences worth reading by the log fire. People say you can park in the street without a worry, despite apparent restrictions as there is no parking warden. If you don't want to risk it you can park down by the station for £2/day. The cafe in the White House is good and as others have said so is the cinema. Just nosing round the town and all the old buildings is good fun. There seemed to be quite a bit of competition for some of the restaurants so book ahead if you've got your eye on something!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Had a two night break in May, stayed in the George - dinner was really excellent; and at the Union Steakhouse - good food couldn’t eat it all so don’t need a starter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here