Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Two day break in Rye...any tips?

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good day. I’m taking a two day, midweek break in Rye next week. I’m going solo on this trip. I’ve had a look online obviously and there’s a few things I’m going to do for sure but does anyone have any recommendations for hidden gems? Breakfast is covered where I’m staying (bang in the centre) but I’m looking for a good cream tea place and some restaurant recommendations please. Plus things to see , museums, houses etc.

On my second day I plan on doing a good walk in the surrounding countryside , between 6 and 10 miles that may take in a few sights if anyone can advise?

Seen lots on line but I’ve never been before so any personal gems would be most welcome.

Cheers all!

TC

*Weather supposed to be dry and fair but not interested in Camber Sands.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come back to Sussex.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"Webbe's at the Fish Cafe" for an evening meal or lunch. That's assuming you're not Vegan, obvs!

Thank you. Not a vegan and in fact I was hoping for a good fish suggestion. I shall google them, cheers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mrs Gwylan and I went there last year. We ate at the Landgate Bistro, which was very nice

Can't recommend any pubs though, we went to two and neither was much cop.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Make sure you climb the tower at St. Mary's Church - the view is well worth it. If you can make it just out to Rye Harbour, the lifeboat station and memorial to The Mary Stanford is worth it too. (An utter tragedy in 1928 that took the lives of nearly all the adult men of the village in Rye Harbour, if you haven't heard of it.)

Your main walk wise, Google the route, and I would say walk west (staying in Sussex) via Winchelsea and Fairlight to Hastings Country Park, down to Hastings Old Town and get the train back - it's a very good walk

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It's lovely there.
Recommend taking in the Nature reserve during daytime.
We ate at Hoof and drunk at a cider house just down from the 'castle entrance'. Eclectic mix of clientele and all the furniture inside available to purchase.
The little cinema in the town centre is worth a look too. Cosy screenings and a 'chic' bar to boot.
Nicest place I've visited in the last few years. Enjoy!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know you said you aren't interested in Camber Sands but there is a cracking cafe on the beach and the beach is a splendid walk.

EDIT - and if you like Rye then try Whistable, and even better seaside place.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I know you said you aren't interested in Camber Sands but there is a cracking cafe on the beach and the beach is a splendid walk.

I’m just thinking of timing and weather. But I’ll certainly consider maybe for a bite on the day I head back.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Make sure you climb the tower at St. Mary's Church - the view is well worth it. If you can make it just out to Rye Harbour, the lifeboat station and memorial to The Mary Stanford is worth it too. (An utter tragedy in 1928 that took the lives of nearly all the adult men of the village in Rye Harbour, if you haven't heard of it.)

Your main walk wise, Google the route, and I would say walk west (staying in Sussex) via Winchelsea and Fairlight to Hastings Country Park, down to Hastings Old Town and get the train back - it's a very good walk

I’ve not heard of the Mary Stanford but that is def going on the list.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
For food - The Landgate Bistro is excellent and for a nice bracing walk, the nature reserve at Rye Harbour.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For food - The Landgate Bistro is excellent and for a nice bracing walk, the nature reserve at Rye Harbour.

Will def be visiting the harbour and was hoping to get a bite to eat there too so I will check that out. Thanks!

I think doing a solo trip it’s important to get a little itinerary together or one can end up wandering about aimlessly and the time disappears.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Will def be visiting the harbour and was hoping to get a bite to eat there too so I will check that out. Thanks!

I think doing a solo trip it’s important to get a little itinerary together or one can end up wandering about aimlessly and end up down the pub all afternoon.

Struggling to see the problem here tbh.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Two days in Rye? TripAdvisor is your friend. Tho you might be hard pushed for things to do on the second day :moo:

Ha! Well the suggestions so far would fill up a fair bit of two days. Obvs tripadvisor is a good resource but as NSC has shown in the past, personal recommendation goes a long way. Plus you can come back on here after and lambast people for the terrible suggestions they made!!

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Struggling to see the problem here tbh.

With aimless wandering? Yes, agree, it is a good thing but just want a few pointers so I don’t get back and go “doh! Wish I’d seen that”. Don’t get much time off work or get away often so wanna make the most of it.

Edit: just read your edit, haha! There will be pubs. Of course!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here