Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] State of play in the Premier League - to date

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Current bottom five clubs v current top 5 - P19 W0 D0 L19 F12 A60

Amid all the gloom enveloping those at the wrong end of the Premier League table, where Fulham, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Newcastle and Southampton have conceded 108 goals between them, suffered 36 defeats and registered only one victory each, there is a ray of hope. On the basis of the results so far, only 22 points will be needed to stay up this season.

Although 11 fixtures is not much of a sample size from which to calculate a points-per-game ratio, the numbers do not lie and there is no getting away from just how poor the standard is in the lower reaches of the Premier League this season. The fact that this is the first time in 27 Premier League seasons that five clubs have seven or fewer points from their opening 11 matches says it all.

Newcastle, who won last Saturday for the first time this season, are somehow out of the relegation zone despite picking up only six points from 11 games. The survival bar could hardly be set any lower and it all feels so predictable. Cast the net a little further to include Burnley, who are lying in 15th place, and a strong case could be made to say that the bottom six now will be the bottom six come May, with only their order to be decided.

more: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/09/premier-league-top-five-bottom-five-great-divide

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The article seems to pose a question rather than answer one. Why are the bottom clubs so bad? With record TV money coming in the league should be more competitive than it’s turning out to be.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The article seems to pose a question rather than answer one. Why are the bottom clubs so bad? With record TV money coming in the league should be more competitive than it’s turning out to be.
Who cares as long as we're not one of the shithouse teams involved? [emoji23]

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's a shit article though. You can't say anything about a division based on one season (or actually one almost third of a season) as this piece is doing.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
How strange. I read that article waiting for the car to be serviced in the fancy 'customer area' whilst drinking a coffee and checking out the 'dappy-dolly' receptionists. :lolol:

I never read the Guardian, and after a good old thumb through - I never will.

However, I suppose it highlights the gulf between the Championship and the PL more than ever. Are finances 'polarising' : where you're a "super club" or you're not. If you're a super club you'll be fine because you can buy your way to the top, or at least out of trouble. If you're not it depends on the manager, player solidarity and team spirit, plus a bit of luck with signings and youth development. If the latter all go wrong, you're screwed.

I think that 5-6 clubs have fallen into this category, and they're the whipping boys this season.

If you look at the foreign leagues, they've always got a whipping boy or three. We've just got a few more this season. Thank fook we're not one of them....

I've always said - "I don't care where we finish, as long as three teams are below us...".... That'll do me for now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank fook we're not one of them....

I've always said - "I don't care where we finish, as long as three teams are below us...".... That'll do me for now.
If find this sentiment odd.

I was against [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] doing another '40 point survival' thread, this season.
Much preferring something like a 50 point total, I'm also not in favour of the Wolves 'run before you can walk' policy.
I find the public uttering from the club along the lines of '4th from bottom' somewhat disingenuous.

They certainly lead to today's situation of fans being happy with a point at Cardiff, but more annoyingly it all smacks of if you're not going forward...

What's the point of playing for next season if next season never comes

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

....but more annoyingly it all smacks of if you're not going forward...

We are going forward! However, in the World's richest Football League you've got to either have a Billionaire financing you - or you build foundations on staying in the PL and stacking the money up whilst you can hang on in there as there are plenty of clubs who desperately want to replace you.

You build on a budget, you stay up on a budget, you keep taking the money - then when your treasure chest is brimming you can make the big money signings. That's when you (potentially) see progress - and we start beating bigger teams and taking being in the PL for granted. We will never be a Man City, a Liverpool or a Man Utd. It's a fact which pisses me off, but it's still a fact.

For now, the Treasure Chest isn't full. So, until then - we survive. It's a long game which you have to play unless you have a nut-job owner who wants to tip his wheelbarrow of cash into the club and look for the 'quick fix' which could blow up in his/her face.

We don't have that kind of owner. He's stable, sensible and measured. We have a manager who is the same. I, personally, am happy with that...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are going forward! However, in the World's richest Football League you've got to either have a Billionaire financing you - or you build foundations on staying in the PL and stacking the money up whilst you can hang on in there as there are plenty of clubs who desperately want to replace you.

You build on a budget, you stay up on a budget, you keep taking the money - then when you're treasure chest is brimming you can make the big money signings. That's when you (potentially) see progress - and we start beating bigger teams and taking being in the PL for granted.

For now, the Treasure Chest isn't full. So, until then - we survive. It's a long game which you have to play unless you have a nut-job owner who wants to tip his wheelbarrow of cash into the club and look for the quick fix.

We don't have that kind of owner. He's stable, sensible and measured. We have a manager who is the same. I, personally, am happy with that...

All of which I agree with, to a point.
But im still left asking the same question:-

When will the warchest be full?

It'll never be top 6 full.
It'll never be Everton/Leicester full.
It'll never be as full as the next billionaire/conglomerate/country to arrive on the seen.

Having an eye on 4th from bottom for the second season running is still very defeatist.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

It'll never be as full as the next billionaire/conglomerate/country to arrive on the seen.

Having an eye on 4th from bottom for the second season running is still very defeatist.

Sorry, but this is complete bollocks.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Personally think the current bottom 3, Huddersfield, Cardiff & Fulham, will be the 3 that go down this season.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

First quote : True

Second Quote : It can be, in my opinion.

As I've said in previous threads - we can either tear up the Championship and rip teams a new @rsehole every week, or we can survive in the Premier League.

I'm not sure which I prefer - but from a 'loyalty to the club' perspective it has to be the riches of the PL.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First quote : True

Second Quote : It can be, in my opinion.

As I've said in previous threads - we can either tear up the Championship and rip teams a new @rsehole every week, or we can survive in the Premier League.

I'm not sure which I prefer - but from a 'loyalty to the club' perspective it has to be the riches of the PL.

Obviously we wouldn't be having this conversation if we were heading up to Manchester this weekend, as clearly Bozza's clickbait thread has got right on my tits.

Survival is one thing but anticipating a 'backs to the wall', defensive, non shooting lacklustre performance away to Cardiff isn't surviving, it's death by 1000 blocked shots.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Obviously we wouldn't be having this conversation if we were heading up to Manchester this weekend, as clearly Bozza's clickbait thread has got right on my tits.

Survival is one thing but anticipating a 'backs to the wall', defensive, non shooting lacklustre performance away to Cardiff isn't surviving, it's death by 1000 blocked shots.

It's Friday night. Have a ****ing drink mate and chill out. :kiss:

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
51007658.jpg

:drink:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

personaly, i think, after preservaion, our next target should be finishing above bmuff

and that's next season,

one day the south coast will be OURS

:D

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Current bottom five clubs v current top 5 - P19 W0 D0 L19 F12 A60

Amid all the gloom enveloping those at the wrong end of the Premier League table, where Fulham, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Newcastle and Southampton have conceded 108 goals between them, suffered 36 defeats and registered only one victory each, there is a ray of hope. On the basis of the results so far, only 22 points will be needed to stay up this season.

Although 11 fixtures is not much of a sample size from which to calculate a points-per-game ratio, the numbers do not lie and there is no getting away from just how poor the standard is in the lower reaches of the Premier League this season. The fact that this is the first time in 27 Premier League seasons that five clubs have seven or fewer points from their opening 11 matches says it all.

Newcastle, who won last Saturday for the first time this season, are somehow out of the relegation zone despite picking up only six points from 11 games. The survival bar could hardly be set any lower and it all feels so predictable. Cast the net a little further to include Burnley, who are lying in 15th place, and a strong case could be made to say that the bottom six now will be the bottom six come May, with only their order to be decided.

more: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/09/premier-league-top-five-bottom-five-great-divide

Weren't Palace in a dire position this time last year, yet they survived. After this article you can guarantee Cardiff will win tomorrow now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I was against [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] doing another '40 point survival' thread, this season.
Much preferring something like a 50 point total, I'm also not in favour of the Wolves 'run before you can walk' policy.
I find the public uttering from the club along the lines of '4th from bottom' somewhat disingenuous.

They certainly lead to today's situation of fans being happy with a point at Cardiff, but more annoyingly it all smacks of if you're not going forward...

What's the point of playing for next season if next season never comes

In Premier League terms we are still crawling and are yet to walk let alone run. I will be very happy with a point against one of the other teams in the Premier League creche today. :smile:

To continue the analogy I am not a pushy parent, I think you might be :lolol:

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

You build on a budget, you stay up on a budget, you keep taking the money - then when your treasure chest is brimming you can make the big money signings. That's when you (potentially) see progress - and we start beating bigger teams and taking being in the PL for granted. We will never be a Man City, a Liverpool or a Man Utd. It's a fact which pisses me off, but it's still a fact.

For now, the Treasure Chest isn't full. So, until then - we survive. It's a long game which you have to play unless you have a nut-job owner who wants to tip his wheelbarrow of cash into the club and look for the 'quick fix' which could blow up in his/her face.

I couldn't agree more. The slowly slowly approach is the only way I see it of establishing ourselves in the Prem for the long term. People might complain about us playing boring and unadventurous football but this is the CH way and the way to slowly establish ourselves.

We have to accept we are no longer in the 'Entertainment Business' but are in the business of keeping the club in the top league for many years to come and that takes the pragmatic approach at our level and with our budget/fan base etc, even if it does mean the product on the pitch is less exciting than we want.

I am happy to accept our dull football in the short to medium term if it keeps us in the top divison. Hopefully in years to come we can develop further and be more competitive/exciting but the foundations have only just been built and I'm not expecting goal fests at the moment. Put it this way I'd rather play our 'defend deep and hit them on the break' type of football than Fulham's all out attacking efforts (look where it's got them). It's finding the balance at the moment, which I think we just about have.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here