Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Half Hawaiian Half Greek Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You probably can if you throw stupid amounts of money around. Chelsea seem to be doing OK with theirs - but don't they do it by signing up just about every youngster going?
    Other than fringe player Loftus-Cheek which of their first team squad came from their academy? I believe they have an atrocious record, possibly the worst in the league!
    PURA VIDA MAE

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Absolutely Sheeboed Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ View Post
      Other than fringe player Loftus-Cheek which of their first team squad came from their academy? I believe they have an atrocious record, possibly the worst in the league!
      Think the entire concept of an academy may now be obsolete. The top divisions just buy players in from any old where, even The Netherlands, and the lower divisions can't shoulder the long term cost of running an academy. The academy model might have worked in the olden days, but the game's moved on, and now runs on an instant results basis.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      The question wasn't about first team squad, it was about the academy producing players.

Off the top of my head, Chalobah, Mount, Tomori, Zouma, Ake are all playing regular PL or Championship football and have all come through the academy. I'm sure there are many more
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Think the entire concept of an academy may now be obsolete. The top divisions just buy players in from any old where, even The Netherlands, and the lower divisions can't shoulder the long term cost of running an academy. The academy model might have worked in the olden days, but the game's moved on, and now runs on an instant results basis.
      Academies now make money for the big clubs rather than supply players? Funding, to a degree, player purchases from other clubs. Occasionaly a gem may make the first team from the academy.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Depends how you look at it. It's probably worth considering Chelsea's academy as a side business unrelated to the first team. It may have not been the original intention, but that's pretty much what it is now. Recent sales: Nathan Ake £20m, Ryan Bertrand £10m, Thorgan Hazard £5.6m, Patrick Bamford £5.5m, plus numerous other smaller sales. And don't forget the loan fees they get for the 30 or 40 players they have loaned out every season. That probably covers most of their academy wages. I'd imagine only the Man City academy rivals Chelsea's in terms of expenditure, but even so I doubt it's run at much of a loss, maybe it even turns a small profit.

Depressing that they never seem to have a manager who can see what they have right under their noses though. Probably the best place for a young footballer to be up until 18 or 19, but after that they should leave at the first opportunity.
      Don't make me run. I am full of chocolate.
      Half Hawaiian Half Greek Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      The question wasn't about first team squad, it was about the academy producing players.

Off the top of my head, Chalobah, Mount, Tomori, Zouma, Ake are all playing regular PL or Championship football and have all come through the academy. I'm sure there are many more
      We've had Cook, Dunk, March, Elphick, Hall off the top of my head, but I get your point. Dull state of affairs for Chelsea fans, it can't be nice fielding a team that has absolutely zero home grown players in it.
      PURA VIDA MAE
      Absolutely Sheeboed Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      Academies now make money for the big clubs rather than supply players? Funding, to a degree, player purchases from other clubs. Occasionaly a gem may make the first team from the academy.
      I understand the individual words of your post, if not the sense of them. How does this apparent funding work? And how does it provide a pay-off to the nurturing club?
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
      I'll look after the skirt Pinkie Brown's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
      About a week, I presume. International break after their home game with Watford on Saturday, which is the classic time for sacking managers.
      Hughes will be fine. The new striker they have lined up is the business. He comes on the personal recommendation of George Weah, so he must be good.....
      "Zaha does not dive," said Hodgson.
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie Brown View Post
      Hughes will be fine. The new striker they have lined up is the business. He comes on the personal recommendation of George Weah, so he must be good.....
      Now that was funny. Wasn't it Souness in charge? Brought him on for about ten minutes, realised he couldn't actually play football at all and subbed him off.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      Saintsweb forum poll, 97% in favour of this sacking, with the other 3% 'undecided'.

Discussion turns to possible replacements, with at least one poster bemoaning 'should have gone for Dan Ashworth'.
      Let’s hope he doesn’t do a Sammy Lee. Rat faced weasel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk