Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chandlers Ford
    Posts
    52,300


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barham's tash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let’s hope he doesn’t do a Sammy Lee. Rat faced weasel.
    That did cross my mind!
    The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22
      Members AZ Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Phoenix, Az
      Posts
      6,332


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Unfortunately for him, the academy hasn't produced anyone any good for a while, ...
      I'm not sure about that - I think Ben White has every chance of becoming a Premier League player
    • #23
      Members
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Location
      Sarisbury Green, Southampton
      Posts
      3,566


      2 Not allowed!
      About time. I've predicted this for a long time, their reputation has been vastly over rated for years. They actually stopped bringing through kids of any real quality a long time ago and their signings have been poor for a few seasons. I got shot down on here before last season when I predicted they would go down and they were mightily close. I still think there's a very strong chance they will go down this season, there are real problems with the running and direction of the club.

      Mark Hughes was a great appointment for people like me who can't stand them as he was always going to be a disaster. Puel was the right man for the job, he did brilliantly with what he had available but the idiots who run the club listened too much to the clueless fans who didn't think the football was a of a high enough standard despite the limited ability they actually had on the pitch.

      I'm loving every minute of it.
    • #24
      Members AZ Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Phoenix, Az
      Posts
      6,332


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uter View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Depends how you look at it. It's probably worth considering Chelsea's academy as a side business unrelated to the first team. It may have not been the original intention, but that's pretty much what it is now. Recent sales: Nathan Ake £20m, Ryan Bertrand £10m, Thorgan Hazard £5.6m, Patrick Bamford £5.5m, plus numerous other smaller sales. And don't forget the loan fees they get for the 30 or 40 players they have loaned out every season. That probably covers most of their academy wages. I'd imagine only the Man City academy rivals Chelsea's in terms of expenditure, but even so I doubt it's run at much of a loss, maybe it even turns a small profit.

      Depressing that they never seem to have a manager who can see what they have right under their noses though. Probably the best place for a young footballer to be up until 18 or 19, but after that they should leave at the first opportunity.
      Based upon the evidence available to us under Hughton's tenure so far, any young lad hoping to play for Albion's first team in the league should.......join the Chelsea academy!
    • #25
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      The land of chocolate
      Posts
      979


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AZ Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Based upon the evidence available to us under Hughton's tenure so far, any young lad hoping to play for Albion's first team in the league should.......join the Chelsea academy!
      I do wonder how much of managers overlooking academy prospects in favour of big money signings is down to psychological biases rather than objective analysis. I'm sure there must be an element of favouring a signing you made as a way of confirming your own good judgement. Some managers habitually set up academy players to fail, although I suspect they are unaware they are doing it. If opportunities are notoriously far and few between, rather than going out and seizing an opportunity, an academy player is going to be nervous or will be disinclined to take risks when their "chance" comes. Callum Husdon-Odoi got a few minutes a week or two ago and looked very unsure of himself and had little impact. Where are his next minutes going to come from?

      If Loftus-Cheek had come through Everton's academy and Ross Barkley through Chelsea's, RLC would be the one Chelsea signed and played, whilst Barkley would be getting the odd minute here or there, or would be out on his 4 or 5th loan. The grass is always greener.
      Don't make me run. I am full of chocolate.
    • #26
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      Cowfold
      Posts
      9,752


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We've had Cook, Dunk, March, Elphick, Hall off the top of my head, but I get your point. Dull state of affairs for Chelsea fans, it can't be nice fielding a team that has absolutely zero home grown players in it.
      As long as the team are doing well and winning trophies, l don't think the vast majority of fans could care less where the players come from.
    • #27
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      46,275


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I understand the individual words of your post, if not the sense of them. How does this apparent funding work? And how does it provide a pay-off to the nurturing club?
      Big clubs like Chelsea and City bring through players in their academies. The cream of the crop are then loaned out to other clubs, a few of the players then make a name for themselves at lesser clubs (normally in the Championship but some in lower level Premier Clubs) and are then sold for millions, without getting a chance at City or Chelsea. Hence their academy has made a decent profit. I guess this more than covers the flops and gives them a few million to add to the massive coffers bolstering the crazy money they splash on foreign imports.

      I imagine that we are doing the same whilst hoping a few make it the the first team here. Depending on where we are in the pecking order, the higher we get the more limited the chances of a youngster making the step up with us. We then sell them and fund the academy and make a profit on it.

      I think academies are more a business than a player feeder to the clubs these days.

      Hope it’s clear now, all make perfect sense to me
      Last edited by Icy Gull; 08-11-2018 at 18:46.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
    • #28
      Members Super Steve Earle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Work in Brighton
      Posts
      3,324


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AZ Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Based upon the evidence available to us under Hughton's tenure so far, any young lad hoping to play for Albion's first team in the league should.......join the Chelsea academy!
      Since we don't have any players on loan from the Chelsea academy or anywhere else in the world, I doubt whether joining the Chelsea Academy would help a youngster play for Albion at all.
      I hope you meet someone your height, so you can see eye to eye with someone as small as you!
    • #29
      Stupid IDIOT Ernest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2003
      Location
      LOONEY BIN
      Posts
      39,221


      0 Not allowed!
      I don't know why supposed grown ups still use infantile names like Stains
    • #30
      Members Not Andy Naylor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Seven Dials
      Posts
      5,895


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Now that was funny. Wasn't it Souness in charge? Brought him on for about ten minutes, realised he couldn't actually play football at all and subbed him off.
      I was at that game. He wasn’t that much worse than many of his teammates...
      England are still the only team to have won the World Cup wearing red shirts.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •