Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dying Professions you should avoid

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Im no fan of digital watches by any stretch. My boss gave me one and the fecking thing drove me nuts. Ive got a nice Junkers titanium, but... having said that, I rarely wear it anymore.

Lots of people just use their mobile phones now for telling the time so the need for watches in general is probably on the wane.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Police officer seems to be a dying profession as there are fewer and fewer year on year. Conversely career criminals appear to be on the rise. Funny that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lots of people just use their mobile phones now for telling the time so the need for watches in general is probably on the wane.

I love my watch. I find that it helps me know the time, with just a quick glance towards my wrist. Amazing! Not only that, I can check the time so fast I have time to see the **** walking about gormlessly, button-pressing their Omsung phone thing, and barge into them painfully (for them) - and blame them for not looking where they are going.

Gosh, I love my watch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I met my first year tutees (uni students - I am their sort of mentor) today. All of them stream music. None of them 'own' any music. They thought that iPods, music ownerships and (especially) buying CDs are all quite funny and weird. I mentioned I had over 16000 items, some extremely rare and not available any more, on my iPod. I mentioned that I have a massive knowledge of music over the last 40 years and can find and curate amazing music, and that its story and context are part of its magic. They were quite patronizing, a bit like how sometimes people reply to BG about how good it must have been in the olden days.

I'll get my coat, then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This Arsenal game, on BT, is really shit. In case you hadn't guessed.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I met my first year tutees (uni students - I am their sort of mentor) today. All of them stream music. None of them 'own' any music. They thought that iPods, music ownerships and (especially) buying CDs are all quite funny and weird. I mentioned I had over 16000 items, some extremely rare and not available any more, on my iPod. I mentioned that I have a massive knowledge of music over the last 40 years and can find and curate amazing music, and that its story and context are part of its magic. They were quite patronizing, a bit like how sometimes people reply to BG about how good it must have been in the olden days.

I'll get my coat, then.

I've always thought that the music on your iPod, could be best described as an historical journey of one's life, in music.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've always thought that the music on your iPod, could be best described as an historical journey of one's life, in music.

Quite. I have a lot of stuff downloaded from strange places. I name it and search and upload pictures to illustrate it, that appear on the iPod when they play. I know what I have. How can anyone actually engage with music if they just stream it? My students are science students and when I ask them they know nothing about film, TV or music. Pig ignorant. Their engagement with culture is millimetres deep. I have noticed that arts students can be quite different. Mrs T, an arts grad, has an extensive knowledge of music back to before she was born, and is an iPodder too. :love:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Quite. I have a lot of stuff downloaded from strange places. I name it and search and upload pictures to illustrate it, that appear on the iPod when they play. I know what I have. How can anyone actually engage with music if they just stream it? My students are science students and when I ask them they know nothing about film, TV or music. Pig ignorant. Their engagement with culture is millimetres deep. I have noticed that arts students can be quite different. Mrs T, an arts grad, has an extensive knowledge of music back to before she was born, and is an iPodder too. :love:

We're iPod classic journeyman, now iPod touching :lolol:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003

I'll get my coat, then.

I’m with you on this. Music apart, this also applies to books. I have a huge collection of reference books, cookery books and novels in crates in my garage, just don’t have sufficient room in the house for them all. Ebooks are convenient to take on holiday, but one day, like it or not cloud storage will cease to exist and peoples music and book collections will vanish.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m with you on this. Music apart, this also applies to books. I have a huge collection of reference books, cookery books and novels in crates in my garage, just don’t have sufficient room in the house for them all. Ebooks are convenient to take on holiday, but one day, like it or not cloud storage will cease to exist and peoples music and book collections will vanish.

Paper books for me, too. :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
When I changed roles in 1991 I was told that the technology I was working on would be gone by the middle of the 1990s. I am still working on it and teaching new people all about it.

Sometimes customers dont want to change. It is technically possible for an airliner to fly itself from Heathrow to Washington with no human intervention but would anyone go on it ?

Not after yesterday, when a Flybe plane started nosediving when the pilot switched over to autopilot.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...-500ft-due-to-autopilot-setting-37504384.html

Also there are warnings about the autopilot on the 737 after this.
https://www.wired.com/story/boeing-safety-warning-737-max-nosedive/

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I'll get my coat, then.

and they never know what they're listening too either! :angry:

Me - I like this, what is it?
Them - dunno, spotify, innit

:rant:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do not have one of those e-book things, paper all the way !

Likewise, always paperbacks for me. I'm a prolific reader on holiday. I think nothing of leaving my book on my sun lounger if I waltz off for a dip or a stroll into town - can't do that with a Kindle can you.

I also wouldn't trust myself to sit in the pool / jacuzzi holding an expensive electronic device.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here