Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dying Professions you should avoid

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There are more lawyers in the UK now than at any other time - with Brexit looming there will be even more I suspect.

Financial Planners are on the list too - Well I have been an Independent Financial Adviser for more than 25 years & we are busier than ever !
A friend I work closely with is an independent mortgage advisor and he's busier than ever as well. These things are usually bollocks because they base it on simple tasks that can be automated and extrapolate that to every case.

I read a few years ago that accountants will not be needed due to software etc. It's utter rubbish as 90% of my job is dealing with people and their personal situations. It's nothing that software could do.

The same with my mate. Sure people can use websites to find the best deal for their mortgage. But if they are self employed, have various income streams and own assets etc then they need a professional advisor who will take all the stress out of it and find the best lender for their particular set of circumstances.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When I changed roles in 1991 I was told that the technology I was working on would be gone by the middle of the 1990s. I am still working on it and teaching new people all about it.

Sometimes customers dont want to change. It is technically possible for an airliner to fly itself from Heathrow to Washington with no human intervention but would anyone go on it ?

No it's not a human needs to start the engines, program the route and finally release the parking brake

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Helicopter pilots.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
It’s not the immediate jobs that you all end up thinking of - take driverlesss vehicles - obviously anyone with driving job loses their job. Knock on effect is more widespread - we won’t cars then but instead Uber st al will do. They won’t use normal garages, type shops, car dealerships. They’ll buy in bulk from one supplier, use factory based servicing etc. Car parks won’t be neeeded - loss of revenue for NCP and councils less construction work (build and maintenance). Driverless cars will reduce accidents thus less work in medicine, post injury physio etc. Less police - traffic incidents disappear. It’s not if but when it happens

Same happens when you look at other changes and the knock on effect (block chain, 3D printing). Banks are really concerned on block chain and the knock on effect of its business model (could be a Kodak moment)

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Time (see what I did there) must be running out for traditional watchmakers and repairers. Sure there will probably always be the luxury mechanical watches, but, im guessing there will soon be plenty of luxury digital watches

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Same happens when you look at other changes and the knock on effect (block chain, 3D printing). Banks are really concerned on block chain and the knock on effect of its business model (could be a Kodak moment)

blockchain presents the same threat to banks as the browser did to Microsoft.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Economists,Lib Dem MP's,BBC employees.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Time (see what I did there) must be running out for traditional watchmakers and repairers. Sure there will probably always be the luxury mechanical watches, but, im guessing there will soon be plenty of luxury digital watches

Mmmmm....I think proper watches are a bit like proper naked ladies. You can get a digital one if you want, but.....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Other jobs to go, bus drivers, train drivers, cabbies, delivery drivers......

When Driverless Vehicles genuinely arrive in numbers there will be slaughter amongst driving professions.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Generally by the way Architects are valued within the industry. In no way disparaging to architects themselves, we are still ****ing brilliant to be fair. :thumbsup:

I think the real skill is with the people who have to translate the lovely drawings into reality and somehow build these cutting edge monstrosities.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Mmmmm....I think proper watches are a bit like proper naked ladies. You can get a digital one if you want, but.....

Im no fan of digital watches by any stretch. My boss gave me one and the fecking thing drove me nuts. Ive got a nice Junkers titanium, but... having said that, I rarely wear it anymore.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here