Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77
  1. #31
    Members Herr Tubthumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Fatherland
    Posts
    43,800


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to say Architects!

    Who the hell wants to do 6 or 7 years studying for essentially a role that has devolved into a trade. You have to be passionate about it now, consider the debt you'd come out of training with, and the fact that you'll be behind the earnings of most building trades let along other professionals for many years thereafter until you perhaps reach more senior roles, which not everyone does. And you have to take all the shit and liability that comes with it.

    Architects doing it for the love and passion and desire to win the best jobs has cost the profession dearly in terms of revenue over the years. You only have to compare average salaries across Engineers, Surveyors and Architects to see the disparity.
    When you says itís a trade, what do you mean? Iíve been working with an architect quite closely recently (in a private capacity), itís been much fun, so Iím intrigued what you mean by this.
    "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #32
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      Behind My Eyes
      Posts
      6,693


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Thereís so much of my job thatís changed since I started my career that we are constantly reinventing our role.

      Basically, Iím just an Excel monkey now, though.
      I've spent the last 40 years doing that!
    • #33
      Members Herr Tubthumper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      The Fatherland
      Posts
      43,800


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      If the Government's reported plans for immigrants to have to earn £30,000 just to enter the country are true, then anything needing low skilled labour is likely to die out incredibly quickly.
      Given the collapse of the pound, any European person on minimum wage will satisfy this
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
    • #34
      A. Virgo, Football Genius
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      24,924


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      They won't be fixed, people will just buy new ones. I had a problem with my daughter's Chromebook, it cost so much to fix that I ended up buying another. That will permeate into the office culture too.

      The ongoing move to cloud will remove another layer of support. Yes, there's still a need for someone to support the cloud servers but far fewer of them. And the growing rise in automation will mean even less human intervention.
      strongly disagree with that. firstly, apps functionality and configuration still needs to fixed, you just junk off your device because you cant connect to the wifi. secondly the support at best moves from office to third party, who do it badly, or to developers who do it haphazardly (because they focus on delivery then next project). your approach sadly is pervading IT and i see a trail of misconfigured/half working systems as a result.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
    • #35
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Uffern
      Posts
      23,415


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      your approach sadly is pervading IT and i see a trail of misconfigured/half working systems as a result.
      It's not my approach, I'm just stating on what I see happening when I talk to companies (both vendors and customers). There's definitely a move to cut back the numbers who deal with IT support
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
    • #36
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      16,460


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Staffs Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Dont agree, it is a change of roles, not a reduction of roles. 20 years ago IT support fixed physical PCs and installed servers, then it moved to virtualised servers and laptops that got swapped out. Much time was spent configuring Standard OS builds and managing data centers. Now cloud servers and services, office 365, SASS etc but the emphasis is on security and network protection, centralized policies, analytics etc. All different skills blended with the old ones.

      Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
      Exactly right. We're moving more and more stuff into the Cloud - and our Tech Support team has just taken on a new member of staff! As you say the roles, jobs and skills change, but the demand for 'IT support' people is higher than it ever was. The problem is more for people who can't adapt. If you could only sell domestic coal, typewriters or rent out videos then yes, you're probably ****ed.

    • #37
      Absolutely Sheeboed Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      BN1
      Posts
      53,873


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's not my approach, I'm just stating on what I see happening when I talk to companies (both vendors and customers). There's definitely a move to cut back the numbers who deal with IT support
      Employers will doubtless be eyeing up cutting back the numbers who deal with IT support. They always have done. But at the same time they want their issue fixed right here right now, and not by somebody in a different timezone reading off a script.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
    • #38
      A. Virgo, Football Genius
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      24,924


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's not my approach, I'm just stating on what I see happening when I talk to companies (both vendors and customers). There's definitely a move to cut back the numbers who deal with IT support
      you are of course correct about that. trouble is there isnt a magic tech-fairy fixing things, it just breaks and no one bothers until its big enough issue for managment to shout about it (im pretty fed up with it as you might tell)
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
    • #39
      Members Steve Foster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Formerly the nice bit in Hove, now Caroline Lucas territory
      Posts
      7,849


      1 Not allowed!
      There are more lawyers in the UK now than at any other time - with Brexit looming there will be even more I suspect.

      Financial Planners are on the list too - Well I have been an Independent Financial Adviser for more than 25 years & we are busier than ever !
    • #40
      Members
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      18,144


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      When you says it’s a trade, what do you mean? I’ve been working with an architect quite closely recently (in a private capacity), it’s been much fun, so I’m intrigued what you mean by this.
      Generally by the way Architects are valued within the industry. In no way disparaging to architects themselves, we are still ****ing brilliant to be fair.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •