Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They won't be fixed, people will just buy new ones. I had a problem with my daughter's Chromebook, it cost so much to fix that I ended up buying another. That will permeate into the office culture too.

The ongoing move to cloud will remove another layer of support. Yes, there's still a need for someone to support the cloud servers but far fewer of them. And the growing rise in automation will mean even less human intervention.
    Dont agree, it is a change of roles, not a reduction of roles. 20 years ago IT support fixed physical PCs and installed servers, then it moved to virtualised servers and laptops that got swapped out. Much time was spent configuring Standard OS builds and managing data centers. Now cloud servers and services, office 365, SASS etc but the emphasis is on security and network protection, centralized policies, analytics etc. All different skills blended with the old ones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    South Australia, Heaps Good

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Thereís so much of my job thatís changed since I started my career that we are constantly reinventing our role.

Basically, Iím just an Excel monkey now, though.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Antikythera Mechanism View Post
      MEPís
      Until we vote to rejoin the EU in about 10 years.
      England are still the only team to have won the World Cup wearing red shirts.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Staffs Gull View Post
      Dont agree, it is a change of roles, not a reduction of roles. 20 years ago IT support fixed physical PCs and installed servers, then it moved to virtualised servers and laptops that got swapped out. Much time was spent configuring Standard OS builds and managing data centers. Now cloud servers and services, office 365, SASS etc but the emphasis is on security and network protection, centralized policies, analytics etc. All different skills blended with the old ones.
      Yes, that's what happening now but this is about the future. I've just started doing work for a company that's all about automating network security. It's all very early for this sort of thing but it will happen.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by happypig View Post
      When I changed roles in 1991 I was told that the technology I was working on would be gone by the middle of the 1990s. I am still working on it and teaching new people all about it.

Sometimes customers dont want to change. It is technically possible for an airliner to fly itself from Heathrow to Washington with no human intervention but would anyone go on it ?
      I used to work in the aerospace industry 20+years ago and there was a joke going round then:
      How many crew do you need to flu a plane?

answer: two, a man and a dog. The man to feed the dog, and the dog to stop the man touching the controls.
      "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposing team". Jean-Paul Sartre.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      I was going to say Architects!

Who the hell wants to do 6 or 7 years studying for essentially a role that has devolved into a trade. You have to be passionate about it now, consider the debt you'd come out of training with, and the fact that you'll be behind the earnings of most building trades let along other professionals for many years thereafter until you perhaps reach more senior roles, which not everyone does. And you have to take all the shit and liability that comes with it.

Architects doing it for the love and passion and desire to win the best jobs has cost the profession dearly in terms of revenue over the years. You only have to compare average salaries across Engineers, Surveyors and Architects to see the disparity.
      Hard to disagree.

Nearly 30 years after I was rejected for a place at Uni to study Architecture & went down the Technologist route, I am now a Director of an Architectural Practice working on some of the most prestigious residential developments in London.

So glad that I didn't rack up the debt, even if as an ambitious 18 year old, I was disappointed to have had my dream snatched from me.

Funny how things work out.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
      Until we vote to rejoin the EU in about 10 years.
      40 years - same gap as between the first two referendums.
      Members

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lankyseagull View Post
      Nearly 30 years after I was rejected for a place at Uni to study Architecture & went down the Technologist route, I am now a Director of an Architectural Practice working on some of the most prestigious residential developments in London.

So glad that I didn't rack up the debt.
      You may be glad how things worked out but you wouldn't have racked up any debt, tuition fees were introduced in 1998 not 30 years ago (and they only £1,000 a year then)
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      You may be glad how things worked out but you wouldn't have racked up any debt, tuition fees were introduced in 1998 not 30 years ago (and they only £1,000 a year then)
      1 point to you.

0 Not allowed!
      If the Government's reported plans for immigrants to have to earn £30,000 just to enter the country are true, then anything needing low skilled labour is likely to die out incredibly quickly.