Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Sky vs Virgin Media - any views/experiences ?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
..and this

[/QUOTE] Have settled on a reduction in price on existing package for now of about £50, with possible upgrade to Sky Q as and when they offer me a decent price on additional miniboxes - not paying £99 each for the extra 2 I'd need. Apparently there are regular offers through the 'VIP App'.[/QUOTE]

Also be aware you will not own the miniboxes they are on loan for the length of your contract. Best time to do deals with Sky is when your contract is up, although it's a complete pain you have to keep saying no to their offers until you get the one you want.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Would never touch VM with someone else's 20' barge pole, it might be fine for some but I had never ending issues when I had their services. Part of me wishes that VM would install the hardware locally though as it would give me a bargaining chip with Sky.

Currently on SkyQ and after having the mounting bracket for the dish sorted out by a local aerial engineer for £30 it has been faultless, the Internet has been rock solid as well, which is something I never had with VM.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Started with virgin when they were still steam powered, but have been with sky as well. I've regularly swapped between the two to get the best deals.
Now I'm going to drop everything except BB with virgin.
There are cheaper options out there for me such as an aerial for freeview, plus i'm binning the landline as nobody phones out on it nor do I receive any calls.
Not everyones idea for digital entertainment I know, but the amount I watch its the best option

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
Just had the full Virgin Media package installed (VIP bundle). Was previously with Sky, who I had no issue with, other than issues with signal due to trees behind us. My broadband / landline was with TalkTalk who I was glad to see the back of.

I am very impressed so far. Speed test shows 229Mbps, in the room with the router, and at the far reaches of the house still getting 60+ Mbps…..so considerably better than TalkTalk (in so many ways!!). TV boxes in two rooms, and I am happy with the interface, which is easy to use, and something I was concerned about having read reviews, and also being a Sky Q user previously....which was excellent. Biggest benefit to the TV is I now have all the BT Sport channels in addition to the Sky Sports channels I had previously (happy days!). Sky Cinema also included in the package which will be beneficial.

The Virgin remote controls work on Bluetooth, which means the box can be tucked away, as no need for line of site. Mobile app also acts as a remote control, which is very neat, and another app allows you to control activity on the Hub. Home phone also connected, so no separate BT line.

In summary, very impressed so far. Much faster WiFi, more TV channels, and around £30 per month cheaper than my previous Sky / TalkTalk combo

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just had the full Virgin Media package installed (VIP bundle). Was previously with Sky, who I had no issue with, other than issues with signal due to trees behind us. My broadband / landline was with TalkTalk who I was glad to see the back of.

I am very impressed so far. Speed test shows 229Mbps, in the room with the router, and at the far reaches of the house still getting 60+ Mbps…..so considerably better than TalkTalk (in so many ways!!). TV boxes in two rooms, and I am happy with the interface, which is easy to use, and something I was concerned about having read reviews, and also being a Sky Q user previously....which was excellent. Biggest benefit to the TV is I now have all the BT Sport channels in addition to the Sky Sports channels I had previously (happy days!). Sky Cinema also included in the package which will be beneficial.

The Virgin remote controls work on Bluetooth, which means the box can be tucked away, as no need for line of site. Mobile app also acts as a remote control, which is very neat, and another app allows you to control activity on the Hub. Home phone also connected, so no separate BT line.

In summary, very impressed so far. Much faster WiFi, more TV channels, and around £30 per month cheaper than my previous Sky / TalkTalk combo

Can you get BT channels on more than one TV ? With the fed via Sky it's restricted to one box and the mobile app.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We’ve had Nynex/C&W/NTL/Virgin for TV since 1996. Great picture quality and we’ve had no need to call customer services for about 10 years. On the very rare occasion where their box has frozen, we simply turn it off at the mains for a minute, then on again for a reboot.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I have tended to move around between virgin, sky and bt. I’ve had some fine deals over the years, but **** me have I had to work for it
You have to play the companies off against each other.
be prepared to spend hours on automated phone services and negotiating with call centre people who don’t speak great English and don’t have authority to give good deals.
Also be prepared to be told a deal is a great deal, when in fact it’s readily available online.
Basically a stream of endless bs and lots of ‘press one for this, two for that, twenty three for the other ‘. Zzzz

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
BT Sport is a costly add on, or part of an expensive package, whether it be Virgin or Sky. They have to recoup the vast sums paid to the PL and UEFA.

I finally succumbed and added BT last winter.

It's going to be available via Sky subscription sometime next year apparently (obviously at a cost.....)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
After 13 years I've finally had enough of Virgin and looking to take my custom to sky

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Whatever you do , order through topcashback or an equivalent website. Same goes for any insurance.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What have they done wrong?
Basically paying about 50 a month for the most basic package, for 75 I can get better channels, Netflix/sky box sets and a box in the bedroom!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here