Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Grenfell Tower bonfire

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
"Detectives investigating a video of a model of Grenfell Tower being burned on a bonfire have searched a house in south London believed to be the home of one of the five men who handed themselves in to police on Monday night.

Three officers carried evidence bags into the terraced property and knocked on neighbours’ doors while the men were being questioned on suspicion of a public order offence. "

I'm all for them being publically vilified, they deserve it. But this is a ridiculous waste of police time.

I'm not even for that. I can see people being murdered such is the associated emotion

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I think we need more Police funding cuts, as if they have the funds available to arrest people and waste their time over an issue like this, surely we can find better use for that public money being spent elsewhere.

It's just 5 dickheads being dickheads. The hysteria over this is staggering. Its as if people have such empty pointless lives, they actively seek out things to be offended by.

Get over it. There are real issues facing us at the moment. Not some dickhead making a tower shaped bonfire.

Maybe the police should go out and arrest anyone who was at a Bonfire with a guy of the PM sat on top of it. It would be just as pointless as just as laughable.

You imagine the phone call. 999 Police, help, I am being burgled and threaten with a knife. Sorry sir we don't have the resources to send anyone out to help. Someone built a nasty shaped bonfire and offended a bunch of snowflakes, and we are all tied up questioning the suspects! Good luck with the burglar sir.
This , 100%.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you had lost a loved one at Grenfell then you may feel a bit different

Maybe.

But we are constantly reminded how overstretched the police are these days due to cuts. Logically, detectives and 3 officers searching some muggy Palace scrotes hovel and seizing evidence to bring back and examine (scissors ? selotape ? crayons ?) won't in the long run achieve an awful lot.

These scumbags fully deserve all the bile thats coming their way. I'm not sure it deserves THIS much police attention though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think a lot of Bantz loving,freedom of speech, half wit Nazis are not seeing the difference between a mock burning of a perceived perpetrator of evil to that of a mock burning and melting chocolate effigies of victims of a horrible incident.
Luckily not many people are like that?

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
:nono: :nono: :nono:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46106224

There is no doubt that this goes beyond poor taste - it's really very unpleasant that anybody could think this was a good idea. But there are two things that bother me and I feel are in danger of being overlooked:

1) Five people have been arrested over this. Really? I mean it's vile, it really is, but do we really want to go down the path of arresting people for this sort of thing? I'd be interested to know NSC's opinion on this.

2) The article points out that Theresa May has called the video "utterly unacceptable". To me this is typical of her really - did she need to lower herself to comment on this at all, given that she wasn't all that quick to condemn (if she has done so at all) the Conservative council that saw fit to penny pinch with flammable cladding just so that this dreadful eyesore of a building didn't offend the eyes of her core voters in posh Kensington. In my view, it's much easier to get the pitch forks at people posting videos in poor taste than it ever was to actually confront the people whose responsibility it was to look after that building in the first place. Very weak.

Looking forward to the social media lynch mob. Wankers deserve everything coming their way.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If their lives are ruined because of this then no, no they don't. They haven't murdered anyone, they've just been tossers FFS.

I suspect they were tosses before doing this and will continue to be tossers in the future, it’s not as if they’re kids who have a few things to learn.

But being a tosser isn’t itself worth an infraction, if it was NSC would be very quiet at times.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If their lives are ruined because of this then no, no they don't. They haven't murdered anyone, they've just been tossers FFS.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. Any social media discomfort will be as short-lived as it is well-deserved. How else are c***s supposed to ever learn not to be c***s? And reportedly some of them are WAY old enough to know better. Tho hopefully never too old to learn eh?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Buy the ticket, take the ride. Any social media discomfort will be as short-lived as it is well-deserved. How else are c***s supposed to ever learn not to be c***s? And reportedly some of them are WAY old enough to know better. Tho hopefully never too old to learn eh?

They deserve everything they get, wasn't someone singing a song on the spur of the moment or chanting something, they went to the time and trouble of building the model including the black people and the burka wearing woman and try to be as funny as possible to them but as offensive as anything could be to anyone with a sense of decency and knowing right from wrong.

They will have to go into hiding now as I they will be marked men for a long time.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
It was in very bad taste and should definitely know better, but it seems these kind of crimes are prioritized over burglaries, violent assaults and serious crime in general. For Theresa May to comment so quickly just seems all a bit suspect to me. Seems to be a thought police narrative to me, rather than TM and her government actually giving a single shit about it.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They deserve everything they get, wasn't someone singing a song on the spur of the moment or chanting something, they went to the time and trouble of building the model including the black people and the burka wearing woman and try to be as funny as possible to them but as offensive as anything could be to anyone with a sense of decency and knowing right from wrong.

They will have to go into hiding now as I they will be marked men for a long time.

You have to be a bit of a sicko to actually put that kind of effort in. At no point in the process of building it did any of them have second thoughts and put a stop to it.
Should they be processed as criminals? I’m not sure , I don’t know what they were chanting as it burned but they certainly need some kind of behavioural therapy. It’s just not normal behaviour.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You have to be a bit of a sicko to actually put that kind of effort in. At no point in the process of building it did any of them have second thoughts and put a stop to it.
Should they be processed as criminals? I’m not sure , I don’t know what they were chanting as it burned but they certainly need some kind of behavioural therapy. It’s just not normal behaviour.

Perhaps they should give their house to a homeless Grenfell victim as a penitence ???

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'd go along with the they are unfeeling and heartless tossers general view - but that there are worse things in life than that.

Government statements are all just by the book reactions to get some right-on brownie points, mostly because if they didn't say anything then social media would be bleating on about how the government doesn't condemn obvious tosser views. The statements are not exactly going to convince class warriors to vote Tory, so it's just damage prevention rather than persuasion. Like much in modern politics it could be probably be run by AI these days without much trouble.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agree entirely. A perfect example of police time being wasted to satisfy the snowflake generation. "Hello is that the police? Someone is trying to break into my house." "Sorry, we're far too busy arresting people who posted a video that some other people may not like. We've got to get our priorities right."

Er, no. You haven't grasped this have you? There is no need for the law to pursue these dimwits, but not for the reason you offer.

'Snowflakes' :facepalm:

Back in your box, then.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im surprised at some asking why the police are involved, i'd have thougt it would be the right-wing, "why police dealing with this not catching immigrant rapists" types. strange times.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The problem for the authorities is not so much what happened, but the fact:

1) It was uploaded on the internet and caused a mild social media storm.
2) Has been covered extensively on the National Press and Television
3) Made international news

A quite off the scale sick joke, that started as something private but quickly exploded into a big news story.

The Police are in a no-win situation.

A few years ago I saw someone hiding in a neighbours back garden (from my upstairs window) then a few minutes later this very distressed man knocked on the door because he had been mugged and needed someone to ring the police.

Apparently some people came to help and chased after the thief. Didn't take much to put two and two together to see he was crouching down in the garden below my flat.

Police simply didn't have the resources at hand to come immediately. They came much later but the bloke had seen his opportunity and gone.

As pissed off as I was (very much so at the time), I'd still expect them to investigate this. In any case they've handed themselves into the Police for "their own safety".

Yes, Police time has been wasted but that isn't their fault. I work near the Tower and local feeling has obviously been very raw since the tragedy.

Police simply can't be seen to ignore it even if it turns out no actual offence was committed.

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
The sad thing is that this is not confined to a small group of imbeciles in Croydon. I’ve worked, in the past, with seemingly intelligent, hard working people who would also find this sort of behaviour amusing because of their extreme racial prejudices. Outwardly they appear quite normal until certain subjects are broached and then they show their true colours. They tend to limit their outbursts to other likeminded individuals, but it’s certainly very uncomfortable to listen to, if in earshot.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The police HAVE to deal with incidents like this, for the protection of the ****wits. They should at least be fined a lot for the resources needed. and mean while elsewhere someone is getting their house robbed because there arent enough police available. Personally I'm lost for words. They should be prosecuted. Again what for, dont know, I'm sure you cant go round burning "little ninjas" and stuff

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Whenever there have been disasters, jokes and insensitive remarks follow often accompanied by ignorance. Those idiots are guilty of the latter more than anything clearly criminal in the legal sense.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here