Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Grenfell Tower bonfire

13 Not allowed!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46106224

There is no doubt that this goes beyond poor taste - it's really very unpleasant that anybody could think this was a good idea. But there are two things that bother me and I feel are in danger of being overlooked:

1) Five people have been arrested over this. Really? I mean it's vile, it really is, but do we really want to go down the path of arresting people for this sort of thing? I'd be interested to know NSC's opinion on this.

2) The article points out that Theresa May has called the video "utterly unacceptable". To me this is typical of her really - did she need to lower herself to comment on this at all, given that she wasn't all that quick to condemn (if she has done so at all) the Conservative council that saw fit to penny pinch with flammable cladding just so that this dreadful eyesore of a building didn't offend the eyes of her core voters in posh Kensington. In my view, it's much easier to get the pitch forks at people posting videos in poor taste than it ever was to actually confront the people whose responsibility it was to look after that building in the first place. Very weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

5 Not allowed!
      I'm not sure they'll actually get charged with anything, but just being outed and having to look friends and family in the eye will give them some punishment hopefully.

9 Not allowed!
      Point 1

If the bonfire had been confined their own back garden, then I doubt they would have been arrested (they turned themselves in). They chose to put the video on social media so it then comes under the Public Order Act (5) Section 5 makes it an offence to use “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour” or to display “any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting” within the hearing or sight of a person “likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.
      There is also a racial aggravating factor in the video.

Point 2
      I agree completely.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by DavidRyder View Post
      I'm not sure they'll actually get charged with anything, but just being outed and having to look friends and family in the eye will give them some punishment hopefully.
      I tend to think people as stupid as this still probably don't see why it is deemed offensive. But there are thick, boorish people everywhere - I don't want them arrested for it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Yeah, I'm not sure what the crime is. You can't be convicted of being a dickhead unfortunately
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

9 Not allowed!
      Morgan is sticking his oar in name and shame and then goes on to mention Grenfell families still haven’t been re housed. To me that is more disgusting than some dickheads thinking they are funny.
      You make me
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I saw this on the news last night. There really are some hateful people around. What the **** is going on in your mind that you think that is a good idea and to film it and put it on social media? I hope they do get nicked personally. However, I'm not sure what Theresa May could do here though, if she was asked to comment then she is really obliged to?

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post

There is no doubt that this goes beyond poor taste - it's really very unpleasant that anybody could think this was a good idea. But there are two things that bother me and I feel are in danger of being overlooked:

1) Five people have been arrested over this. Really? I mean it's vile, it really is, but do we really want to go down the path of arresting people for this sort of thing? I'd be interested to know NSC's opinion on this.

2) The article points out that Theresa May has called the video "utterly unacceptable". To me this is typical of her really - did she need to lower herself to comment on this at all, given that she wasn't all that quick to condemn (if she has done so at all) the Conservative council that saw fit to penny pinch with flammable cladding just so that this dreadful eyesore of a building didn't offend the eyes of her core voters in posh Kensington. In my view, it's much easier to get the pitch forks at people posting videos in poor taste than it ever was to actually confront the people whose responsibility it was to look after that building in the first place. Very weak.
      Just had this very discussion with the admin in our office. She thinks they should be charged (she couldn't say with what) and my thoughts are that these people are sick, pathetic and cowardly however IMO a crime hasn't been committed (the law may say otherwise). None of these thoughts condone the actions of these people, simply that if we start giving out criminal records for being a **** then many on here (including myself at times) are in for a long stretch.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post

Of course Theresa May had to comment. I presume she was asked a question and replied, much like Amber Rudd did on telly this morning!
      Jesus, what kind of reaction would there have been in the mob media if she'd made no comment?
      I understand that the cladding used on Grenfell has also been found on approximately another 300 buildings throughout the country. It would seem that the Building Regs. need overhauling.
      No doubt the Grenfell Inquiry will answer many questions regarding responsibility and if criminal behaviour is found to have occurred, then I hope the law will take its course.
      I find it quite ridiculous to have a pop at the PM in such a manner.
      Je suis rôti de boeuf RandyWanger's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      It's all over twitter, lots of outrage. It's poor taste indeed. Could probably go down as a hate crime, lots of people using the racist narrative.
      Going for the juggler