Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Grenfell Tower bonfire

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Everyone will just end up doing something because they have to be seen to be doing something - politicians decry it, because how would it look if they do nothing; police investigate and charge because how would it look if they did nothing; employers will sack them because how will it look if they don't; the press slams them, because how will it look if they don't jump on the bandwagon.

Funny old world. Almost (but not quite) makes you feel sorry for the five simpletons.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Morgan is sticking his oar in name and shame and then goes on to mention Grenfell families still haven’t been re housed. To me that is more disgusting than some dickheads thinking they are funny.

I wonder if any of the politicians will say this. You are spot on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Funny old world. Almost (but not quite) makes you feel sorry for the five simpletons.

dont. its not a drunken lark in the moment, they have put some time into this, the construction, then videoing and uploading. plenty of opportunity to pause and think "this a good idea?". deserve everything, take responsibility.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I live within sight of the tower. It has a banner atop with a huge love heart. I don't know why I chose to write this, I just did. Perhaps the people who did this are just insensitive idiots but as punishment I think they should be made to sweep up the streets around the tower and just spend some time in its shadow.

Or do like they would have in medieval times and bring back public stocks so poor could throw rotten fruit at them

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I tend to think people as stupid as this still probably don't see why it is deemed offensive. But there are thick, boorish people everywhere - I don't want them arrested for it.

Jonathan Pie (character, he isn't real..) sums this up if you listen to the whole video. The guy is brilliant. :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Genuinely at a loss to understand how any of them could have thought this was a good idea, or in any way funny. They must have something wrong with them. To have gone to all the time, effort and planning to do something like this, then to film it, and upload it onto the internet for the world to see - did they not have a single inkling what kind of a shitstorm they would be bringing down on themselves once this went viral ?? Any normal person would be ashamed and embarrassed to share this amongst their own friends and family on Facebook / Twitter or whatever it is they posted it on. I'd be mortified if this was done by a family member or friend of mine.

The spectacular levels of stupidity within this pitiful group of cackling cockstains is absolutely off the scale. They're going to get absolutely slaughtered over this, and having deliberately brought it all upon themselves, they richly deserve it.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Morgan is sticking his oar in name and shame and then goes on to mention Grenfell families still haven’t been re housed. To me that is more disgusting than some dickheads thinking they are funny.

If we are going to have a hierachy on what is offensive with regards to Grenfell, lets start at those who are seeking to use the tragedy as a means of defrauding taxpayers, and/or charities. These individuals are the ones that should be headline news, these are the lowest of the low, essentially stealing not just off the taxpayer, but also off the families affected. I have yet to see these people subject to the vitriol that those burning this effigy have got or are going to get. Deserved or not perspective is out the window on this one...

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/...ey-recovered-cps_uk_5badee79e4b0b4d308d1dec4/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ole-62000-fund-lavish-holidays-expensive/amp/

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/01/the-...rofit-from-death-and-destruction-7593191/amp/

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/gren...-87000-jailed-for-more-than-six-years-1149282

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Point 2 yes

Point 1, well not much shocks me to be honest. Satire, inappropriate bad humour, sometimes people make errors of judgement. But this is just way outside of any of that, absolutely inexplicably stupid and vile. Im sure they will find a crime to associate it with. No idea what the punishment should be. We cant send someone to jail for being a ****. Removal from the gene pool seems appropriate. Im sure there are creative ways to do that with a bonfire say. Hey it could go on you tube! That would be a laugh

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think we need more Police funding cuts, as if they have the funds available to arrest people and waste their time over an issue like this, surely we can find better use for that public money being spent elsewhere.

It's just 5 dickheads being dickheads. The hysteria over this is staggering. Its as if people have such empty pointless lives, they actively seek out things to be offended by.

Get over it. There are real issues facing us at the moment. Not some dickhead making a tower shaped bonfire.

Maybe the police should go out and arrest anyone who was at a Bonfire with a guy of the PM sat on top of it. It would be just as pointless as just as laughable.

You imagine the phone call. 999 Police, help, I am being burgled and threaten with a knife. Sorry sir we don't have the resources to send anyone out to help. Someone built a nasty shaped bonfire and offended a bunch of snowflakes, and we are all tied up questioning the suspects! Good luck with the burglar sir.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If we are going to have a hierachy on what is offensive with regards to Grenfell, lets start at those who are seeking to use the tragedy as a means of defrauding taxpayers, and/or charities. These individuals are the ones that should be headline news, these are the lowest of the low, essentially stealing not just off the taxpayer, but also off the families affected. I have yet to see these people subject to the vitriol that those burning this effigy have got or are going to get. Deserved or not perspective is out the window on this one...]

I don't think anyone is looking for a hierarchy of what is most offensive with regards to Grenfell - I'm not expecting to see a league table published. This current news story has broken in the last 24 hours though, and so is bound to be receiving attention at the moment. None of the other stories you post linked with the tragedy are any less diminished by this latest shitstorm. It just amounts to Whataboutery.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why is not surprising that the cockwombles are from Croydon? If anyone opened a book as to where the sorry scene took place, Croydon must have been a strong call.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Genuinely at a loss to understand how any of them could have thought this was a good idea, or in any way funny. They must have something wrong with them. To have gone to all the time, effort and planning to do something like this, then to film it, and upload it onto the internet for the world to see - did they not have a single inkling what kind of a shitstorm they would be bringing down on themselves once this went viral ?? Any normal person would be ashamed and embarrassed to share this amongst their own friends and family on Facebook / Twitter or whatever it is they posted it on. I'd be mortified if this was done by a family member or friend of mine.

The spectacular levels of stupidity within this pitiful group of cackling cockstains is absolutely off the scale. They're going to get absolutely slaughtered over this, and having deliberately brought it all upon themselves, they richly deserve it.

I get why people find this distasteful because this is no laughing matter, and yet if a Grenfell survivor decided to burn an effigy of the tower as a protest / reminder against the government dragging its heels over the slow replacement of flammable cladding on buildings throughout the UK they'd be making a powerful statement.

I get why people find this distasteful because this is no laughing matter, and yet if a Grenfell survivor decided to burn an effigy of the tower as a protest / reminder against the government dragging its heels over the slow replacement of flammable cladding on buildings throughout the UK they'd be making a powerful statement.

They probably wouldn't have drawn brown people in the windows though.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why is not surprising that the cockwombles are from Croydon? If anyone opened a book as to where the sorry scene took place, Croydon must have been a strong call.

Particularly a sorry scene involving the burning of stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The 19 year old arrested has been named as Bobbi Connell. According to his Facebook page, Mr Connell attended Harris Academy in South Norwood and now works for Ralph Lauren, having previously been employed by JD Sports.
He supports his local Premier League football team Crystal Palace.

I imagine it’s now “Did work for Ralph Lauren. “

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
She could have commented in many ways, but the sensible thing to have done was surely to have said "it would be inappropriate to comment whilst this is being investigated" or something. As I say, it's not so much that she commented, just that she obviously did so readily when she was far more guarded about the actions of the local council, who quite possibly have blood on their hands rather than simply being boorish morons.
¥
You'd have had plenty to say if it had been a Labour PM and Labour council whose watch this had been on.

Mrs May will no doubt wait for the outcome of the enquiry before commenting in a less guarded manner. Seems sensible to me. As I have said, there are about 300 buildings in the country with this sort of cladding. Some no doubt in Labour controlled councils. I don't think this is a party political matter, more a failure in building regulations. However, if there has been criminal behaviour l trust the law will take its course. To say I would have had plenty to say had there been a Labour Council, is, quite frankly, insulting. Anyway, I am on holiday for a few days so will be taking no further part in the discussion.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I must admit that I am a bit uneasy about the criminal justice system being used against these deeply unpleasant people. What is offensive or in bad taste is very subjective and will change in time with the potential of creating dangerous precedents for the future. I think most of us can agree that they were being very offensive but not putting anyone at risk, or compromising anyone's individual's rights, by their actions, which for me is the 'red line' when it comes to freedom of speech and expression. If individuals or groups of individuals, such as survivors or relatives were to initiate some form of action themselves I think that could be different but we still get into the area of whether people have a right not to be offended. It's a difficult one as on an emotional level I would really like to see them suffer some punishment for this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here