Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How would you feel..........

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
On the tips front, a lot of them are only paid in tips....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To clarify, what irks me is the zombie-faced, wordless berks who simply carry a plate and place it on your table... then expect a big tip for doing so.

If I was working for tips only, I'd be prancing round like Liberace on crack making sure everyone had a wonderful experience!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To clarify, what irks me is the zombie-faced, wordless berks who simply carry a plate and place it on your table... then expect a big tip for doing so.

If I was working for tips only, I'd be prancing round like Liberace on crack making sure everyone had a wonderful experience!

Indeed.

When we went to New York, we did some research on tipping. Apparently, if you’ve had particularly poor service, you should “only” tip 15%. WHAT! Poor service gets NOTHING from me, wherever I am in the world. Nobody tips me for doing my job well and I expect “normal service” to be included in the price. If it isn’t, take it up with your employer!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed.

When we went to New York, we did some research on tipping. Apparently, if you’ve had particularly poor service, you should “only” tip 15%. WHAT! Poor service gets NOTHING from me, wherever I am in the world. Nobody tips me for doing my job well and I expect “normal service” to be included in the price. If it isn’t, take it up with your employer!

Problem is the waiting staff in the US get **** all in terms of salary - typically half, or less, of 'minimum' wage, so without tips they earn virtually nothing. Most US restaurants 'suggest' the tip on the bill -this has been creeping up over the last few years, quite typical to give you three options now of, say, 19%, 22% and 25%...........................

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Always use Tesco pay at pump, much quicker and easier. Ok fact, Tesco only take a quid when you put your card in, the balance is not paid for 2-3 days.

With the US. I had a meal in SF and was in and out of an expensive restaurant in about 20 minutes. Food delivered as soon as I ordered it, no personality from the waitress who had just plonked my plate down. So, I didn't leave a tip. I was outside taking some photos and the waitress ran out saying I had forgotten to leave a tip, so, I explained why. She said that her boss will expect her to have got a tip and so will tax her as if she had. Firstly, how does her boss no how much tip she got to tax her on it? and secondly, I told her to find a new boss/job and walked away!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I could see John Lewis jumping on this idea.
Our local JL homestore at Wycombe, makes me feel like I've spent loads of money, even before I've entered.
I think that's just the nature of the beast, it's of a more salubrious store than others.
Good idea for fuel, but not for high street of departmental store, given if you only want to go in and use their facilities.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
No brainer. Anyone who is legitimately going to pay will do so regardless. Just stop the £10’s of millions being stolen by the scummy minority.

From what I’ve seen here in Canada, you select how much you want your card to be pre approved for at the pump. Smart.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Not for much longer by the sounds of it - MasterCard and Visa have changed their rules requiring ‘pay-at-the-pump’ garages to pre-authorise £99 before dispensing petrol.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/08/petrol-stations-introduce-new-99-charge-pay-pump/
How will that work if you only have a tenner in your account and only want £10 Of petrol?

Other petrol stations I have been to take the money you spend straightaway, rather than £1 and x amount by later.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
How will that work if you only have a tenner in your account and only want £10 Of petrol?

Other petrol stations I have been to take the money you spend straightaway, rather than £1 and x amount by later.

If it is the way it worked at Asda then it won’t let you have any and you’ll have to pay at the kiosk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here