Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Will Hay films and others.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed, if for no other reason than it includes Thora Hird as an attractive young woman!

Should also have mentioned Dead of Night, possibly one of the greatest horror films ever made, and of course Alistair Sim as Scrooge in the best-ever version of A Christmas Carol.

That Christmas Carol film is amazing. Stars a young George Cole, who was kind of adopted by the Sim's family.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Another vote from me for Laurel and Hardy. Been watching some of their films again the past few days, the short ones were absolute genius.

Unlike Laurel and Hardy though, Harold Lloyd never managed to bridge the gap from silent to talkies. He WAS however, completely brilliant in his choreography for many of the tricks in his films and imo, he was the best silent performer apart from the previously mentioned duo.

Recently in my job in a primary school, I showed some Laurel and Hardy clips to some autistic children who needed to learn more about facial expression and gestures. Even for talkies, Laurel and Hardy emphasised these communication tools as though they were still in silent films. Simply wonderful and the children were literally crying with laughter.

As for Will Hay, I loved his films when i saw them in the 70's. I must reaquaint myself with them!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another vote from me for Laurel and Hardy. Been watching some of their films again the past few days, the short ones were absolute genius.

Unlike Laurel and Hardy though, Harold Lloyd never managed to bridge the gap from silent to talkies. He WAS however, completely brilliant in his choreography for many of the tricks in his films and imo, he was the best silent performer apart from the previously mentioned duo.

Recently in my job in a primary school, I showed some Laurel and Hardy clips to some autistic children who needed to learn more about facial expression and gestures. Even for talkies, Laurel and Hardy emphasised these communication tools as though they were still in silent films. Simply wonderful and the children were literally crying with laughter.

As for Will Hay, I loved his films when i saw them in the 70's. I must reaquaint myself with them!

Laurel & Hardy - so memorable, that I can still recall episodes, decades later:

Moving the piano to a house up a steep set of steps.
Caught out by their aggressive wives for going on a WW1 Legionnaires reunion and lying (spotted in newsreels).
Press ganged into working on a boat.
The timber mill.

I must buy a bluray box set.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Love a bit of nostalgia me. I even bought a couple of DVDs of the Batman seriels that I used to watch at Saturday morning pictures in the late 50s/early 60s. Not as exciting watching them back to back but they serve as a good reminder of just how good they have got with filmmaking.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I have the Will Hay box set but only watched a couple so far. Used to watch as a kid and loved them. The one in the fire station was my favourite. Also a massive fan of Laurel & Hardy, Tony Hancock - superb comedy when comedy was innocent.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Laurel & Hardy - so memorable, that I can still recall episodes, decades later:

Moving the piano to a house up a steep set of steps.
Caught out by their aggressive wives for going on a WW1 Legionnaires reunion and lying (spotted in newsreels).
Press ganged into working on a boat.
The timber mill.

I must buy a bluray box set.

I always promised myself one day to go to LA and do a tour of the L&H sights. Those stairs are still there, but a 'little' more built up alas! At least they saved them I guess....
Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 13.58.49.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I always promised myself one day to go to LA and do a tour of the L&H sights. Those stairs are still there, but a 'little' more built up alas! At least they saved them I guess....
View attachment 101858

Brilliant, they're still there! Well done for going there.

Circa 85 years ago, a couple of comic geniuses were on that very spot.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here