Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Will Hay films and others.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I am not talking about an old romantic view,but just watching and many others like Ealing. Rubbish or really rather good in this age of social media gratification ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Saw Oh, Mr Porter as a child and thought it was extremely funny. Saw it again as an adult ...and still thought it was extremely funny.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The old British black-and-white films, especially the Ealing ones are, in my biased opinion, the best films ever made. The comedies obviously, stuff like Passport to Pimlico, the Ladykillers, Hue and Cry, Lavender Hill mob, etc; but also the war ones like Halfway House and Went the Day Well. Like Laurel and Hardy (the second best series of films ever) I can watch them again and again.

And even if you don't like the films themselves they're worth watching for the location shots so you can see bygone Britain.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
... but also the war ones like Halfway House and Went the Day Well. Like Laurel and Hardy (the second best series of films ever) I can watch them again and again.

I watched Went the Day Well a couple of months ago: I'd forgotten how good it was (and how dark it was too). It should be far better known

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
In the context of their time probably ground breaking. Haven't watched"Oh Mr Porter" for many years so will try and find a copy on the global interweb.

YouTube. They have some marvellous old comedies on there, including Oh Mr Porter and many other Will Hay films.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
It's so subjective,but Oh Mr Porter on the windmill. Albert "shall I go to the end" ? Hay "yes but don't go past the end".' For me the short of language you get in the way of life.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I appreciate this is stretching the 'and others' beyond what was meant but it seems like a good enough place to write:-

Charlie Chaplin was shitehouse, when compared to Harold Lloyd

#TeamLloyd - late review.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I watched Went the Day Well a couple of months ago: I'd forgotten how good it was (and how dark it was too). It should be far better known

Indeed, if for no other reason than it includes Thora Hird as an attractive young woman!

Should also have mentioned Dead of Night, possibly one of the greatest horror films ever made, and of course Alistair Sim as Scrooge in the best-ever version of A Christmas Carol.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Saw Oh, Mr Porter as a child and thought it was extremely funny. Saw it again as an adult ...and still thought it was extremely funny.

'The next train's already gone'....absolute classic Moore Marriot. I have the box DVD set and they are still very very funny. The speeding ticket set up sketch in 'Ask a Policeman' and the navigation on a piece of paper sketch in 'Windbag the Sailor' are classic pieces of brilliant comedy writing, still funny some 80 years + later.
Worth reading up on Will Hay, a very notable astronomer in his day.

'Boys will be Boys'........if I am allowed to say that these days, of course! :)

TNBA

TTF

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I am not talking about an old romantic view,but just watching and many others like Ealing. Rubbish or really rather good in this age of social media gratification ?

Some things will always be funny, whether it is Naked Gun, Airplane, Ealing Comedies, the Marx Brothers or any of the other things mentioned on here. Will Hay was a real favourite of my father's.

I was watching a programme on Sky Arts yesterday about Comedy Icons - Ronnie Barker. Quality Comedy is timeless.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
One with a football connection: "The Arsenal Stadium Mystery" available free on YouTube.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The old British black-and-white films, especially the Ealing ones are, in my biased opinion, the best films ever made. The comedies obviously, stuff like Passport to Pimlico, the Ladykillers, Hue and Cry, Lavender Hill mob, etc; but also the war ones like Halfway House and Went the Day Well....

Not forgetting Kind Hearts and Coronets and The Man in the White Suit.

I also loved the original St Trinians films with a young George Cole as Flash Harry.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At school we were shown Oh Mr Porter as a Christmas treat. Not sure it would go down too well with today's kids.

Once into mobile phones and tablets, they struggle to concentrate for 2 hours with any movie.

Brought up in the 70's, the love of classic British and Hollywood films was passed on to me, including the brilliant Laurel and Hardy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here