Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wayne Rooney to make England comeback

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46089205

I realise this is for charity but shirley it doesn't help the development of the England team? It will mean a striker will miss out who otherwise would have had a chance to stake his claim. Possibly even Glen Murray although I doubt it would be him, but somebody will.

I fully accept Rooney did well for England (most of the time) but it's a strange decision by the FA in my book. Is it designed to put bums on seats?

I wonder how Gareth Southgate feels about it?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46089205

I realise this is for charity but shirley it doesn't help the development of the England team? It will mean a striker will miss out who otherwise would have had a chance to stake his claim. Possibly even Glen Murray although I doubt it would be him, but somebody will.

I fully accept Rooney did well for England (most of the time) but it's a strange decision by the FA in my book. Is it designed to put bums on seats?

I wonder how Gareth Southgate feels about it?

Seems like it's an attempt to drum up the gate receipts, why stop there, might as well get Beckham back for the game too, he can't be much slower than when he quit ?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
He's doing well in the "Yee Haa it's Rainin' Dollars Retirement League Division 1" - which can't count for much - can it ?....

I have to be honest and say I'd largely forgotten about him.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why is the Wayne Rooney charity being allowed to use an England game to raise funds, surely there are more deserving charities that would welcome the high profile and funds that would come from such a game.
Rooney has stated he has retired from international football so why is he being allowed to reverse this decision on a whim. Southgate has gone down the path of selecting younger players, and now has either agreed or accepted selecting Rooney for part of this friendly game, thereby disrupting the team.
If Rooney wants to raise funds in this country why is he not going down the route of former England XI v Former European XI or similar, rather than being allowed to hijack a full international.
Now that we faced with this situation let's hope Rooney starts and gets hooked after 10 minutes to an ovation and we can get back to proper England friendly.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That's a pretty good offence shoot from Rooney. I'm sure the average PL keeper would have had half a chance at saving it.

When I read the thread title I guessed it was some kind of advisory role, like hair piece consultant.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Regardless of the charity aspect of it, I'm not a fan.

There shouldn't be what is effectively a testimonial at international level.

It completely cheapens the honour of winning a cap and representing the country.

When the likes of Steve Bruce with 3 Premier League titles failed to win one cap, this gesture seems ridiculous.

And it's not as if Rooney's always been universally popular with England fans with his 'loyal support' comments in South Africa.

With an England team that's won over the public and a manager who's building for an exciting future, it's an unwelcome step back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some of us may have thought this match was a meaningless friendly in a meaningless and unnecessary international break.

Now we know it.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
It's a marketing move from Nike who must've been absolutely livid he claimed he could "go out and get a coffee" and not get noticed. Not exactly the association of a Nike sponsored athlete.

How to fix that? Get him back in the England team (Nike) to play the USA (Nike) and raise brand RooneyTM awareness in the USA. Makes sense.

I'd be surprised if the FA and GS even had a say in it. That's football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a joke, frankly.

Southgate, we are led to believe, is in the process of building an England team for the future, that can go on and compete at the highest level. No doubt he, like every other England manager, will claim that the limited time he gets with the players always makes this a challenge.

So now we learn that we are binning one of these games off, to turn it into a Harlem Globetrotters Fairwell Rooney Open Top Bus England Tour of Brentwood. Sorry Harry. Piss off Rashford. DO one Rahim, Rooney's got a GONG to pick up, and wants to come on and wave at a half empty, indifferent stadium.

Who at the FA makes these decisions ? Did the brains leave with Ashworth ? Seemingly so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just as it was getting easier to like England they go and bring back such a divisive player. Stupid idea; it’s a no from me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Regardless of the charity aspect of it, I'm not a fan.

There shouldn't be what is effectively a testimonial at international level.

It completely cheapens the honour of winning a cap and representing the country.

When the likes of Steve Bruce with 3 Premier League titles failed to win one cap, this gesture seems ridiculous.

And it's not as if Rooney's always been universally popular with England fans with his 'loyal support' comments in South Africa.

With an England team that's won over the public and a manager who's building for an exciting future, it's an unwelcome step back.

This, this, this, this and (in the words of Alan 'Fluff' Freeman), er, er, er, er THIS! :O

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it was always part of the plan to bring him back for 1 game as he was picked in 1 squad and then dropped from the next and left to drift away without giving him the opportunity of a good bye as would be expected for England's all time leading goal scorer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here