Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To card or not to card?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I would be surprised if the ref hadn't anticipated it and taken advice from the refs association (or whoever) on whether he should or should not show a card should it happen.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I would be surprised if the ref hadn't anticipated it and taken advice from the refs association (or whoever) on whether he should or should not show a card should it happen.

I imagine they would have told him to be book anyone.

If he goes in to a tackle 5 minutes later and gets a yellow card and didn’t receive one correctly earlier, how is that fair on Cardiff?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's right that he was booked and the rules enforced. I would hope that the FA consider rescinding it afterwards based on the extraneous circumstances.

But the abuse directed towards Lee Probert for it has been a disgrace. He was in a no-win situation and came down on the side of adhering to the rules, which was exactly right.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't see why players can't write to the FA pre-game and say that they'll take their shirt off in circumstance X or Y, and ask whether the FA will allow it. It means that in situations like this and with Billy Sharp's kid, it goes without the rules being broken and allows for some sensibilities, but it would stop, as an example, James McClean having a poppy related t-shirt which is political in its nature.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I don't see why players can't write to the FA pre-game and say that they'll take their shirt off in circumstance X or Y, and ask whether the FA will allow it. It means that in situations like this and with Billy Sharp's kid, it goes without the rules being broken and allows for some sensibilities, but it would stop, as an example, James McClean having a poppy related t-shirt which is political in its nature.

Or they could just celebrate without raising their shirts like they did before football was invented in 1996

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
On the subject of Probert's brandishing of cards on Saturday, of far more importance, at least to the Albion, was his incomprehensible failure to spot Sol Bamba's handball on the line, to deny Vardy a goal. Clear penalty and red card, meaning he should not be playing on Saturday.

Which means he'll score, obviously.

Probert did, however, issue a fifth yellow of the season to Harry Arter, so we won't be seeing that particularly snide little prick, this weekend.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think it’s been around since 2004, which means for a lot of players it has been in place since they were playing the game as kids. Even for older players it’s been in place for more of their careers than it hasn’t, for example Bruno was 24 when it came in.

Genuinely having trouble imagining Bruno was ever 24. Some part of my brain is convinced he came to us as an age defying footballing wizard.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Genuinely having trouble imagining Bruno was ever 24. Some part of my brain is convinced he came to us as an age defying footballing wizard.

d964300c9e716640f8b4aa1de036a784.jpg

Here he is at an even younger age before his hair relocated to his chin.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Like the Poppy stuff, this is a non-story that has been blown out of proportion but he probably did the right thing. As I saw written by some on Twitter, if you're going to have a law where you get booked for taking your top off, where do you draw the line that it is acceptable as a one off?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here