Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To card or not to card?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Gray knew the cost of taking off his shirt would be a yellow card and he was rightly booked. It's a rule, not a guideline based on circumstances.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
simple rule so have to book im afraid. cant have the referee judging if a slogan is ok or not, origin of the rule was to stop people taking off their shirts to show political messages.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Bale had RIP Gary Speed on his boots a few years ago and took it off when he scored.
Probably before the rule was brought in or the ref took a blind eye. The rule was brought in by FIFA when players were getting paid by sponsors for the messages after scoring Freddy Lungberg being then one that forced the decision.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
On Match of the Day you could see Lee Probert grimace when Gray took his shirt off thinking, "Oh, I wish he hadn't done that, I'm going to have to book him and then there will be a Twitter shitstorm"

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If the yellow card hadn't come out no doubt the ref would have been benched for next week or allocated a League 1 game.
Leicester could of course taken a leaf out of Brightons book and had a shirt with the chairman's name on to hold up by their bench or something similar.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
If the yellow card hadn't come out no doubt the ref would have been benched for next week or allocated a League 1 game.
Leicester could of course taken a leaf out of Brightons book and had a shirt with the chairman's name on to hold up by their bench or something similar.

That's what I thought, would have saved all the idiots like Big Nose Thompson on Soccer Saturday spouting off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought this thread, given the OP, would be about the inappropriate use of the 'verb': to card. Like the inappropriate use, by 'competitors' of minor olympic sports like synchronized swimming, 'to medal'. :wozza::lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How long has it been a yellow card offence? It feels like forever, I am certain there are players in the premier league for whom this rule has been in place their entire professional careers. I wouldn't be surprised if for one or two of the youngest players it's been their entire lives. As silly a rule as it is, it's not new. There aren't really any excuses.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I agree it had to be a card for consistency sake otherwise it means the refs will be judging if the message is deserving of a card or not.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Imagine if Probert HADN’T have booked him, then two minutes later Gray commits another obvious yellow card offence. Gray would have incorrectly been allowed to stay on the field despite having committed two yellow card offences.

A ref’s job is to employ the rules, not show sentiment.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How long has it been a yellow card offence? It feels like forever, I am certain there are players in the premier league for whom this rule has been in place their entire professional careers. I wouldn't be surprised if for one or two of the youngest players it's been their entire lives. As silly a rule as it is, it's not new. There aren't really any excuses.

I think it’s been around since 2004, which means for a lot of players it has been in place since they were playing the game as kids. Even for older players it’s been in place for more of their careers than it hasn’t, for example Bruno was 24 when it came in.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I thought the rule was introduced to prevent a player's torso being exposed. Didn't realise it applies even if you have an undershirt on beneath your top.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Imagine if Probert HADN’T have booked him, then two minutes later Gray commits another obvious yellow card offence. Gray would have incorrectly been allowed to stay on the field despite having committed two yellow card offences.

A ref’s job is to employ the rules, not show sentiment.

I wonder what he would have done if he had already been booked......

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If he had another proper regulation shirt under his T shirt then took off the T shirt he couldn't have been booked

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here