Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Remembrance a week early in the Prem

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We had lunch in a pub restaurant in Pett village today. There were around 60 people in and out over the period. All quite middle of the road. Only two (a couple in their 60s) had a poppy on. We saw them later on Pett Level - and the poppies were no longer on display.

Has East Sussex become a viper's nest of IRA infiltrators? Or is it simply......too soon???

:shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is a legitimate point. I know that some people can't get enough of remembrance and would wear their poppy all year round given half the chance, for others it is a poignant issue, and not something they particularly want to run on for days or weeks. My dad served in the war, saw it all, and ten minutes or so of solemnity on the telly, including the last post, was plenty enough for him. The modern day two weeks of every bugger on the telly (and radio) wearing a prop poppy pinned on by the make-up girl would have had him worked up into one of his legendary rants. And for the record, I am not a supporter of the IRA.

Difficult answer though. Do you cater for those like your dad who know that a short period of remembrance is suitable or those that prefer a bit longer, neither right, neither wrong. Possible one reason for having it a bit longer is that it might help raise more money for the British Legion.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We had lunch in a pub restaurant in Pett village today. There were around 60 people in and out over the period. All quite middle of the road. Only two (a couple in their 60s) had a poppy on. We saw them later on Pett Level - and the poppies were no longer on display.

Has East Sussex become a viper's nest of IRA infiltrators? Or is it simply......too soon???

:shrug:

Just a thought, maybe the diners you saw without poppy had them pinned to a coat or jacket.
Unless you are commenting on seeing everybody coming or leaving the restaurant.
I have a pin badge poppy on my coat , but if I was sitting eating a meal in a restaurant or pub my coat would be on the back of a chair, the badge wouldn’t be on show.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just a thought, maybe the diners you saw without poppy had them pinned to a coat or jacket.
Unless you are commenting on seeing everybody coming or leaving the restaurant.
I have a pin badge poppy on my coat , but if I was sitting eating a meal in a restaurant or pub my coat would be on the back of a chair, the badge wouldn’t be on show.

Good suggestion, but half the diners (around 30) were still wearing their coats when I saw them....and I thought the idea was to proudly display the item, not flash it discretly, or even hide it.

Another possibility is that I went temporarily red-green colour blind.

But my money is on 'they were not wearing one'.

However, I accept that we shall never know....perhaps they were all wearing poppies after all....or perhaps they were all descendants of the last remaining members of a Nazi fifth column, still waiting to avenge the fatherland. It's a mystery.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Good suggestion, but half the diners (around 30) were still wearing their coats when I saw them....and I thought the idea was to proudly display the item, not flash it discretly, or even hide it.

Another possibility is that I went temporarily red-green colour blind.

But my money is on 'they were not wearing one'.

However, I accept that we shall never know....perhaps they were all wearing poppies after all....or perhaps they were all descendants of the last remaining members of a Nazi fifth column, still waiting to avenge the fatherland. It's a mystery.

OK I'll raise to the bait, wore mine last week, don't need to buy anymore but have contributed twice to Poppy Appeal people since. I loathe Virtue Signalling and I don't 'proudly display' I just wear it in memory of deceased veterans in my family as a 'thank you'.

In terms of people wearing them probably a third of todays Church congregation were. We must just be far better people over here in West, West Sussex. :bigwave:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Did Celtic fc wearing poppies on their jersey yesterday. Genuine question, as I know there has been controversy with this issue in the past?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Difficult answer though. Do you cater for those like your dad who know that a short period of remembrance is suitable or those that prefer a bit longer, neither right, neither wrong. Possible one reason for having it a bit longer is that it might help raise more money for the British Legion.

IMG_5544.jpg

Looks from the volunteer ID like there are enforced limitations on poppy selling dates.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK I'll raise to the bait, wore mine last week, don't need to buy anymore but have contributed twice to Poppy Appeal people since. I loathe Virtue Signalling and I don't 'proudly display' I just wear it in memory of deceased veterans in my family as a 'thank you'.

In terms of people wearing them probably a third of todays Church congregation were. We must just be far better people over here in West, West Sussex. :bigwave:

:bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did Celtic fc wearing poppies on their jersey yesterday. Genuine question, as I know there has been controversy with this issue in the past?

Chelsea didn't today......and the owner (etc etc). 'Whether or not poppied' evidently signifies nothing.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Chelsea didn't today......and the owner (etc etc). 'Whether or not poppied' evidently signifies nothing.

Neither did Arsenal, Liverpool, Palace or Spurs apparently - and Matic and Callum Wilson didn't wear one while the rest of the Utd and Bournemouth teams did - yet James McClean is the one who get the abuse.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Neither did Arsenal, Liverpool, Palace or Spurs apparently - and Matic and Callum Wilson didn't wear one while the rest of the Utd and Bournemouth teams did - yet James McClean is the one who get the abuse.

Palace, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all at home next Sunday so see what they do then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here