Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Hughton Out" on Radio 5 Live

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I know you've backtracked now, but are you including Solly March as one of your two?
[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] is the man for this detail, but wasn't Solly in Palace's academy until 13ish and then with Lewes until we picked him up.

As such, did Solly really "come through our set up"?
It moot, the point was that under CH there has been little or no upward movement of developed players from the ranks, even in meaningless games.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It moot, the point was that under CH there has been little or no upward movement of developed players from the ranks, even in meaningless games.

Probably because under CH we've had arguably our best squads in our history.

I don't remember too many of our managers competing at the top of the 2nd Division and then in the 1st bringing lots of youth through...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Fans don’t work with the players every day,, fans are always let’s give him a go etc etc armchair managers most on here would get chased down the tunnel like Hypia almost did and did get in Switzerland.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Keyboard warriors / Callers into 606.

There isn't much difference as I'm sure you have learned.

Just to confirm again. Recognised you immediately from Withdrawn and have seen you at many many away.

All the best, onwards and upwards.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Onwards and upwards indeed. Next time you see me at an away game, do say hello. I’ll buy you a Bovril.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know you've backtracked now, but are you including Solly March as one of your two?

[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] is the man for this detail, but wasn't Solly in Palace's academy until 13ish and then with Lewes until we picked him up.

As such, did Solly really "come through our set up"?

He was 17 when he signed scholarship forms, so being pedantic, he was a youth when he joined us.

When did the U23s change from being the U21s?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Probably because under CH we've had arguably our best squads in our history.

I don't remember too many of our managers competing at the top of the 2nd Division and then in the 1st bringing lots of youth through...

When we got to Div 1 in 1979 the youngsters were cast aside

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
When we got to Div 1 in 1979 the youngsters were cast aside
We barely had any youngsters in the team, we barely had a youth setup, the reserves were hardly youngsters in those days.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yeh, we couldn't drop 17 year old Gary Stevens quick enough, could we? I seem to remember 22 year old Lawrenson just about keeping his place for a while too.

sorry I should've been clearer. I meant the youngsters that had been with the club since they were early teens, were taken on when we were in Div 3 and were way out of their depth when we reached Div 1, for example Glenn Geard

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
sorry I should've been clearer. I meant the youngsters that had been with the club since they were early teens, were taken on when we were in Div 3 and were way out of their depth when we reached Div 1, for example Glenn Geard

Fairy nuff - but today both Stevens and Lawrenson would probably have been lent out to a division 3 or 4 club to get some experience.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fairy nuff - but today both Stevens and Lawrenson would probably have been lent out to a division 3 or 4 club to get some experience.

Lawrenson cost £100k, that was a lot of money then. He was also the Preston Player of the Year - he was scarcely an untried youngster.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lawrenson cost £100k, that was a lot of money then. He was also the Preston Player of the Year - he was scarcely an untried youngster.

There's pretty big money being spent on dev. squad players now. All nicely ready for loaning out....................................

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This seemed relevant to this thread as a way of highlighting the manager merry-go-round that other clubs seem to have:

Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 11.28.19.png

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Sadly i now have. And its a random list of young players who are nearly all 20+

Sorry i'd love it and England would love it if "we often saw decent 18 or 19 year olds appearing on the scene with many clubs,"
But in the Prem , its not often and we don't. So calling Hughton out on it is fair but then nearly every other manager is the same.
Sancho.... Alexander-Arnold....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sancho.... Alexander-Arnold....

Sancho doesn't play for an English club last time i looked. Alexander Arnold is 20 now but yes. He's one.
but you didn't argue that it happened , you said "we often saw [it] " and they were 18 or 19.

We don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here