Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Hughton Out" on Radio 5 Live

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Last season we had virtually no injuries this season we have had and still have injuries to key players, differance is we have a better squad this season and as such can grind results out.

Get Gross, Propper, Andone back and up to speed we can start to play more offensive

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In fairness to the caller, it is the only way you'll get on 6-0-6.

I'm sure the shows remit is:-

'appeal to the people who can't cope with the fact that they are actually TalkSpite listening simpletons'.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In fairness to the caller, it is the only way you'll get on 6-0-6.

I'm sure the shows remit is:-

'appeal to the people who can't cope with the fact that they are actually TalkSpite listening simpletons'.

Of course it is and that’s been adequately covered. But his post suggested he knew that and called anyway. Why would you do that unless you were at Timmy levels of attention requirement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Stylistically I think CH is too quick to drop his teams 15-20 yards. I think it puts us under immense pressure and we often lack the pace, particularly without Izzy, to get out, whilst this also has the effect of limiting our own pressing and isolating Murray. What is clear though is that there was a more obvious balance in the Championship. We were solid defensively but we had a stronger group of players relative to that division. The benefit of that is we often didn't push our defensive line back so far, at least until the final moments to see games out. We scored a large percentage of the goals you're talking about in that time when we were one of the dominant sides in that league. But even then, we were often slow to counter and often slowed the pace right down, allowing teams to get back in position - luckily, we had a fair bit of Knockaert and Murray magic to score the goals we needed to in tight games.

Last season, once we got going, was still quite balanced, despite the use of Gross as a number 10 meaning that we had 5 in midfield at times, again isolating Murray in away games in particular. This year however, we seem to have regressed and dropped deeper and deeper. This is inviting teams on us and with our often slow circulation of the ball, it allows better teams than us to easily reconfigure their defences before we've even got into their half. We've been lucky the 3 games previous to Everton, but I imagine that luck can't continue, at least not consistently. Eventually we have to try and attack teams to score a more regular supply of goals and to give our attacking players a chance to actually play to their potential (aside from Murray, who is performing at his absolute maximum to mask the stylistic issues and systemic deficiencies elsewhere). Of course there are risks to doing that, but there are massive risks the way we're playing at the moment by allowing good teams on to us all game every game.

So, for me, I don't enjoy the style we're playing this season and as a result I find the games tense, but without any fun - it simply isn't enjoyable to watch us play football at the moment, even with the recent results. We're not pragmatic anymore - we're defensive. They're two different things.

As to playing to our strengths, how is it playing to Izquierdo's strengths by having him sit on Bong all game, every game to cover him? How is it playing to Murray's strengths isolating him for large portions of games? How is it playing to Bruno's strengths when he's penned in all game? Or Dunk's when he only has Murray to aim at from the back? Or Kayal's when he's not pressing teams high, but he's pressing them 20 yards into our own half because the rest of the team is so deep? How is it playing to Knockaert's strengths when he has to beat 5 men and run 50 yards with the ball just to get near their box when he first receives it? I'm sorry, but this idea that he's playing to the team's strengths is rubbish - he's playing to Duffy and Bong's strengths - that's about it!

There should be no nostalgia about CH's tactics last season.

There were countless threads and posts criticising him for long spells last season, with the same old unrealistic whinging posts.

It was stop start, CH being heavily criticised in those last few months too ... until the Spurs and ManUre games.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Evening everyone, that was me on the radio earlier by the way. I initially called in because they were waffling on about this potential European super league nonsense and I wanted to talk about something that had actually happened. You’ve got to say something outlandish or they won’t put you on.

Anyway, much as I admire Hughton and obviously accept that he has done and continues to do a fantastic job I can’t help but feel frustrated when we opt to pass sideways or backwards when we have the opportunity to attack teams on the break. I’m talking about when we’ve been under pressure in our own box and the ball rebounds or gets cleared, ending up at the feet of Bong (if he doesn’t mis-control it) or Knockaert or March or Bissouma and we don’t just... attack. There’s no danger because all their players are in our half, and we’re bursting into theirs but we always slow it down, look sideways and then the opposition regroup and the opportunity is gone. It happened at Newcastle, at home to Wolves and today at Everton.

So, do I want Hughton to ‘step aside’? Not really. Would I like to see him be a little more positive now that we’ve clearly got a great defensive shape and are very tough to break down? Yes. Am I concerned that if we continue to ignore these opportunities to attack on the break we risk not scoring enough goals to keep us in the division? Maybe. And by the way, if we do get relegated it’s not really the end of the world.

So no, I’m not a Palace fan on a wind up and I’m not a kid and nor am I a recently arrived ‘jcl’. I’ve watched us at all four home grounds and up and down the country in all four divisions. The thing is, having got to the premier league and had a bit of a look I think it’s there for us to have a go at and maybe not just settle for the top 17 if Hughton can just release the reins a little bit now and again.

You sir, can defend yourself with posts on here explaining your position, but we all know you are lieing and back tracking to cover yourself...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Evening everyone, that was me on the radio earlier by the way. I initially called in because they were waffling on about this potential European super league nonsense and I wanted to talk about something that had actually happened. You’ve got to say something outlandish or they won’t put you on.

Anyway, much as I admire Hughton and obviously accept that he has done and continues to do a fantastic job I can’t help but feel frustrated when we opt to pass sideways or backwards when we have the opportunity to attack teams on the break. I’m talking about when we’ve been under pressure in our own box and the ball rebounds or gets cleared, ending up at the feet of Bong (if he doesn’t mis-control it) or Knockaert or March or Bissouma and we don’t just... attack. There’s no danger because all their players are in our half, and we’re bursting into theirs but we always slow it down, look sideways and then the opposition regroup and the opportunity is gone. It happened at Newcastle, at home to Wolves and today at Everton.

So, do I want Hughton to ‘step aside’? Not really. Would I like to see him be a little more positive now that we’ve clearly got a great defensive shape and are very tough to break down? Yes. Am I concerned that if we continue to ignore these opportunities to attack on the break we risk not scoring enough goals to keep us in the division? Maybe. And by the way, if we do get relegated it’s not really the end of the world.

So no, I’m not a Palace fan on a wind up and I’m not a kid and nor am I a recently arrived ‘jcl’. I’ve watched us at all four home grounds and up and down the country in all four divisions. The thing is, having got to the premier league and had a bit of a look I think it’s there for us to have a go at and maybe not just settle for the top 17 if Hughton can just release the reins a little bit now and again.

https://youtu.be/KpN_TOP9hg8

....As for Hughton's style of play I think it is often frustrating. I certainly see us stop our counter attacks and seemingly wait for our opponents to get back into position too much. It was something that happened in the championship, too. It happens too frequently, over too much of his time with us to not point to Hughton on it. He's had time to sort it out, but hasn't. I think it's perfectly valid to complain about it, but don't think it's a reason to get rid of Hughton.

I

Im particularly frustrated about Izzy - i think CH has definitely reined him in. I remember the clever 1-2-1 moves in our last season in the championship - some of the cleverest football i ever witnessed from an albion player - now - (Wolves game i think it was) he makes his runs and instead of shooting he puts the brakes on and exactly as u said, waits and then the opposition get back into the penalty area and Izzy has left it too late..I mean its not like we would have been under pressure if he missed...not scoring from an attacking position when half their player are behind him wont make the move a bad move..

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is that an apology then for calling him a "fan" in your opening post?

Not in the slightest. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but when you ring in a national radio station, make a very left field point, then admit you only said it to "get on the radio", it's open season within limits.

I've never understood the "ten" minutes of fame thing and making yourself instantly recognizable on Facebook.

What exactly was the motivation ? Generate debate in the manager or get on the radio.... I've made my mind up.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Im particularly frustrated about Izzy - i think CH has definitely reined him in. I remember the clever 1-2-1 moves in our last season in the championship - some of the cleverest football i ever witnessed from an albion player - now - (Wolves game i think it was) he makes his runs and instead of shooting he puts the brakes on and exactly as u said, waits and then the opposition get back into the penalty area and Izzy has left it too late..I mean its not like we would have been under pressure if he missed...not scoring from an attacking position when half their player are behind him wont make the move a bad move..

Izzy with us in The Championship?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
No, he’s a lifelong Albion fan, it’s been covered on this thread.
He’s even posted on this thread.

Well if that's the case then my view as another Albion fan is we all have a right to an opinion but it's not an opinion I can agree with for me I think CH is doing a fine job with what he has had available and that this is an improving picture

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here