Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
300th league game today: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...bion-survivor-as-he-makes-300th-career-start/

Nearly half of those for the Albion.

I'm not sure he gets the credit he deserves. He's been a candidate for player of the season in most seasons he has been here. The Argus had an article last season that stresses his importance to us: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/16...man_team_-_but_they_are_better_with_Stephens/.

At the Coventry cup game last year I sat in the West Stand Upper for the first time and that Fifa video game view of the whole pitch highlighted the fact that an awful lot of what we do goes through him as a pivot. We just didn't have the same fluency in the second half without him. I've since occasionally focused on him from my lowly place in the South West corner and it is apparent in most games. He gets some stick from some for not moving the ball quickly enough or making an occasional dodgy pass, but he has moved up the league with us and settled into playing against some of the best midfielders in the world. He's always competitive, he's always combative. The other players seem to look for him and we are always better when he is in the side.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
300th league game today: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...bion-survivor-as-he-makes-300th-career-start/

I'm not sure he gets the credit he deserves. He's been a candidate for player of the season in most seasons he has been here. The Argus had an article last season that stresses his importance to us: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/16...man_team_-_but_they_are_better_with_Stephens/.

At the Coventry cup game last year I sat in the West Stand Upper for the first time and that Fifa video game view of the whole pitch highlighted the fact that an awful lot of what we do goes through him as a pivot. We just didn't have the same fluency in the second half without him. I've since occasionally focused on him from my lowly place in the South West corner and it is apparent in most games. He gets some stick from some for not moving the ball quickly enough or making an occasional dodgy pass, but he has moved up the league with us and settled into playing against some of the best midfielders in the world. He's always competitive, he's always combative. The other players seem to look for him and we are always better when he is in the side.

He gets the credit from the one man that matters. First name on the teamsheet when he's fit. I didn't get it when I first started watching him but I see it now. He plays well, Brighton play well

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
He gets the credit from the one man that matters. First name on the teamsheet when he's fit. I didn't get it when I first started watching him but I see it now. He plays well, Brighton play well

Couldn't agree more!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I'm absolutely positive that he doesn't get the credit he deserves from most fans. He is one of those players. as l have hilighted before on here, who fans only ever seem to miss when he doesn't play.

As you say, so much of our play goes through him, accepting passes from defenders, passing the ball forwards, passing the ball to the side. He is the glue that sticks the team togethert all togethere. One of the first names on the teamsheet l would think. If I do have a criticism it is his lack of goals, but l that of course, applies to pretty much eveyone whose name isn't Glenn Murray.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Thanks I've always rated him, certainly more than the bongbashers around me.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
A definite asset, I too believe he should move the ball quicker. But and there is a but, our midfield is not as effective without him. Pleased he plays for us rather than against.
Kayal is his perfect foil.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

i sit in row k near the middle of WSU and its a brilliant place to see how the whole game is being played. I think people's seating does alter your perspective of individual players.....

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Love Stephens and Kayal together. Been one of the highlights of the season so far.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Unsung hero.

Always the most likely player on the pitch to get sent off though!

And that's exactly as it should be from a centre mid.

Been brilliant for us. One of my favourite players.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He's a good passer, I think he just sometimes loses concentration and misplaces the odd simple one. Maybe he just needs a bit of a kick up the arse every so often to keep him sharp?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I'm amazed that people still criticise Dale Stephens. Quality player and one of our best ever footballers.

Lol amazes me what people see in him even warren said he was poor today I’ll take an ex pro opinion any day woeful today along with March bong Bruno not good enough for this league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
He has the occasional stinker .... sadly I thought today was one especially after he was grilling everybody else when he was as bad if not worse than them.

Great player when he is on form but he seams to be one of many lacking their best form right now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here