Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Bill Of Rights for the homeless in Brighton!!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
No one knows what the future brings, it may be bad for a while it may be good for a while, who knows. They can speculate all they want.

I guessing you voted remain.

I am such a positive person that I just cant see doom and gloom until it is here.

I always drink from a glass half full.

I could tell that you were such a positive and optimistic person by all of your positive and optimistic posts in this thread.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
When a former leader and Prime Minister, a Tory, is spelling things out as explicitly as this, when countless financial experts and economists are being so pessimistic, it's not simply hypothetical. These are experts warning of the very likely reality for young people.
And when young people exist in this environment, when older people seem so utterly dislocated from this reality, so lacking in care for others, the environment, the people of the world, even the future of their own bloody relatives, isn't it easy to see why they're so disillusioned and so utterly ****ed off with their elders?

Well actually...until those those things actually happen....it is all hypothetical!
Do you need a doctor for that bleeding heart and total lack of a back bone....it's laughable how utterly soft and pathetic 'young people' have become!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There isn't enough housing now to cope with the housing problem the City already has....we've pretty much run out of space to build any new housing......and council tax has disgracefully been increased by maximum amount permitted at every possible occasion and there's still not enough money!
So please explain how this scheme will be able to ensure any homeless person who turns up to the City will have their 'rights' exercised...as per the Bill.... to be housed?

It's a publicity stunt mate. Calm down.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm not blaming anyone. My parents, and everyone else, have their right to their views and opinions and to express those views and opinions at the ballot.

However, if Brexit turns out to be a shitshow that negatively affects my childrens generation then I shall happily say to them: "Nan and Granddad voted for this. Maybe ask them for a bit more money in your Christmas cards this year".

And remember if it isn’t a shower of shit to thank them yeah, it works both ways!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I am 55.

Interested in your post until the crap in the last sentence.

All these young people today blaming the older generation for the state of their country FFS, drives me mad.

All they do is winge wine and moan about how bad the country will be post Brexit, what !!!!! have they a crystal ball can they see the future, how the crap do they know what the country will be like, they cant, so stop f*cking blaming everyone else and do what the rest of us are doing wait and see.

Makes my blood boil.
They think they're owed everything these types but they contribute very little.Most of us have lived through big recessions unlike these types who will run and cry at any kind of change in society that they don't like.
They also will blame brexit even though all these issues are happening while in the EU and they need to realise that if you have 5/7 million people move here over 10+ years then you will get a lot of problems and increases like homelessness etc.
Society has changed and we need to accept that the modern world will bring a lot of challenges that we may not like.
It's a weak society and sadly a lot of brain dead idiots !!
Can you imagine this country run by these types....will collapse eventually!!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Obviously don't know your age, but I can tell you one thing, the Country was 100 times safer than it is today, when I was younger.

You cant even look at someone now in fear that they might stab you, what sort of place is that to live.

Bring back Action man I say. And toy soldiers.

When Bin men were MEN !!!:D

Bloody snowflakes stabbing everyone.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
I'm not blaming anyone. My parents, and everyone else, have their right to their views and opinions and to express those views and opinions at the ballot.

However, if Brexit turns out to be a shitshow that negatively affects my childrens generation then I shall happily say to them: "Nan and Granddad voted for this. Maybe ask them for a bit more money in your Christmas cards this year".

This Nan and Grandad didn't vote for it, and we know plenty of others who didn't!

But back to the original question, the universal declaration of human rights includes the right to shelter.

And just because someone doesn't have shelter, should they forfeit the right to vote etc?

And on the begging question, I know there is a school of thought whereby those who beg are probably not homeless, but that such things are sometimes/often organised, with set pitches and Rota and a take off for the organisers. The real homeless are far less likely to do so.

And at a time when there are reports from several places that government policies (universal credit for example) are forcing people in to homelessness, maybe they deserve all the help they can get.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
They think they're owed everything these types but they contribute very little.Most of us have lived through big recessions unlike these types who will run and cry at any kind of change in society that they don't like.
They also will blame brexit even though all these issues are happening while in the EU and they need to realise that if you have 5/7 million people move here over 10+ years then you will get a lot of problems and increases like homelessness etc.
Society has changed and we need to accept that the modern world will bring a lot of challenges that we may not like.

I never like it when people use expressions like "these types" - tarring everybody with the same brush, assuming everybody in a particular loose group thinks exactly the same way.
I was recently in a conversation where a "these people" was about Muslims and was of the "they're all terrorists and will rape your babies" type. Absolute garbage.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

There was a global recession 10 years ago.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
This is have to agree with, I am such a positive person that I just cant see doom and gloom until it is here.

I always drink from a glass half full. Life is to short to be another way.

That's great you're so optimistic, but it also shows you're not very well equipped to vote on matters affecting the country's future; blind faith in the UK govt's ability to "carve our future", as you put it, is not a strategy I agree with.

Whether it's the tories or Labour in charge, they're capable of getting so much wrong. Far better to be kept in check by friends in Europe.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Most of the homeless are wasters. The majority could get jobs if they wanted them. There are plenty of low paid jobs available, but instead they prefer to sit on their arses and beg money from other people. If they made some effort to work I would maybe have some sympathy, but from what I've seen the majority have no intention of ever lifting a finger to do anything except ask other people for money. And meanwhile they make our city look like a rubbish dump.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Well actually...until those those things actually happen....it is all hypothetical!
Do you need a doctor for that bleeding heart and total lack of a back bone....it's laughable how utterly soft and pathetic 'young people' have become!

Are these the same young people who were out in Afghanistan and Iraq fighting a war against a determined and dangerous enemy? Next time I see a young ex- squaddie, with missing limbs remind me to call him “ soft and pathetic “

FFS!!

Last edited:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

And the truth will set you free

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
That's great you're so optimistic, but it also shows you're not very well equipped to vote on matters affecting the country's future; blind faith in the UK govt's ability to "carve our future", as you put it, is not a strategy I agree with.

Whether it's the tories or Labour in charge, they're capable of getting so much wrong. Far better to be kept in check by friends in Europe.

I am very well equipped to vote on the Country's future.

Whoever was in power I would of voted to leave, that's not blind optimism, its because I have lived through the last 40 or so years of being hamstrung by Europe.

Europe and their rules are bullies.

Good riddance to the lot of them for me.

In 10 years time, I wonder how many of the people shouting from the roof tops now that the elders ruined their country, (whilst still living in the country the elders ruined) are still here. If the elders ruined your country so much then do one to a country that you like living in. Stop f*cking moaning about the country owes you this, owes you that. No one owes you NOTHING !!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Veteran Support UK say a conservative estimate of those sleeping rough 13,000 are ex- service personnel suffering from PTSD, and the drug and drink problems that are often a consequence of the condition.

Walk a mile in their shoes before you judge, your ire would be better spent on the political lick spittles who allow this state of affairs to continue.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Whoever was in power I would of voted to leave, that's not blind optimism, its because I have lived through the last 40 or so years of being hamstrung by Europe.

In 10 years time, I wonder how many of the people shouting from the roof tops now that the elders ruined their country, (whilst still living in the country the elders ruined) are still here. If the elders ruined your country so much then do one to a country that you like living in. Stop f*cking moaning about the country owes you this, owes you that. No one owes you NOTHING !!!

Those of us that have 'done one' will still be affected by Brexit.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Most of the homeless are wasters. The majority could get jobs if they wanted them. There are plenty of low paid jobs available, but instead they prefer to sit on their arses and beg money from other people. If they made some effort to work I would maybe have some sympathy, but from what I've seen the majority have no intention of ever lifting a finger to do anything except ask other people for money. And meanwhile they make our city look like a rubbish dump.

:fishing:

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012

People's ability to go and live elsewhere will be somewhat limited, it will be a lot more difficult. That's part of the problem

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
Veteran Support UK say a conservative estimate of those sleeping rough 13,000 are ex- service personnel suffering from PTSD, and the drug and drink problems that are often a consequence of the condition.

Walk a mile in their shoes before you judge, your ire would be better spent on the political lick spittles who allow this state of affairs to continue.

I heard a Borough Councillor locally - not in the Borough of Eastleigh, where I live, but a neighbouring Borough - say that you don't need to be homeless in xxxxxxx, it's a lifestyle choice.

That is absolute rowlocks, and the majority of people in the meeting told him so in no uncertain terms.

And I've already posted elsewhere that people who are begging are quite possibly, or even probably, not homeless. Those who are genuinely homeless are quite possibly too proud, nervous or frightened to beg.

And why are people homeless. You mention ex-service personnel, mental health issues etc. Young kids get thrown out of the family home for no good reason sometimes. People lose jobs and can't keep up the mortgage. People get migrated to Universal Credit, lower payments, can't afford their rent any more and get evicted.

Many people are very ignorant about these issues..... and I don't mean ignorant as an insult, but purely in its meaning of "not knowing".

But it's still also true that "There is none so blind as he (or she) who will not see". It should be more "There but for the Grace of God go I."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here