Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What are you eating on World Vegan Day?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My wife is vegan (making me a “part time vegan”) so I’m a bit clued up on this kinda stuff. As a general rule we avoid most of the meat substitutes as, with a few exceptions they’re a bit rank

We have an extremely healthy vegan diet without needing “fake chicken” and the like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole concept is weird. A vegan doesn't want to eat meat so I don't understand why they'd eat something pretending to be meat.

It's like getting served a pork sausage and being told it's a "carnivore cucumber".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I might be vegan, after all

Dq6aOw-XgAEJift.jpg

Oct 25, 2003
And to be honest I’ve found that people are far more unpleasant to vegans than vice versa. The days of vegans only being white guys with dreadlocks called “Storm” (real name: Ian) who stage protests outside abattoirs are long gone- it’s a ridiculously quick growing section of Society and I think more people are doing it more for environmental reasons than animal welfare these days and don’t feel the need to preach or aggressively chastise those who eat meat

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The whole concept is weird. A vegan doesn't want to eat meat so I don't understand why they'd eat something pretending to be meat.

It's not really - I don't have meat because I don't believe animals need to be killed in order for me to eat. I have no problem with meaty textures - as such Quorn is used a lot in my house.

And before anyone asks, my kids both eat meat and fish, and will continue to do so unless they tell me they don't want to.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Not sure your logic makes sense, tbh.

What if somebody enjoys the taste and flavor of chicken (for example) but on moral / ethical grounds decide they don't want to eat animal products? Surely that would be 100% logical for them to want to try a substitute?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I had two beefburgers, 4 poached eggs, beans and 8 hashbrowns for brunch. Vegans are weird.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was at Veg Fest the Brighton Centre last year. It was rather good and some of the food was nice apart from the fake chicken type things and the revolting "cheese". The people were odd with one guy setting himself up as a kind of Messiah figure with people queueing up to touch him and hear his wisdom. Others brought stricken children along and shoved them in front of him looking for vegan cures for their ailments. poor little ********. You can tell by the look on their faces they have been, literally, wheeled along to these fests week in week out. Give them their meds and leave them alone.

Strangely I saw a lot of council estate types there. That surprised me.

Oct 25, 2003
It's not really - I don't have meat because I don't believe animals need to be killed in order for me to eat. I have no problem with meaty textures - as such Quorn is used a lot in my house.

And before anyone asks, my kids both eat meat and fish, and will continue to do so unless they tell me they don't want to.

Interesting that you mention Quorn. We find them infuriating as hardly any of their products are vegan (a lot of them contain eggs or dairy). I imagine this will change as time goes on.

Their southern fried chicken burgers are, in fairness, pretty good

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw an article the other day for a restaurant advertising "vegan chicken wings". I'm sure they're very nice, but they're not f***ing chicken wings are they?

They might have been wings made from vegan chickens?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting that you mention Quorn. We find them infuriating as hardly any of their products are vegan (a lot of them contain eggs or dairy). I imagine this will change as time goes on.

Their southern fried chicken burgers are, in fairness, pretty good

I've certainly noticed a fair few vegan Quorn products appearing in the Tesco frozen section alongside the regular stuff. I think there are a few products in the Linda McCartney line too now, although that's not a range I've ever been a big fan of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From my personal experience the vast majority of vegetarians I know do it for health and/or environmental reasons. The best thing about this approach is it heads of that tiresome “but you’re wearing leather shoes” quip.

Personally, I eat meat but believe the whole animal should be eaten so I’m into offal restaurants. I always consider the provenance and welfare of the meat. I am also completely happy going to vege restaurants/cafes and one of my favourite dishes is vege.

Oh, and to answer the question....left over chilli concarne from yesterday.

Oct 25, 2003
Fortunately, Brighton is probably the best city in the UK to be be vegan. Loads of places to eat out and the vast majority of restaurants are accommodating, plenty of shops etc

It must be a ****ing nightmare if you live anywhere else to be honest

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i live in the land vegetables forgot.

I remember going into a veggie restaurant in Prague and discovered that the soup had bits of bacon in it. When we protested about it, we were told there was only a little bit and 90% of it was vegetable. Prague has changed a bit since then (this was 26 years ago) but by much

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here