Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Megaspoons!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The joke is more about Stoke than Wetherspoons. I use Wetherspoons myself, in fact I have the app on my phone which was utilised just last Sunday. The beer is great, the food not so. The only decent food on the menu is the cooked breakfast. The sausage and mash I had a few weeks back was appalling. I was hungover yet it still tasted and looked horrible.

I finally despair of apps. Is that the one for people who can't be bothered to go to the bar ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nowt wrong with a Spoons. I've always taken to a pint of Efes in there (bottled), I think its £2.95 or something stupid. Lovely stuff.

Shame they don't have Sky, but other than that, and the vague smell of cabbage, whats not to like ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I finally despair of apps. Is that the one for people who can't be bothered to go to the bar ?

Only valid use I can think of for that app is if you're at the airport Spoons by yourself. You buy a beer and sit at a table. You fancy something to eat. You look at the menu and decide what you want. You can now either leave your stuff or leave your table. If you leave your stuff it could be robbed. If you leave your table it could be occupied by somebody else by the time you get back to it. Makes sense to stay put, place your order and have your food come to you. So far so good. But you have to pre-load your card details into their app. Which is a no-no and a hack waiting to happen. When they can bring your food AND a card-reader to your table then I'm in.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Never found a Spoons that I liked. Tried about 4 and they are all pretty poor.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Who will work there though? It’s too much like hard work for the locals. And they’ve probably run all the foreigners out of town...if there were any stupid enough to live there in the first place which I doubt.

Self service

I don't mind a spoons but it's not my first choice. Had breakfast in the one in Littlhampton the other week , which set us up nicely for the walk to Arundel. Some are okay places, some are holes. But a full brekkie with refillable tea for a fiver is not to be sniffed at.
The worst one I have been in is the one in Kingston Upon Thames. Horrid locale, stinks, full of tossers.
In fact the one night we attempted to have a night out in Kingston I was very disappointed with the lack of good pubs. Considering it's a fairly nice, historic place I would have thought it would have great pubs. Not one pub was nice.

We are spoiled in Shoreham really. Loads of nice pubs at resonable prices. If I want a convenient, quick bite and a cheap pint the Waterside is okay. Pint of IPA for 2.49. It's a Greene King and the landladies they get in there are some of the most socially inept, incompetent haglets I have ever encountered in a any pub but cheap and cheerful. Not my first choice of pub but I live very close by so it does sometimes and it's been an okay stand in while I'm waiting for The Buck to re-open.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There are some real snobs on here as Wetherspoons cater drink wise for all ages, races and wealth level.

Absolutely correct......we use the one in Burgess Hill now and again. Beer is always OK and cheaper than anywhere else in town. Food is a bit functional, but very good value for what it is - the deals are particularly good. Was full of Wolves fans on Saturday morning though

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I work in Birmingham a fair bit but I have a colleague who's up there four days a week. There's a massive Spoons between New St and Snow Hill called The Square Peg and this bloke has made it his local because he can drink and stiill make a bit on his per diem allowance. He's met all the other locals now and introduces us round on the odd nights we're up there.

On the outside it's a horrendous place, massive, garish, done out like a bingo hall and surrounded by beggars and addicts. Inside it's warm, cheap, great range of beers and the lads he's met are great fun, ranging from a bloke on benefits who only goes out on a Tuesdays to a few who work near there in offices or restaurants. It's one of the few places that still has the social vibe of a local and we take the pee out of each other rather than staring at our phones all night.

Staff are all British or Irish, mostly students from Birmingham Uni who are savvy enough to join in with the banter when appropriate.

It's an "end of the night" boozer for us. There's loads of good craft and real ale places near by like OCs, The Wolf Bar, Indian Brewery and the The Welly but we always finish up there after dinner and a pint elsewhere.

I'm genuinely pleased there's room for both kinds of boozers in cities and in my life.

There was this weird bloke in there the other night though, munching a huge SAUSAGE and talking to his SAUCE and an enormous FATTY.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had Eggs Benedict for breakfast in a very nice Spoons out in Devon a couple of months ago. It was about £4, and I am happy to report that it was absolutely MAGNIFICENT. As good an E B as I can remember having, which considering I got the taste for them on holiday in the States, takes some doing.

£4. Ridiculous.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm no snob. I've even defended Burger king and Greggs on here ffs and have a beer fridge full of lager without a Bishops Bellend or Old Mans tadger real ale in sight. Spoons though, is one step too far even for me and is somewhere I avoid due to the crap beer, crap beer and meths on tap. It doesn't even have pool tables to redeem it.

That said, I do have time for the square peg mentioned by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] having been pleasured by a girl who worked in Maccies in the disabled toilet back in the 90s. I think it was the day we beat Spain on Pens in Euro 96. I had no such luck against Columbia, where the wife told me I was drunk and to go to sleep. That kids, is how rarely we win on Pens.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm no snob. I've even defended Burger king and Greggs on here ffs and have a beer fridge full of lager without a Bishops Bellend or Old Mans tadger real ale in sight. Spoons though, is one step too far even for me and is somewhere I avoid due to the crap beer, crap beer and meths on tap. It doesn't even have pool tables to redeem it.

That said, I do have time for the square peg mentioned by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] having been pleasured by a girl who worked in Maccies in the disabled toilet back in the 90s. I think it was the day we beat Spain on Pens in Euro 96. I had no such luck against Columbia, where the wife told me I was drunk and to go to sleep. That kids, is how rarely we win on Pens.

If she worked in the disabled toilet I hope she washed her hand first :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The only Wetherspoons I use are at Gatwick and Heathrow. The Gatwick one is always super busy with long queues so I park my arse and order from my app. Saves a lot of time for me and it’s one less person in the queue for others. In general, I try and eliminate as much time spent queuing as possible; queuing is such a waste of time. I don’t think this makes me lazy, which is what you seem to be implying; I prefer to spend my time doing other more interesting stuff.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I work in Birmingham a fair bit but I have a colleague who's up there four days a week. There's a massive Spoons between New St and Snow Hill called The Square Peg and this bloke has made it his local because he can drink and stiill make a bit on his per diem allowance. He's met all the other locals now and introduces us round on the odd nights we're up there.

On the outside it's a horrendous place, massive, garish, done out like a bingo hall and surrounded by beggars and addicts. Inside it's warm, cheap, great range of beers and the lads he's met are great fun, ranging from a bloke on benefits who only goes out on a Tuesdays to a few who work near there in offices or restaurants. It's one of the few places that still has the social vibe of a local and we take the pee out of each other rather than staring at our phones all night.

Staff are all British or Irish, mostly students from Birmingham Uni who are savvy enough to join in with the banter when appropriate.

It's an "end of the night" boozer for us. There's loads of good craft and real ale places near by like OCs, The Wolf Bar, Indian Brewery and the The Welly but we always finish up there after dinner and a pint elsewhere.

I'm genuinely pleased there's room for both kinds of boozers in cities and in my life.

There was this weird bloke in there the other night though, munching a huge SAUSAGE and talking to his SAUCE and an enormous FATTY.

That's the other good thing about Spoons - the enormous MIRRORS they have on the walls. :D

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've gone off Spoons.
Went in to Crowborough Cross. Firstly asked nicely if they could remove the 'sparkler' on the end of the tap when pouring my ale. They refused. Not just a no but a massive NO and said they weren't allowed to. Then, at 8:45 security came round and kicked out my Daughter as she had no ID. She wasn't drinking and she was 20 yo. We'd spent well with drinks and food for 5 adults but they don't care. I pointed out that I had no ID either. So Daughter had to go. She went and got the car and drove right up to the door, shouted at the security being old enough to drive and we all jumped in the car and drove off. Never been back since.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Interesting fact about wetherspoons, each location has its own design of carpet !

I was bought the 'Spoons carpet' book as a secret santa present by a spoons regular who sat behind me and listened to me slag it off day in day out. It's a great shitter read

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've gone off Spoons.
Went in to Crowborough Cross. Firstly asked nicely if they could remove the 'sparkler' on the end of the tap when pouring my ale. They refused. Not just a no but a massive NO and said they weren't allowed to. Then, at 8:45 security came round and kicked out my Daughter as she had no ID. She wasn't drinking and she was 20 yo. We'd spent well with drinks and food for 5 adults but they don't care. I pointed out that I had no ID either. So Daughter had to go. She went and got the car and drove right up to the door, shouted at the security being old enough to drive and we all jumped in the car and drove off. Never been back since.

The bloke who owns ‘spoons is a ****. I guess you’re experience is what they call “top down culture”

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Tho I rarely agree with you on anything at all BG, I agree with you on this one. A can of craft beer is a can of craft beer. Main objection seems to be that in Spoons it costs half of what it costs in a bar that's all beards and tattoos. Don't really get the sneering. It's the beer equivalent of car owners sneering at bus users.

They sell Punk IPA reasonably cheaply and that’s it. Their cask beers generally taste like sh.it. Mind you, granted people get ripped off in these trendy craft beer bars.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here