Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Universities on the brink?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I know it's a different subject but Miss W wants to study some sort of business. Sussex wants AAB, Brighton only wants CCC - quite a difference.

But as [MENTION=3552]Moshe Gariani[/MENTION] noted Brighton has it's pluses and minuses and UoS have invested, a little controversially, a huge amount of money into the Business School.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Supply and demand, too many universities chucking out useless degrees that have no relevance in getting the students a job.

Polytechnics should’ve stayed as Polytechnics rather than pretending to be Universities.

Yep to both.

Bath uni, Entry requirements for Maths -

1981 - C,D,D
2018 - A*, A, A. “We strongly prefer that a full A level is taken in Further Maths as well as Maths.”

We, as a society, have spent a generation kidding our children that they are much, much smarter than they actually are, and that their job prospects are secure.

Both are total bullshit. It makes me so angry.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I doubt it's Sussex. I went there with Miss W the other week for their open day and they are investing millions in student accomodation and have invested millions in their business school. It would be a very foolish financial officer to invest that kind of money if the Uni was struggling.

I’m pleased that you are finally getting educated. It’s a shame this didn’t happen before the referendum, but hey, it’s never too late to learn. Good luck!

:smile:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Anyone got a theory about which "two on the south coast" are "on the brink of bankruptcy"...?

Obviously extremely serious as things are only going to get worse for such institutions - a percentage at the bottom of the pile are certain to go to the wall during the next few years. The old saying about not having to be faster than the lion just faster than the slowest gazelle will be comfort to many...

I think that saying will be relevant to many Albion fans too, we don't have to be faster than Manchester City, just faster than at least three other other clubs to survive.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I know that changes in the NHS have had an impact. They've removed the bursary for Nursing students, so where before the NHS paid fees for people training to be Nurses, they now have to pay for themselves, which has seen a drop in nursing students. But the NHS have also now introduced funding to train 'Nursing Associates' and 'Assistant Practitioners' which has seen those course double and triple in popularity.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
On the grapevine, I believe one of the South Coast Uni's against the wall is University College Chichester. This is only hearsay though from a colleague who knows someone who used to work there.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I have no inside knowledge but I often wonder about Northbrook University. It wasn't so long ago that it was Worthing CFE.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
On the grapevine, I believe one of the South Coast Uni's against the wall is University College Chichester. This is only hearsay though from a colleague who knows someone who used to work there.
I find that extremely hard to believe. One of my friends is a Prof. there and he has not mentioned anything (and he normally would do).

Last month Prince Harry opened their new £35m Engineering and Digital Technology Park...

Not saying it is impossible but seems very unlikely.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have no inside knowledge but I often wonder about Northbrook University. It wasn't so long ago that it was Worthing CFE.

Northbrook merged with Brighton City College to become Brighton Met. Mrs Gwylan works there and there's been an almighty kerfuffle bedding the new college in

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Far, far too many kids pushed towards University when they really shouldn't have been, many to take Degrees which are proving fairly useless and of no interest to Employers.

Governments (of both colours) are to blame - Major for scrapping Polys and converting them into Unis, and the Blair Govt. for setting a 50% target of kids going to Uni.(In my day it was nearer to 5%)

The old Polys are (by and large) second class Universities, where kids are racking up huge debt to live away from home and take degrees when the majority of them should have either gone out to work, or learnt a trade/gone to a vocational institution.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
CCC students ?? should they be studying business or going out to work ?

I agree with you but the problem being that many many employers have been sucked into the idiotic Labour policy of 'everyone should go to university' - not just the academic elite. The number of jobs that require a degree now is ridiculous - I've been turned down flat for interview because I don't have a degree despite having over 25 years experience in my industry. When I hire I actively ignore if candidates have a degree or not - I really don't think relevent most of the time. I'd always hire experience over a degree.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
https://inews.co.uk/news/education/university-bankruptcy-reliant-on-loans/

The i is suggesting that three British universities are on the brink of bankruptcy including "two on the south coast". I assume neither is one of the two venerable institutions based in Brighton, but maybe NSC has heard differently? I wouldn't like to think that Sussex is going under now that the Albion aren't renting the sports pavilion any longer ...

Universities are a business now. They absolutely depend on foreign students coming to study there. Brexit has kept them from committing to a 3/4 year course as they don't know if they will be allowed to complete it. Combined with the bad will the Europeans have towards us atm, it's very likely quite a few will close down.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
Southampton Solent seems like a realistic guess at one.

I wouldn't have thought so. They seem to be expanding and building all over the place.

But then that could be why...…..

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
Universities are a business now. They absolutely depend on foreign students coming to study there. Brexit has kept them from committing to a 3/4 year course as they don't know if they will be allowed to complete it. Combined with the bad will the Europeans have towards us atm, it's very likely quite a few will close down.

That's right! Blame it all on BREXIT!...…….

……. Which must be significant, particularly given the uncertainty over Research funding etc at the moment and the ability (or otherwise) of our universities to carry on in European Research Programmes.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I may be wrong but I thought the real money is made by a uni from students outside of the Eu? The numbers of these aren't likely to be affected by Brexit as the rules won't change for them

Potentially shutting down your business to the world's biggest trading block will not do a business any good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here