Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Universities on the brink?

0 Not allowed!
    https://inews.co.uk/news/education/u...iant-on-loans/

The i is suggesting that three British universities are on the brink of bankruptcy including "two on the south coast". I assume neither is one of the two venerable institutions based in Brighton, but maybe NSC has heard differently? I wouldn't like to think that Sussex is going under now that the Albion aren't renting the sports pavilion any longer ...
    England are still the only team to have won the World Cup wearing red shirts.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      https://inews.co.uk/news/education/u...iant-on-loans/

The i is suggesting that three British universities are on the brink of bankruptcy including "two on the south coast". I assume neither is one of the two venerable institutions based in Brighton, but maybe NSC has heard differently? I wouldn't like to think that Sussex is going under now that the Albion aren't renting the sports pavilion any longer ...
      I think Sussex are fine as they are about to invest £550million in rebuilding half of the campus. The article implies that they are "lower-tariff" universities, so it pretty much discounts either institution in Brighton.
      "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I doubt it's Sussex. I went there with Miss W the other week for their open day and they are investing millions in student accomodation and have invested millions in their business school. It would be a very foolish financial officer to invest that kind of money if the Uni was struggling.
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."

0 Not allowed!
      Very close to home for those at University of Brighton (must be quite a few on here...?). Unlikely to be one of the two universities mentioned in the report, as UoB is neither small nor in an unappealing location, but message from VC Debra Humphries last week (extracts below) is clear about UoB facing pretty severe financial challenges.

The references in the article to selling off real estate and closing down unpopular/unprofitable courses are both likely to be reality for UoB. Hastings has already gone and Eastbourne must come under severe threat unless current trends reverse. Debra described herself as a "consolidator" in her introductory announcement and it seems certain she will be living up to that tag during the next year or so...

"Year-on-year we have become increasingly dependent on clearing to achieve our student numbers and, despite tremendous efforts by colleagues from across the University, we fell short of target this year by over 600 undergraduate students. The financial implications of this are very real and, given that approximately 70% of our income comes from student fees, it exposes us to a greater degree of financial risk. This is at a time when, in common with the entire sector, we face considerable uncertainty around the Post-18 funding review which could result in significantly reduced student fees, an increase in pension costs, Brexit negotiations and the position of our regulator, the Office for Student (OfS), in regard to its promotion of competition between institutions.

There is no doubt that this year represents a pivotal moment for our University. The fiercely competitive environment in which we operate, our attractiveness relative to our competitor universities, and continuing demographic changes affecting the number of 18 year-old applicants means that I believe it prudent to develop plans based on a more realistic expectation of our annual student intake and to acknowledge that this is likely to become the norm for the next few years.

With this in mind, I have established the Securing our Future Project Board, which will report directly to University Executive Board (UEB). The Board is led by the Registrar & Secretary and the membership includes the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, the Heads of the schools of Education and Health Science, the Director of People, the Director of Finance and an Associate Pro-Vice–Chancellor for Research & Enterprise. Other senior colleagues from Finance, Planning & Performance and Marketing & Communications complete the membership of the Project Board. The Board of Governors is also fully appraised and supportive of this work.

This Board is tasked with two phases of work. The first is to respond to the immediate shortfall in income of approximately £6.5m for 2018-19 as a result of our under-recruitment. I can confirm that some of this can be met by us reducing the contingency funds that had been set aside in the 2018-19 budget. The remainder will be met with adjustments to budget allocations for those schools who are most affected by under-recruitment, and discussions with these schools are already taking place. These savings combined with a reprioritising and re-phasing of our investment plans will ensure that the funding gap for 2018-19 will largely be covered.

The second phase of work undertaken by Securing our Future will be to develop proposals to address a recurrent projected shortfall of approximately £20m by 2020-21. In the light of this, the Project Board is currently working with heads of school and their teams to devise and present a schedule of proposals for reshaping our course portfolio in advance of the 2019-20 academic year. It is also important to know that the Project Board has been tasked with identifying opportunities for potential growth in our recruitment, innovation and change in our professional services and improvements across all aspects of our delivery."
      The BHAFC forum is utter shite. They literally talk about everything except their own football club on there.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanstalk View Post
      The article implies that they are "lower-tariff" universities, so it pretty much discounts either institution in Brighton.
      I'd love to disagree but sadly UoB, with a few notable exceptions, is very much "lower tariff" in these modern times. "No tariff" would be closer to the truth for some courses scrambling to fill places this September...
      The BHAFC forum is utter shite. They literally talk about everything except their own football club on there.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Gariani View Post
      Very close to home for those at University of Brighton (must be quite a few on here...?). Unlikely to be one of the two universities mentioned in the report, as UoB is neither small nor in an unappealing location, but message from VC Debra Humphries last week (extracts below) is clear about UoB facing pretty severe financial challenges.

The references in the article to selling off real estate and closing down unpopular/unprofitable courses are both likely to be reality for UoB. Hastings has already gone and Eastbourne must come under severe threat unless current trends reverse. Debra described herself as a "consolidator" in her introductory announcement and it seems certain she will be living up to that tag during the next year or so...

"Year-on-year we have become increasingly dependent on clearing to achieve our student numbers and, despite tremendous efforts by colleagues from across the University, we fell short of target this year by over 600 undergraduate students. The financial implications of this are very real and, given that approximately 70% of our income comes from student fees, it exposes us to a greater degree of financial risk. This is at a time when, in common with the entire sector, we face considerable uncertainty around the Post-18 funding review which could result in significantly reduced student fees, an increase in pension costs, Brexit negotiations and the position of our regulator, the Office for Student (OfS), in regard to its promotion of competition between institutions.

There is no doubt that this year represents a pivotal moment for our University. The fiercely competitive environment in which we operate, our attractiveness relative to our competitor universities, and continuing demographic changes affecting the number of 18 year-old applicants means that I believe it prudent to develop plans based on a more realistic expectation of our annual student intake and to acknowledge that this is likely to become the norm for the next few years.

With this in mind, I have established the Securing our Future Project Board, which will report directly to University Executive Board (UEB). The Board is led by the Registrar & Secretary and the membership includes the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, the Heads of the schools of Education and Health Science, the Director of People, the Director of Finance and an Associate Pro-Vice–Chancellor for Research & Enterprise. Other senior colleagues from Finance, Planning & Performance and Marketing & Communications complete the membership of the Project Board. The Board of Governors is also fully appraised and supportive of this work.

This Board is tasked with two phases of work. The first is to respond to the immediate shortfall in income of approximately £6.5m for 2018-19 as a result of our under-recruitment. I can confirm that some of this can be met by us reducing the contingency funds that had been set aside in the 2018-19 budget. The remainder will be met with adjustments to budget allocations for those schools who are most affected by under-recruitment, and discussions with these schools are already taking place. These savings combined with a reprioritising and re-phasing of our investment plans will ensure that the funding gap for 2018-19 will largely be covered.

The second phase of work undertaken by Securing our Future will be to develop proposals to address a recurrent projected shortfall of approximately £20m by 2020-21. In the light of this, the Project Board is currently working with heads of school and their teams to devise and present a schedule of proposals for reshaping our course portfolio in advance of the 2019-20 academic year. It is also important to know that the Project Board has been tasked with identifying opportunities for potential growth in our recruitment, innovation and change in our professional services and improvements across all aspects of our delivery."
      Thanks for that....interesting (junior is at UoB Eastbourne campus)

Too many kids were pushed towards Uni education IMO (particularly during the Blair years), presumably led to the Unis having to expand and invest to cope with the numbers.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanstalk View Post
      I think Sussex are fine as they are about to invest £550million in rebuilding half of the campus. The article implies that they are "lower-tariff" universities, so it pretty much discounts either institution in Brighton.
      Southampton Solent seems like a realistic guess at one.
      This is not Nick Rhodes.

11 Not allowed!
      Supply and demand, too many universities chucking out useless degrees that have no relevance in getting the students a job.
      The oldest known computer

14 Not allowed!
      Polytechnics should’ve stayed as Polytechnics rather than pretending to be Universities.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
      The i is suggesting that three British universities are on the brink of bankruptcy including "two on the south coast".
      Anyone got a theory about which "two on the south coast" are "on the brink of bankruptcy"...?

Obviously extremely serious as things are only going to get worse for such institutions - a percentage at the bottom of the pile are certain to go to the wall during the next few years. The old saying about not having to be faster than the lion just faster than the slowest gazelle will be comfort to many...