Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton’s old guard give him time to bed in Brighton’s reinforcements

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If ambition of a football club can be defined by transfer spend, then Brighton’s owners declared their intentions to improve on 15th place last season by spending significantly this summer.

Surviving in the Premier League was a considerable achievement for the Seagulls but choosing to exist in the top-flight is not only a risky strategy, it’s also not particularly fun, and chairman Tony Bloom clearly has designs on his club becoming a regular presence in the top 10.

As a result, £62million was invested on six first-team ready players in giving manager Chris Hughton fresh options across a host of positions. Except, 10 games into the season few of the new men have rarely been seen in a blue and white shirt.

More >>> http://bit.ly/2OXKfMh

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Maybe we spread the funds too thin and should have bought two 30,000,000 pound players? I think we will spend the same amount every season in PL but on 2 or 3 players in the future.

It’s brilliant that the old guard are making it so hard for new players to break in to the team as when they do they will have earned the right to play.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Our problem won’t be finding the money for a top striker to replace Muzza; it will be finding a top striker prepared to join us. We are gradually getting a bit more attractive with the set up we have, so hopefully we can get someone in the Giroud mould to take us forwards.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If ambition of a football club can be defined by transfer spend, then Brighton’s owners declared their intentions to improve on 15th place last season by spending significantly this summer.

Surviving in the Premier League was a considerable achievement for the Seagulls but choosing to exist in the top-flight is not only a risky strategy, it’s also not particularly fun, and chairman Tony Bloom clearly has designs on his club becoming a regular presence in the top 10.

As a result, £62million was invested on six first-team ready players in giving manager Chris Hughton fresh options across a host of positions. Except, 10 games into the season few of the new men have rarely been seen in a blue and white shirt.

More >>> http://bit.ly/2OXKfMh
Good article.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good article.

I think the club have gone about it the right way, by maintaining the core of the team that got us promoted, gradually adding to our depth and integrating the new additions into the squad, and eventually the team, without just throwing them all in. The likes of Middlesbrough threw their team up in the air when they got promoted, made wholesale changes, and crashed straight back down as a result. Its looking like Fulham might have gone and done something similar, there's rumours there of disharmony and resentment within the squad from the established players towards the new ones who have taken their places.

You've GOT to strengthen when you go up obviously, but there's a balance to be struck, and so far its looking like we're getting it about right.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Good article.

I think the club have gone about it the right way, by maintaining the core of the team that got us promoted, gradually adding to our depth and integrating the new additions into the squad, and eventually the team, without just throwing them all in. The likes of Middlesbrough threw their team up in the air when they got promoted, made wholesale changes, and crashed straight back down as a result. Its looking like Fulham might have gone and done something similar, there's rumours there of disharmony and resentment within the squad from the established players towards the new ones who have taken their places.

You've GOT to strengthen when you go up obviously, but there's a balance to be struck, and so far its looking like we're getting it about right.

You have been reading the Fulham forum lol. So have i. Plenty going on at Craven Cottage and the harmony doesn't look rosy within the squad.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Of the new players I've seen first hand

Keeper v Saints - looked decent
Montoya , has shown real class but also shown a bad side - think will be ok though
Bernardo - 1 horror show , 1 ok show - jury out
Balogun - looked class ( 1.5 games)
Bissouma - few flashes of being class but a lot of poor things , jury out
Locadia - Jury out but not looking up to it so far
AJ - Hasn't done anything yet , needs to show something to keep hi place IMHO , jury out
Andone - who

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You have been reading the Fulham forum lol. So have i. Plenty going on at Craven Cottage and the harmony doesn't look rosy within the squad.

I'm a rubbernecker. I LOVE picking over opposition fans messageboards when things are going tits up :lolol:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Of the new players I've seen first hand

Keeper v Saints - looked decent
Montoya , has shown real class but also shown a bad side - think will be ok though
Bernardo - 1 horror show , 1 ok show - jury out
Balogun - looked class ( 1.5 games)
Bissouma - few flashes of being class but a lot of poor things , jury out
Locadia - Jury out but not looking up to it so far
AJ - Hasn't done anything yet , needs to show something to keep hi place IMHO , jury out
Andone - who

Button / Steele - not seen either live, so won't pass any judgment. I'd rather have Walton here tbh.

Montoya - excellent player for the price we paid. The guy keeping him out is also an excellent right back!

Bernardo - versatile, which is useful. Unlikely to make any position his own, from what (little) we've seen so far.

Balogun - looks an excellent signing, especially for free. Kept out through incredible form of the incumbents.

Bissouma - huge potential, if very raw. think he'll be a fine player in time.

Locadia - from the evidence of my own eyes, rather than people's wishful thinking that he'll 'come good', he is the worst value signing in the club's history. I'd love to be proved completely wrong, but if I am, it will be the MOST wrong I have ever been about an Albion player (and there's stiff competition - I though Agustien was going to be great...)

Alireza - He's a decent solid wide-man, rather than the superstar his Persian fanbase led us to believe, but a useful addition nonetheless.

Andone - baffling / concerning that he hasn't forced his way into contention, despite Locadia's poor showing. Jury hasn't even convened yet.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
After a shaky start, in which they produced their worst performance since they earned promotion in losing 2-0 at Watford, they responded in style by beating Manchester United 3-2 at the Amex Stadium.

Someone didn't go as far back as West Brom and Huddersfield away last season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good Article, although you only had to read the piece on Bernardo in the Argus last week to understand that the new signings know they have to get up to speed on the training ground to understand the clubs tactical approach and the different demands of the PL. They will be introduced slowly and I expect some will become starters in the 2nd half of the season

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Our problem won’t be finding the money for a top striker to replace Muzza; it will be finding a top striker prepared to join us. We are gradually getting a bit more attractive with the set up we have, so hopefully we can get someone in the Giroud mould to take us forwards.

If a top striker wants to keep playing long past the age when most clubs would have sold him, then we will be a very attractive proposition indeed.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I do feel the influx of new players is forcing the old guard to up their game,e.g. the 'new' King Kayal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Ali J has been disappointing, but again I think this is a confidence issue, and will improve with game time.

I think this is a bit unfair on AJ. He's in a new league in a new country and has had to learn to adapt. People were saying the same thing about Izzy last year (and Gross after a couple of games) - give him a bit of time to settle and then see how it goes

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
"10 games into the season few of the new men have rarely been seen in a blue and white shirt."

Who wrote this, HB&B?

It should either be:
"10 games into the season the new men have rarely been seen in a blue and white shirt."
Or
"10 games into the season few of the new men have been seen in a blue and white shirt."

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If a top striker wants to keep playing long past the age when most clubs would have sold him, then we will be a very attractive proposition indeed.

Trouble is the top striker will expect to be on the same wage as when he was at his peak with a big club. The days when top players would drop down for a season or two to prolong their careers and scrape together enough to buy a pub to run have long gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here