Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

0 Not allowed!
    Nearly every other crime is either Mr X or Mr Y. How comes no one ever suspects Mr K or Mr B of anything?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Megazone View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Nearly every other crime is either Mr X or Mr Y. How comes no one ever suspects Mr K or Mr B of anything?
      Your aspersions against our current #11 and the Chairman are premature and potentially libellous.
      6EQUJ5 2A

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      Just a hunch here, Harty, but I'm going to take a punt that a vastly experienced court judge sitting on a high profile murder trial is going to be pretty clued up on what is and is not permissible within a murder trial.

Look at the Milly Dowler case. Levi Bellfield's QC spent a considerable amount of time trying to suggest that Bob Dowler was somehow linked to his daughter's disappearance, and the trial ended up being a horrific experience for her family, even with Bellfield's conviction. It's just the defence trying to cast any element of doubt they possibly can into the jury's minds. That tiny "but what if..?" could be enough to tip a juror or two into thinking they cannot be sure of a defendant's guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
      If by some miracle Mr Y was acquitted, at least we'd be spared him doing a Gerry Conlon outside the Old Bailey........

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Barry Izbak View Post
      Can anyone explain seriously, why it is anticipated that the trial of Mr Y will last for eight weeks!

It is the most obviously open and shut case since Messrs A & B were accused of stealing BHAFC in cahoots with Mr S.

Eight weeks?
      Really?

At what cost?
      Surely the court of NSC could deal with this case in a morning in Dicks Bar
      If it is so open and shut, why wasn't Mr Y convicted first time round? Many fingers at the time pointed in a different direction, although the police were adamant that they had the right man.
      England are still the only team to have won the World Cup wearing red shirts.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Barry Izbak View Post
      Can anyone explain seriously, why it is anticipated that the trial of Mr Y will last for eight weeks!
      Unless there's a guilty plea, all murder trials last a few weeks. There'll be a variety of reasons why this could be longer: there have already been a couple of days when the jury didn't sit as the judge had to hear legal arguments (possibly around the issues that the OP mentioned). But there will also be a lot of shorter interruptions during days when jurors are sitting. This case is particularly complicated because there's already been one trial and there needs to be significant new evidence. There was also a day lost when the jury came down to Wild Park.

If I were on trial for murder, I sincerely hope that my defence counsel would be able to speak up for me, call witnesses etc and not wait while a few boozers decide my fate.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
      If it is so open and shut, why wasn't Mr Y convicted first time round? Many fingers at the time pointed in a different direction, although the police were adamant that they had the right man.
      If my memory serves me correctly, an hour after the not guilty verdict in 1987 Sussex Police issued a statement saying they weren't looking for anyone else in connection with the murders.

0 Not allowed!
      You only have to look at the Suzy Lamplugh case to see how the police can make a mess of an investigation. The book 'A Question of Evidence' about the case said that there was other suspects and not just the one man
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Rider View Post
      If my memory serves me correctly, an hour after the not guilty verdict in 1987 Sussex Police issued a statement saying they weren't looking for anyone else in connection with the murders.
      They said exactly the same thing after the case was dropped against Colin Stagg for the murder of Rachel Nickell. They told he family that the murderer had got away with as they had the right man. It was a shocking case: Stagg's life was destroyed and the police officer who tried to entrap him suffered severe psychological damage.

So, I'd take anything the police say about guilt of murderers with a pinch of salt - that' what court cases are for.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Ralph Haeems managed to convince the jury that the forensic evidence could be flawed due to possible contamination of evidence bags which weren't sealed.