Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acker79 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure the claim was presented on here as a rumour once. It's where I remember first hearing it.
    There were various rumours doing the rounds at the time suggesting there was more to it than meets the eye.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by happypig View Post
      the problem with that is, if the Arsegas has put up something that's defamatory, then repeating it here *could* have ramifications. Best just to stick to the requests not to mention it until the case is over.
      As pointed out in post #11, it's not defamatory. In this instance, we're perfectly safe speculating and mentioning names

However, that doesn't mean that we can write things like "I knew Mr X was a wrong un, some bloke told me in The Dog and Bollocks on Saturday night" You can only talk about what was said in court NOT anything else connected to the case.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
      Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      Perhaps the law should be changed so that ALL defendants on any charge are not named until a guilty verdict is recorded
      Somewhat undermines the Police when they are trying to find someone on the run.
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

Out of contract June 2019 : Bruno, Bong
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clapham_gull View Post
      Somewhat undermines the Police when they are trying to find someone on the run.
      It would also stop other victims coming forward. One of the reasons that there were some successful prosecutions for historic sexual assault instances is that the accuseds' names have been in the public domain. If it were reported that Mr X was being charged with sexual assault, it would mean nothing to the people who had also been assaulted by Mr X but who have told their stories to no-one.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Rattler View Post
      Out of interest, were Mr Y to be found guilty and jailed (or indeed be found innocent, but nevertheless still go to jail to complete a sentence for another similar offence), and were he then to become the victim of an unfortunate accident in his cell / the shower / etc., resulting in his early demise... would you, if asked, accept the job of dealing respectfully with whatever pieces of his body remained?
      There isn't enough money for me to look after Mr Y, as it would be an insult to every other family I've ever looked after. How could I have him use the same Chapels of Rest as everyone we've cared for in the past and the future for that matter?

The death of Moors Murderer Ian Brady actually set a precedent, not only could they not find a funeral director to take on the arrangements but all the crematoriums in his locality and beyond refused to cremate him, and all the grave diggers would have been of the same mind.

As I understand it Brady was cremated on a government site and his ashes scattered out at sea, I would imagine in time it will be the same for the likes of Ian Huntley, Peter Suttcliffe, Levi Belfield, Roy Whiting, Mr Y and a few others.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Winker View Post
      There were various rumours doing the rounds at the time suggesting there was more to it than meets the eye.
      Correct. Some of them have resurfaced in court, as reported in the Argus today.
      Last edited by Not Andy Naylor; 31-10-2018 at 11:25.
      England are still the only team to have won the World Cup wearing red shirts.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Rider View Post

Surely the Judge should have made the Defence barrister withdraw the remark and imposed reporting restrictions ?

Mr X is not on trial Mr Y is.

Just a hunch here, Harty, but I'm going to take a punt that a vastly experienced court judge sitting on a high profile murder trial is going to be pretty clued up on what is and is not permissible within a murder trial.

Look at the Milly Dowler case. Levi Bellfield's QC spent a considerable amount of time trying to suggest that Bob Dowler was somehow linked to his daughter's disappearance, and the trial ended up being a horrific experience for her family, even with Bellfield's conviction. It's just the defence trying to cast any element of doubt they possibly can into the jury's minds. That tiny "but what if..?" could be enough to tip a juror or two into thinking they cannot be sure of a defendant's guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.
      I'll look after the skirt Pinkie Brown's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      Just a hunch here, Harty, but I'm going to take a punt that a vastly experienced court judge sitting on a high profile murder trial is going to be pretty clued up on what is and is not permissible within a murder trial. .
      Assuming everyone is intimating to the same case, that would be Justice Sweeney? The same judge who called the jury idiots (in more learned words) when the Vicky Pryce trial collapsed, due to the jury asking too many stupid questions during deliberation. I heard on good authority, Sweeney got smack over the knuckles for that.
      "Zaha does not dive," said Hodgson.

0 Not allowed!
      Can anyone explain seriously, why it is anticipated that the trial of Mr Y will last for eight weeks!

It is the most obviously open and shut case since Messrs A & B were accused of stealing BHAFC in cahoots with Mr S.

Eight weeks?
      Really?

At what cost?
      Surely the court of NSC could deal with this case in a morning in Dicks Bar
      I have not forgiven Lewes Council, or DeVeggie, or Archer, or Bellotti, or Stanley, or Bailey, or Whiteside, or Challis, or Saints and Spurs for that 0-0 in 1978.
      I don't get over things and I don't move on easily. OK?