70 29.41%
  • I earn >£50k and No it doesn't

120 50.42%
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiptoe through the NSC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely being rich is to do with what you own, not your annual salary. Ultimately, the rich own the land and accumulate wealth based upon that and their other assets. Hence they do not have a salary at all, just (frequently undertaxed) income.
    Exactly. I earn nothing personally but my assets and investments keep me going.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      Rich.
      If you like.

0 Not allowed!
      I was probably rich for a while at the end of the last decade, while my wife was equalling my salary and we lived in a small house in Hanover.

We moved out of town to give the kids a bedroom each and soon after took a hit on total household income of nearly 50%.

Iím certainly not rich now, but manage to hold on to a few luxuries whilst paying an eye-watering mortgage that runs until Iím 70 and trying to get my wifeís business profitable.

Itís all about circumstances.

When Iím 70, Iíll probably feel rich again, though I might not be able to enjoy it as much as I did 10 years ago!

I also see so many houses that are so far out of my reach that I canít understand how I can be in the top 10% of earners. Who can all these people be who own houses worth double what mine is (and more)?
      Mon nez est parfait! Knocky's Nose's Avatar

6 Not allowed!
      £50k pa is not 'Rich' in my opinion.

It's comfortable enough to pay the bills, have a holiday or two, and drive a decent and reliable car as long as you haven't got a mental mortgage. It's comfortable, and oh my words how quickly do you get used to that feeling. It's such a shock when it disappears!

I think 'Rich' is a state of mind in many cases, though. You can't put a value on it.

I know people on £200k pa combined who are pissed off they can't quite afford to hire a small yacht and crew for their fortnights summer break, buy an even bigger house than their 6-bedroomed mansion, add an extension, swimming pool or a tennis court, and pay for the kids to go to a top private school and so on. They don't feel 'rich' compared to their friends who can afford all of the aforementioned.

I know people on £50k combined who feel blessed they can drive a used BMW, live in an actual detached house, and go abroad 3 times a year - even if it's to Spain and so on. They feel rich.

Your standards, your upbringing, and your personal pride dictate how rich you feel - in my humble opinion.
      Ce Qui Donne?

Does earning £50k a year make you 'rich'

2 Not allowed!
      Iíve worked hard and applied myself (at times) a great deal to achieve what I have by 30. I earn in excess of 50k with bonuses etc, no commute, no overtime, no children, private healthcare, healthy pension etc but I have a mortgage of over 2k a month so I can struggle a little bit at times tbh BUT thatís my choice and I consider myself extremely privileged as should anyone earning what I do tbh, no matter what your circumstances or life choices, even if thatís kids etc, open your eyes, the vast, vast majority of the worlds population would give anything to be in your position. Some of these comments make me very angry! Youíre Ďrichí

1 Not allowed!
      Rich is such a loose term but I can’t see how 50k can make you rich in this south of England. It may make you comfortable depending on your circumtstances but that is not quite the same.

Knocky’s nose covers it perfectly IMO.
      Well the thirty minutes are almost up Swindon fans but your not there yet. in it goes (yyyyyyeeeessssssss) ooohhh its gone in, Brighton in added on time have snatched a goal through Virgo!!! Incredible!! Once again there is late, late, late drama in the playoffs!!

Unused substitute REMF 5.

Proud owner of Hendersons Gloves from 18/10/2005. Crystal Palace 0-1 Brighton And Hove Albion

0 Not allowed!
      If 50k isn't rich then I'm very definitely poor.
      Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion.
      Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Fair point, to be more specific, Living in central Shoreham, as I have done most of my life. Tried other places and always come back. A three bed house here is 350k and up.A 2 bed flat is a minimum of 200. When I got on the ladder in 1992 I was 20, earning 10k a year and bought a 2 bed flat for 39k. 10 years ago I could still afford to race a car 5 or 6 times a year, with a son and a camper. Not now, it's a £1500 weekend each race! We live in a normal 3 bed semi, drive older 2nd hand cars, and do most diy things ourselves. We certainly don't n't feel poor, but far from 'rich' whatever that is. For me, it would be living as I do and having change to save at the end of each month.

What ever happens next year is going to be shit and we will all be poorer still.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenFreemansPerm View Post
      Bit of a sweeping statement, no? My partner and I earn less than £40k between us, we have a child, and a mortgage on our 3 bedroom house. We don’t don’t take the holidays we once did because it would be pointless taking a baby snowboarding, however we will as soon as he’s old enough. We take care of the money we do earn and as a result we can still afford to do nice things.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBaltiPie View Post
      I’ve worked hard and applied myself (at times) a great deal to achieve what I have by 30. I earn in excess of 50k with bonuses etc, no commute, no overtime, no children, private healthcare, healthy pension etc but I have a mortgage of over 2k a month so I can struggle a little bit at times tbh BUT that’s my choice and I consider myself extremely privileged as should anyone earning what I do tbh, no matter what your circumstances or life choices, even if that’s kids etc, open your eyes, the vast, vast majority of the worlds population would give anything to be in your position. Some of these comments make me very angry! You’re ‘rich’
      Absolutely. Comments like 'it means you can go on a holiday or two a year but doesn't mean you're rich...' make me angry.

To billions of people around the world, simply owning a washing machine would make you rich in their eyes. Owning over 50k and being able to live the lifestyle that affords (or even over 25/30k a year) would make you extremely rich in billions of people's eyes.

Some depressing comments on this thread.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BN41Albion View Post
      Absolutely. Comments like 'it means you can go on a holiday or two a year but doesn't mean you're rich...' make me angry.

To billions of people around the world, simply owning a washing machine would make you rich in their eyes. Owning over 50k and being able to live the lifestyle that affords (or even over 25/30k a year) would make you extremely rich in billions of people's eyes.

Some depressing comments on this thread.
      I've been reading this and thinking similar, the thing is, it's all relative isn't it. Most people in this country can eat enough food most of the time and for the rest, well there's food banks aren't there so they're not exactly poor are they? Likewise people who can afford to go to Lanzarote for 3 holidays a year don't consider themselves rich when they look at their neighbours and friends but on a global scale, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
      Fair point, to be more specific, Living in central Shoreham, as I have done most of my life. Tried other places and always come back. A three bed house here is 350k and up.A 2 bed flat is a minimum of 200. When I got on the ladder in 1992 I was 20, earning 10k a year and bought a 2 bed flat for 39k. 10 years ago I could still afford to race a car 5 or 6 times a year, with a son and a camper. Not now, it's a £1500 weekend each race! We live in a normal 3 bed semi, drive older 2nd hand cars, and do most diy things ourselves. We certainly don't n't feel poor, but far from 'rich' whatever that is. For me, it would be living as I do and having change to save at the end of each month.

What ever happens next year is going to be shit and we will all be poorer still.
      I don't mean to pick on you here but I just want to make a point that while Shoreham has become stupidly expensive (I'll come back to that), you did make choices 10 years ago "I could still afford to race a car 5 or 6 times a year, with a son and a camper" which are 100% absolutely your choice but they do have a direct impact on where you're at today. We have many friends who are regular taking their families on > £10k holidays, always relatively new cars, always on expensive days out with the kids but then have many years left on their mortgages and not much in the pot for a rainy day. It's all down to choice of course but I do find it odd.

Just to point out again, I'm sure you had a fantastic time with your son, a camper and a race car and don't regret a thing, I'm just highlighting some of the choices middle class people can afford to make while still not regarding themselves as rich.