Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dangull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Amex was a bit bigger, we may have been a bit higher.
    I'll never forgive Derek Chapman for not making it 45,000, with much longer train platforms at Falmer. But that's another thread.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      I seem to remember there was a rush for people going to see the stiffs too
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      I'll never forgive Derek Chapman for not making it 45,000, with much longer train platforms at Falmer. But that's another thread.
      I don't think it was up to him!
      England are still the only team to have won the World Cup wearing red shirts.
      Fest avoider

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      There is a similarity between the Mike Bailey days and now - in both cases we were surviving in a tough division with some bigger and better teams, and were getting some success through wonderfully organised defending. Not pretty - and, tbh, our last three 'one-nil-to-the-Albion's haven't been exactly entertaining, apart from the three points (altough I suppose the traditional hanging on for dear life for the last twenty minutes is exciting in its horrid way!). The difference now is that we have a Chairman and a large number of fans who remember the mistake we made in getting rid of Bailey to get a 'name' in - and won't jump into doing it again. We've learned better.

And OK, I'll 'fess up. I was never calling for Bailey to go, but I was quite pleased and excited when Melia was brought in. Sorry......................
      Wasn't Melia on the staff anyway, perhaps as a scout?

I will admit to being bitterly disappointed. Also cringed at his publicity stunts during the cup run and when he was booted out. Didn't he appear in the North Stand versus massive?
      I do not have a professional working knowledge of cricket.

0 Not allowed!
      Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if it has been mentioned. On another thread someone blamed the sacking of Bailey as the reason the club almost went into terminal decline which seems odd bearing in mind, now I might be wrong here, that it was the club that gave players ludicrous 10 year contracts that were not sustainable. Having to support those contracts on the back of falling attendances no doubt contributed to the demise of Bailey. However, was it not the case that the problem was not sacking Bailey but in a cheap appointment of someone who had no worthwhile managerial experience and, as it seemed, was just a puppet for the senior members of the team?
      Fest avoider

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if it has been mentioned. On another thread someone blamed the sacking of Bailey as the reason the club almost went into terminal decline which seems odd bearing in mind, now I might be wrong here, that it was the club that gave players ludicrous 10 year contracts that were not sustainable. Having to support those contracts on the back of falling attendances no doubt contributed to the demise of Bailey. However, was it not the case that the problem was not sacking Bailey but in a cheap appointment of someone who had no worthwhile managerial experience and, as it seemed, was just a puppet for the senior members of the team?
      Harsh but seems very fair. That was the talk in the town at the time.
      I do not have a professional working knowledge of cricket.

0 Not allowed!
      Blimey - 3 games of winning 1-0 in a row and we've turned into Arsenal and Mike Bailey.
      Only a few weeks ago our defence had gone awry and we were generously giving teams 2-0 leads and throwing caution to the wind getting back into the game.
      Presumably when we play Man United again we'll be peak Albion, all imperious and scoring half a dozen. Well probably.

or perhaps its all a bit early to judge...

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Blind Pugh View Post
      Wasn't Melia on the staff anyway, perhaps as a scout?

I will admit to being bitterly disappointed. Also cringed at his publicity stunts during the cup run and when he was booted out. Didn't he appear in the North Stand versus massive?
      You may be right - I don't know; I was living in Scotland at the time and my only sources of information on the Albion were newspapers (Scottish editions!) and the radio, plus the occasional visit to the Goldstone when I came south to visit my parents in Sussex - no internet back then, either!
      From afar, and with minimal information, I was delighted that a 'name' like the great Liverpool player Jimmy Melia was coming to manage little ole' Brighton to greater heights (and Cup Finals!) And yes, I felt the same way when that other former Liverpool great, Sami Hyypia, arrived.......

0 Not allowed!
      Where did the Jimmy Melia appointment actually arise from,as his track record was all most non extant at the time?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Leekbrookgull View Post
      Where did the Jimmy Melia appointment actually arise from,as his track record was all most non extant at the time?
      Same ethos as the Mullery appointment, wasn't it? - recently retired big name successful player from a big successful club.