Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Youngs Contact Lense View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was only 10 - 14 years old during our Division 1 time, .. can't critique a journalist's output! Did he ever fan the flames of dissent against Mike Bailey';s tactics - that was the question HWT was asking..
    I cannot remember to be honest but his usual ploy was at somd time to cover every scenario win lose or draw so Iwould think that it is highly likely that at some time he wrote should stay and at another time should be sacked.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post
      IF Chris Hughton manages to establish us in the premier league, then in the future we may well have a manager who plays some lovely flair stuff...

But the first part of that equation is a long way from being achieved. Walk before you can run.
      Life’s too short. Sack him now and appoint a flair manager, to appease the moaning minnies.

2 Not allowed!
      I think its really uplifting to see how the team and especially the defenders as one celebrate with such passion the Wolves victory. Such a close knit group !

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      I cannot remember to be honest but his usual ploy was at somd time to cover every scenario win lose or draw so Iwould think that it ix highly likely that at some time he wrote should stay and at another time should be sacked.
      Sounds like Merson.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post

Walk before you can run.
      Or run and if you fall over get up and have another go.
      A new revolution, Blooming marvellous scenes -

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ewe2 View Post
      I think its really uplifting to see how the team and especially the defenders as one celebrate with such passion the Wolves victory. Such a close knit group !
      And that's what our attitude should be too. Until the team starts playing scintillating football, we should be cheering every tackle and header won and showing that we appreciate that brilliant, committed defending wins games as much as attacking does.
      England are still the only team to have won the World Cup wearing red shirts.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by northstandsteve View Post
      Mike Bailey should have been given more time, which Chris will get. Winning games at this level is all that matters at the moment as far as I am concerned. Not paying well and winning is good thing.

Falling attendances while winning would be a worry ...

Lets enjoy the ride.

Personally great rear guards are a fantastic spectacle.

Forest away in 1979 springs to mind...
      Oh yes, a great day not to be forgotten...

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      back in 1982 it was just a very vocal minority of fans at a fans forum who started the myth of Bailey's football being boring and keeping the crowds away when it was a shite ground and facilities , crowd trouble and crap like that and we were in the middle of Thatcher's recession so people didn't have money to spend
      Well that's just utter rubbish. I was certainly not part of any vocal minority and nor where any of my mates. It was no myth, Bailey's team was what might be described today as 'vanilla'. Organised to the point of utter tedium. Shite ground and facilities? Well it was my ground and I would never have stayed away for that reason. To blame Thatcher beggars belief - in Brighton we were more likely to blame Scargill if we were using such a fatuous argument for not going to a football match - which we weren't! There is no comparison with Hughton's style. He had three wingers starting against Wolves and freely admits that we have better levels to reach. But savour the roar of the crowd when the final whistle blew on Saturday - never heard during Bailey's reign.
      I hope you meet someone your height, so you can see eye to eye with someone as small as you!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mouldy Boots View Post
      Or run and if you fall over get up and have another go.
      With Tony having to £m subsidise Championship Albion should the flair experiment fails.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Is there a point we could consider replacing Hughton? Yes of course there is. Nothing lasts forever. However, we are nowhere near that point currently. We are a work in progress and anyone who cannot see that is a prat. Second season up against clubs with bigger budgets. We cannot open up at this point, we don't have the players. I also suspect that had Gross been available Saturday we would have offered more in attack than we did but even then the new players need time to get up to speed and adjust to the PL. To progress, we need to be able to increase budgets, which can only come from clever recruitment and sales. We also need to be able to produce quality players through our youth system. If and its a big if, we can achieve those things we can start to play more expansive football and try to effect the top end of the table. At the moment we are looking at incremental gains and survival as the basis of our plan. If we had the players and still played negatively then the moaners might have an argument but until we get to that point, we need to play to a system that maximises our potential and gleans as many points as possible. That to my mind is exactly where we are right now.

I think the management team are preforming brilliantly and putting the building blocks in place for a bright future. I think we are a million miles from the Mike Bailey situation personally....