Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Career change at 36

D

Deleted member 18477

I've always been a believer of earning enough for YOU, not hating your job all week and loving your life outside of work with the absolute most important thing being your health.

If you're doing a job you hate or its stressful and affecting either your relationships or health then you're in the wrong job.

Well done for recognising you need a change to get out of your current rat race and good luck!

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I feel I need to add to this myth about the building trade, when you have been around it all your life you get to appreciate different trades and their skills. So many people, one think it’s easy it’s not. And two it takes years to master a particular trade not 6 months working with your brother in law. Every job throws up it own set of problems and it’s knowing how to get round them is where the years of graft come in. Do your time nothing wrong with that but honestly your not going to be any good for about 4-5 years and after that period your still a newbie to the old heads.

This. and also not many people are going to want to take on a 36 year old apprentice.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Been an estate agent for about 16 years and I've had enough. To be honest with you I've never enjoyed it, but it's not exactly the hardest job in the word so I've done ok at it and earned decent money. Have wanted to quit for years but because of mortgage/kids etc I've never wanted to take the risk of starting again and earning less money so instead I've changed job every couple of years in the hope of finding some happiness which I never have. The truth is I really don't like sales, it doesn't suit my personality at all but I've found it hard to get out.

I've struggled with it for years but it's really started to get me down recently. I've been suffering from stress quite a bit this year and I hate going to work each day - it is therefore also effecting my home life and I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful family so don't want to bring them down. With support from my other half we've agreed I do need to do something about it now as the way things are, people my age are going to be working for another 35 years or so which is a long time to be unhappy.

I fell in to estate agency as college/university just wasn't for me so unfortunately I don't have any qualifications or skills as such but i have always enjoyed being outside, practical and DIY etc. My brother in law is a brickie so I have helped him out a couple of times and I'm going to go on a part time course and work a bit with him at weekends whilst still working full time to hopefully train up to start working in the building industry. It will also mean that some of the experience I've built up in property will still go to a little use.

So I thought i'd put it out to the fount of knowledge that is NSC and see if anyone here has had a similar experience and changed career in late 30's/40's and how it worked out? Also any brickies/builders out there want to share their opinions on the job?!

I thought of packing in what I do for ages, even though on the surface it looks like a great job.
One thing I found helpful is to breakdown the individual elements of my job and routine and work out which parts i like and which i don’t. Don’t write it all off by saying - ‘I hate everything ‘.
Also, be careful about putting all the blame on your job - sounds like you have other stresses.
And bear in mind, at times life can be a ****ing drag whatever you do.
All of this can help you plan your next step without doing something rash like quitting your job on a whim.
Starting in something completely new should not be taken lightly. A deviation into something a bit different, but familiar would be preferable.
As for being a builder - as others have said, big toll on your body.
How about you did a bit of both ? Go part time at estate agents and a few days a week on the site?
36 is not too old. I’m 43 and am considering changes. Don’t get hung up on age.
I like these threads, the retirement one was good too. Great to hear people’s opinions and advice.

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
"Find a job you enjoy and add 5 days a week to your life" - Anon.

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right" - Henry Ford

I was 38 yrs old in 1999 and had been working for Yellow Pages for 3 years after working in insurance sales for 14 years.
I was extremely unhappy and had a problem getting out of bed each day to go to work.
So I took the gamble of going self-employed for what I consider the best job in the world. However it meant being away from home about 20 weeks a year and had no guarantee of work, provided no sick-pay or pension.
Fortunately I had a wife who encouraged me and we have never looked back.
19 years later, I've now reached a point that I can afford to retire but I don't want to.

It all sounds a bit smug and my mates often give me stick for being 'jammy', but you need to be brave or silly enough to take the plunge in the first place.

Good luck and if you have a supportive family you'll be fine (and happy again).

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Not sure if this idea has been put forward in earlier in the thread but have you thought about using your existing skills in a different way - e.g to go self employed and do property development.

Use your estate agency experience to locate and negotiate good prices on run down places (would likely be further north). Refurbish and then flip 6 months later. You can learn some trades which will cut costs on the refurb - you could even partner up with your brother who has existing skills.

If you find projects that look good but you can''t afford or are too busy you can '''sell'' them on to other investors or developers as leads.

I went self employed at 36 employing similar tactics to the above.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
One of the big problems with the mortgage it's based in a time when people had the same jobs all their lives and times have changed this is why you really have to think carefully about having a mortgage. It's never to late to change jobs and career, everyone I know has changed is happier. You get one life don't ruin it by sticking with a job you dislike.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Went through the career change process at 32 and was worried I couldn't do it but it was the best decision I ever made. Go for it, you can always return to being an estate agent if things go tits up!

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Not sure if this idea has been put forward in earlier in the thread but have you thought about using your existing skills in a different way - e.g to go self employed and do property development.

Use your estate agency experience to locate and negotiate good prices on run down places (would likely be further north). Refurbish and then flip 6 months later. You can learn some trades which will cut costs on the refurb - you could even partner up with your brother who has existing skills.

If you find projects that look good but you can''t afford or are too busy you can '''sell'' them on to other investors or developers as leads.

I went self employed at 36 employing similar tactics to the above.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with this. Sometimes when you have been doing the same thing for a long time or with one company, you can become somewhat 'institutionalised' and start to undervalue your own skill set.

You may very well be extremely marketable in a slightly different role/environment that doesn't require so much emphasis on sales or going down the self employed route.

I'd suggest assessing the things that you are good at and enjoy about your current role and how those could be applied in a different sphere of operation.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Thanks for the comments and shared experiences, this is a massive decision for me which I am taking my time over and talking to a lot of people to make sure I make the right decision so it is appreciated.

NSC at it's best.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks for the comments and shared experiences, this is a massive decision for me which I am taking my time over and talking to a lot of people to make sure I make the right decision so it is appreciated.

NSC at it's best.

You'll be a brave man to take the plunge, and all power to you. I hope it works out well.

FWIW though, I'd personally question the wisdom of embarking on a new, extremely physically demanding career at your age. I'm 47, and know that at 36 I still felt I could do anything a younger man could do. A decade on, and that is absolutely not the case. My job is mostly desk based, but I still need to spend 4 or 5 days a month on the tools, and after a challenging job I really feel it. If the work is outdoors and the weather is bad - cold especially - it makes for a horrible day. IMO like.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
You'll be a brave man to take the plunge, and all power to you. I hope it works out well.

FWIW though, I'd personally question the wisdom of embarking on a new, extremely physically demanding career at your age. I'm 47, and know that at 36 I still felt I could do anything a younger man could do. A decade on, and that is absolutely not the case. My job is mostly desk based, but I still need to spend 4 or 5 days a month on the tools, and after a challenging job I really feel it. If the work is outdoors and the weather is bad - cold especially - it makes for a horrible day. IMO like.

That's why this and talking to others has been really useful rather than just going over it in my head and speaking to my other half. As you say, at the moment I'm strong and fit and enjoy doing it the odd weekend but don't know how I'll feel in my 40's doing it every day. The brother in law has actually been trying to talk me out of it as he says if he had his time again, he wouldn't be a bricklayer and he wishes he'd trained as a plumber or sparky. It all helps me make a decision.

One thing the last few weeks has reaffirmed to me is it is always better to talk about things rather than bottling them up. I do feel there is some light at the end of the tunnel for me rather than the trapped feeling I've had for so long.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's why this and talking to others has been really useful rather than just going over it in my head and speaking to my other half. As you say, at the moment I'm strong and fit and enjoy doing it the odd weekend but don't know how I'll feel in my 40's doing it every day. The brother in law has actually been trying to talk me out of it as he says if he had his time again, he wouldn't be a bricklayer and he wishes he'd trained as a plumber or sparky. It all helps me make a decision.

One thing the last few weeks has reaffirmed to me is it is always better to talk about things rather than bottling them up. I do feel there is some light at the end of the tunnel for me rather than the trapped feeling I've had for so long.

Hi,

If in a few months time you're still weighing things up, but deep down are still very unhappy with work, I would say make the clear cut decision to get out of estate agency as soon as possible. A cliche, but life really is too short. You owe it to be kind to yourself. 36 is bloody young, especially when you consider that most people in your age band will be working to 68 or 70,

Spend quality time looking at all career and business options. There are so many possibilites out there beyond estate agency and bricklaying.

If you earn less for a period, meaning much cheaper holidays, shopping at Lidl/Aldi, running a cheaper car, it will all be worth it to be happy most of the time, rather than just on your six weeks leave from agency. Your family will notice a happier you.

Don't listen to those inner voices and negative influences in your life telling you to stay with the "devil you know" career.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here