Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 92
  1. #51
    Members
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Worcester England
    Posts
    7,658


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by timbha View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you say you have no qualifications you are being too hard on yourself
    I concur with this. You'll likely find its amazing how transferable your skills are to other jobs. Experience counts for a lot, even in a new field. Some of the best staff I have ever worked with have been "un/low qualified" moms returning to work for example with extraordinary organisational and time management skills they learnt without even knowing

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #52
      Members The Clamp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      West is BEST
      Posts
      6,962


      3 Not allowed!
      Good luck with the change but going into manual labour for the first time aged 36? Not on your nelly!
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
    • #53
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      Cheshire
      Posts
      4,924


      1 Not allowed!
      Yep. Joined the cops at 38.
    • #54
      Members
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Sittingbourne, Kent
      Posts
      2,664


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm really glad that's worked out for you, plus time with your kids is priceless. [Without prying, I hope your family, with the needs you touch upon, receive the support you might need from the state. Although I'm not a party political leftie, a civilised society should direct adequate resources to those genuinely needing it IMO.]
      It’s been very, very difficult to get the two older children the help they need and deserve. There is a current mantra that not all disabilities are visible, which definitely applies in their case. Because of this it has been very difficult to get people to understand their problems and needs. We are finally getting somewhere, but I do really worry about their futures and what safety nets will be there to catch them when we are no longer around to help them!
    • #55
      Members el punal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!
      Posts
      6,038


      0 Not allowed!
      Career change at 36? There’s no harm in contacting Brighton & Hove Albion F.C., apparently they’re recruiting for various roles in their first team. If you can ensure that you’re in the right place, at the right time, your chances of success are guaranteed. The usual company benefits apply and a free uniform is provided. Working at weekends and some evenings is compulsory, but you will enjoy the benefit of an annual extended summer leave. Please forward your C.V. and covering letter to . . .

      P.S. Best of luck for whatever path you choose.
    • #56
      Sanity Clause vegster's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Posts
      18,175


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf666 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It’s been very, very difficult to get the two older children the help they need and deserve. There is a current mantra that not all disabilities are visible, which definitely applies in their case. Because of this it has been very difficult to get people to understand their problems and needs. We are finally getting somewhere, but I do really worry about their futures and what safety nets will be there to catch them when we are no longer around to help them!
      I understand completely, at Mrs V's school there are many children with Special Needs that are not officially assessed as the money is not available to support them. All they need is extra support but it isn't there.
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

      " Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015
    • #57
      Sanity Clause vegster's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Posts
      18,175


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by indy3050 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I have to agree that the I have so much money but I’m still unhappy folk should take a step back and imagine having absolutely nothing and a family to support and then see who’s ****ing unhappy. I accept money doesn’t buy happiness but **** me it makes life easier.
      This, I'd love the chance to be rich and miserable. As for the " Guilt " that these high earners feel that forces them in to extravagant holidays etc...if I have an extravagant holiday I an eating in to my daughters inheritance which I feel really guilty about.
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

      " Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015
    • #58
      Mon nez est parfait! Knocky's Nose's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Eastbourneceistershire
      Posts
      862


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vegster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You are taking the piss right? Try being miserable on £15k a year and come back to me then.
      Then do what the OP is contemplating doing if you can (fair enough, I don't know your circumstances) and have a change if possible. Study for something of an evening and a few hours at weekends whilst working in your current job? I don't even know if you do earn £15k pa, or you were just making an irrelevant point on behalf of people earning £15k pa...

      Either way, this thread is about being miserable in your current job - and doing something about it. When my business went into liquidation I lost everything and was on Universal Credit this time last year. I can honestly say I was no more miserable than sitting on that aeroplane.

      I've lived like a pauper for the last year, saved like mad, studied something completely different to what I did, and with a bit of luck my new business will launch next spring. It can be done!
      Ce Qui Donne?
    • #59
      Members Vicar!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      888


      0 Not allowed!
      Flipped after 18 years with Barclays Bank. Took a month off to go travelling, came home (much to relief of wife and kids), negociated a leaving settlement, and went back to college. Studied travel and tourism, and over twenty years on am still in the industry. Pay not so great, but been many places most could only dream of and stayed in some of the finest hotels. Never regreted it for a moment. It’s been an amazing ride.
    • #60
      Members Quinney's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Hastings
      Posts
      2,710


      1 Not allowed!
      Name:  IMG_0276.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  578.7 KB
      I changed career aged 38. I was talking to a mates Dad. His advice was, “if you dread the thought of going to work Monday on the Sunday night, then it was time to change”. I said I dreaded the thought of going in on the Monday when I finished on the Friday afternoon. It was definitely time to change. Best thing I’ve done. Money wasn’t as good and lost company car but far happier. Blood pressure improved and drink less alcohol as less stressed. There’s never a perfect time to take the step, good luck when you do.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •