Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Members

3 Not allowed!
    Left school at 16 and did an apprenticeship in print, a trade I worked in for 30 years, before I took a career change at 47 years of age and joined the police.

I then took a further change of career, taking care, with my wife, of 3 children with varying degrees of disability - now that was a change, a change in everything, home life, family life, social life (suddenly no invites to dinner parties), it’s even affected our relationship as a couple...., but as far as I’m concerned it has all been worth it.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I would stick with what you are doing and milk it. I started doing an OK job that I grew to like and enjoy but the job slowly changed and now it pays crap and I hate it. It's too late for me to get out or change career but boy do I envy Estate Agents.

A pals daughter is trousering obscene amounts of money at the age of 32 as a slightly senior Estate Agent. Stick with it, unless you are an entrepreneur or solicitor or a Dentist it's not worth jumping ship.
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

" Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf666 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Left school at 16 and did an apprenticeship in print, a trade I worked in for 30 years, before I took a career change at 47 years of age and joined the police.

I then took a further change of career, taking care, with my wife, of 3 children with varying degrees of disability - now that was a change, a change in everything, home life, family life, social life (suddenly no invites to dinner parties), it’s even affected our relationship as a couple...., but as far as I’m concerned it has all been worth it.
      I'm really glad that's worked out for you, plus time with your kids is priceless. [Without prying, I hope your family, with the needs you touch upon, receive the support you might need from the state. Although I'm not a party political leftie, a civilised society should direct adequate resources to those genuinely needing it IMO.]
      Mon nez est parfait! Knocky's Nose's Avatar

8 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vegster View Post
      A pals daughter is trousering obscene amounts of money at the age of 32 as a slightly senior Estate Agent. Stick with it, unless you are an entrepreneur or solicitor or a Dentist it's not worth jumping ship.
      I've earned £100k+ a year and been thoroughly miserable. I've been sat in a private cabin on a First Class flight to New York sipping Champagne, thoroughly miserable... whilst being surrounded by thoroughly miserable people. I've had dinner at the Burj Al Arab, surrounded by miserable people. I've been in private boxes at Old Trafford. the Amex and the O2 - surrounded by miserable dickheads. Money can get you the trappings like cars, watches and hotels. It can get you into nice places where you can eat nice food and drink nice wine - but if you're unhappy in the first place, you're just doing nice things whilst you're unhappy. It kinda cancels itself out..

I've always said (after an upbringing on a shit poor council estate in Bradford) "If you don't have to worry about paying the electric bill or gas bill, the weekly shop isn't a problem, the kids are warm, fed and clothed, and you don't have to worry about paying for a holiday - you're rich". I stand by that.

You spend the majority of your waking hours working. Be happy doing that. If you are, you've got a good life. The rest will follow, because if you really enjoy something you'll become good at it. Being good at something means you'll get paid well - and then it all turns the circle
      Ce Qui Donne?
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Farehamseagull View Post
      Been an estate agent for about 16 years and I've had enough. To be honest with you I've never enjoyed it, but it's not exactly the hardest job in the word so I've done ok at it and earned decent money. Have wanted to quit for years but because of mortgage/kids etc I've never wanted to take the risk of starting again and earning less money so instead I've changed job every couple of years in the hope of finding some happiness which I never have. The truth is I really don't like sales, it doesn't suit my personality at all but I've found it hard to get out.

I've struggled with it for years but it's really started to get me down recently. I've been suffering from stress quite a bit this year and I hate going to work each day - it is therefore also effecting my home life and I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful family so don't want to bring them down. With support from my other half we've agreed I do need to do something about it now as the way things are, people my age are going to be working for another 35 years or so which is a long time to be unhappy.

I fell in to estate agency as college/university just wasn't for me so unfortunately I don't have any qualifications or skills as such but i have always enjoyed being outside, practical and DIY etc. My brother in law is a brickie so I have helped him out a couple of times and I'm going to go on a part time course and work a bit with him at weekends whilst still working full time to hopefully train up to start working in the building industry. It will also mean that some of the experience I've built up in property will still go to a little use.

So I thought i'd put it out to the fount of knowledge that is NSC and see if anyone here has had a similar experience and changed career in late 30's/40's and how it worked out? Also any brickies/builders out there want to share their opinions on the job?!
      Good luck to you that's all! Thats a lot of years left, and if its making you unhappy, get out. Think of like changing halves at half time! I am of a similar age (well a little older) and doing something quite dissimilar to what I have done in the past. I've had to take lower pay for a bit, but hey , that will come, and doing work you enjoy going into makes (or for me anyway) a huuuge difference. Healthy and happy mostly comes ahead of money now. If you have got the support of your family and it takes the pressure off a bit, happy days. Its tough without that!!!

I'm sure you wont look back But you will at 65 I imagine and hadn't tried. Go for it

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Knocky's Nose View Post
      I've earned £100k+ a year and been thoroughly miserable. I've been sat in a private cabin on a First Class flight to New York sipping Champagne, thoroughly miserable... whilst being surrounded by thoroughly miserable people. I've had dinner at the Burj Al Arab, surrounded by miserable people. I've been in private boxes at Old Trafford. the Amex and the O2 - surrounded by miserable dickheads. Money can get you the trappings like cars, watches and hotels. It can get you into nice places where you can eat nice food and drink nice wine - but if you're unhappy in the first place, you're just doing nice things whilst you're unhappy. It kinda cancels itself out..

I've always said (after an upbringing on a shit poor council estate in Bradford) "If you don't have to worry about paying the electric bill or gas bill, the weekly shop isn't a problem, the kids are warm, fed and clothed, and you don't have to worry about paying for a holiday - you're rich". I stand by that.

You spend the majority of your waking hours working. Be happy doing that. If you are, you've got a good life. The rest will follow, because if you really enjoy something you'll become good at it. Being good at something means you'll get paid well - and then it all turns the circle
      You are taking the piss right? Try being miserable on £15k a year and come back to me then.
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

" Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015

0 Not allowed!
      - Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost always better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract. -

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Knocky's Nose View Post

Briliant post.

I had colleagues so unhappy with their job/boss, for years, decades even, who wouldn't leave because of the OK money and because their negative parents had told them "Better the devil you know" or "Careful jumping from the frying pan into the fire". They described Sunday's as having that sick 'back to school feeling', so it even affected a chunk of their leisure time.

Life really is too short and precious. Do not stay in a job/career where you're unhappy and nothing material is going to change.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vegster View Post
      You are taking the piss right? Try being miserable on £15k a year and come back to me then.
      Nonsense. There are highly paid people, trapped with huge financial commitments, or under immense work pressures, who take their lives or otherwise harm themself.
      Last edited by Weststander; 29-10-2018 at 23:19.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Life is too short to do something you hate. Follow your heart mate and you won't go to far wrong.

You'll find the way.