Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Career change at 36

10 Not allowed!
    Been an estate agent for about 16 years and I've had enough. To be honest with you I've never enjoyed it, but it's not exactly the hardest job in the word so I've done ok at it and earned decent money. Have wanted to quit for years but because of mortgage/kids etc I've never wanted to take the risk of starting again and earning less money so instead I've changed job every couple of years in the hope of finding some happiness which I never have. The truth is I really don't like sales, it doesn't suit my personality at all but I've found it hard to get out.

I've struggled with it for years but it's really started to get me down recently. I've been suffering from stress quite a bit this year and I hate going to work each day - it is therefore also effecting my home life and I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful family so don't want to bring them down. With support from my other half we've agreed I do need to do something about it now as the way things are, people my age are going to be working for another 35 years or so which is a long time to be unhappy.

I fell in to estate agency as college/university just wasn't for me so unfortunately I don't have any qualifications or skills as such but i have always enjoyed being outside, practical and DIY etc. My brother in law is a brickie so I have helped him out a couple of times and I'm going to go on a part time course and work a bit with him at weekends whilst still working full time to hopefully train up to start working in the building industry. It will also mean that some of the experience I've built up in property will still go to a little use.

So I thought i'd put it out to the fount of knowledge that is NSC and see if anyone here has had a similar experience and changed career in late 30's/40's and how it worked out? Also any brickies/builders out there want to share their opinions on the job?!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Not Posh as Fook

5 Not allowed!
      Firstly, well done for taking the leap. That's the hardest part accomplished!

I was made redundant at 33 from a career I absolutely hated. It was the best thing that ever happened to me and gave me the kick up the jacksy I needed to pursue something I would really enjoyed doing. A lot of perseverance and dealing with rejection, and I'm now in a job I love, and I'm generally a nicer bloke to be around (I think!)

Good luck and you will look back in 1/2 years and think it's the best thing you've ever done.
      Sport is war minus the shooting. G.Orwell

2 Not allowed!
      Complete change in career at 34/35 to become a train driver after quitting a nice (but completely different) job to go travelling. Best decision I ever made.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Farehamseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      With support from my other half we've agreed I do need to do something about it now !

My friend if that is the case i'm sure all will be fine in the end. It's a joint decision when you have a family, and you are clearly united and up for the challenge.
      Good luck, it won't be easy, but you'll be alright

2 Not allowed!
      Quit a job I hated about 4 years ago to go travelling and then change career and I've not looked back since. Admittedly I was late 20s, but I don't regret it for a second.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      Quit a job I hated about 4 years ago to go travelling and then change career and I've not looked back since. Admittedly I was late 20s, but I don't regret it for a second.
      What's the new career?
      Half Hawaiian Half Greek Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Trained as an Architect and worked as one in London and Costa Rica until about 30, then 4 years ago my wife and I opened a restaurant/food stand as a side that ended up becoming my full time job.
      PURA VIDA MAE

2 Not allowed!
      36 is no age, you're a young man. Focus on your family and your life outside of work and keep doing what you're doing, learn some new skills and see what you fancy doing. A friend of mine is a dentist but hates it, he's doing a lot of studying at the moment with the intention of changing jobs as soon as possible but he's in a similar position to you, he needs to bide his time.

Good luck to you, Fareham Seagull and I hope you feel less stress on a daily basis.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Danson View Post
      Complete change in career at 34/35 to become a train driver .
      \

I've applied a couple of times but always fail the psychological test!

12 Not allowed!
      I left my old job and career behind in May 2017 (I was 33 at the time) to move up to Northumberland to live with my partner.

Fast-forward to now and I'm in a completely different job and career, but one that I enjoy far more than I ever did my old job, and it is much less stressful as well. My partner and I got engaged earlier this year and literally yesterday we moved into the flat we've just bought together.

There have been tough parts along the way, but taking that leap is one of the best things I have ever done - sometimes it gets to the point where you NEED a change, and it sounds like you're there.

Go for it and don't stress too much if there are tricky patches - you'll get there and you'll feel much better in every single way when you do.
      REMF Quiz Champion 2016